How do I determine the age/value of this halberd
Found in attic. Is it a valueble antique or a rusty 8th grade shop project?

Attachment: 159.33 KB
halberd 008.jpg

Some close up photos with a bit better light would be of help. It is or is meant to be a pole arm that appears to exhibit traits of both late partizans and late halberds. I can make out the remains of one langet but cannot tell from the photo if the other is there.
I have way better close ups and will attach them now. Hope you can help. Liike I said I dont have any idea if it is a truly valueable antique or a 30 year old rusty theater prop. Thanks in advance for your input.
Hal

Attachment: 165.43 KB
halberd 012.jpg

Attachment: 155.41 KB
halberd 011.jpg

Attachment: 167.23 KB
halberd 014.jpg

Looks like it's from the early 1700s, with a repaired blade. Note what appears to be a lap weld where the blade joins the base with its curved arms. The socket seems OK construction-wise for an antique partisan.

--ElJay
I would agree that the blade has been forge-welded on with a lap weld. Two points really stick out for that, the blade has oxidized a different color than the base, which leads me to thing they are different steels, and the seam of teh weld curves to the point on one side and to the socket on the other. Unfortunately, it is difficult to determine just how the socket is welded to the base, as it seems there are remains of paint (lacquer?) or a layer of goethite hiding the weld seam.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: