Swords with finger rings: looking for pics
Hey guys hopefuly somebody here will be able to help me out. I'm looking for pictures of swords with a single finger ring attached to the cross, so far the only example I've seen is the one from Alexandria (I think it's XIX no.1 in Oakeshott's Records). Thanks in advance.
Here are a couple...

Attachment: 42.61 KB
HeribertSeitz-012.jpg

Attachment: 7.46 KB
31954.jpg

I love the hand-and-a-half with the fingerbugel (sorry, no umlaut on my keyboard).

I don't think that it is a XIX, but it's hard to tell from that photo.

I searched for a translation for Parierstrange - perhaps guard or quillon?

Here is another photo of that sword, from its home in Armeria Reale, Turin - Italian, circa 1350. Could it be a XVIa?

Attachment: 12.69 KB
fingerring turin 1350s.jpg

Roger Hooper wrote:
I searched for a translation for Parierstrange - perhaps guard or quillon?

That word translates roughly as something like "parrying bar" and is used as we use the term guard/cross.
Tim Lison wrote:
Here are a couple...

Tim, that last blade calls to me. Would you call it a baselard? Where is that picture from? Any more info? Direct me to any other threads on it?

Sorry Stephen, you're probably not looking for repros, but here are two of my finger-ringed favorites, the "Cranach" by Pavel Moc & Co., and another masterpiece by Rob Miller of Castle Keep:

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]
E Sideris wrote:
Tim Lison wrote:
Here are a couple...

Tim, that last blade calls to me. Would you call it a baselard? Where is that picture from? Any more info? Direct me to any other threads on it?

It is a baselard. I've attached a close up. Here are some other baselards that are similar. I believe the one I posted earlier was from Hermann Historica auction house. The ones with the black background in this post are from Czerny's auction house. The other photo is from another thread here on myArmoury a long time ago that I can't remember...

Attachment: 87.83 KB
from The Bayerisches Nat_ museum.jpg

Attachment: 18.91 KB
31954_b.jpg

Attachment: 17.38 KB
G35974_1.jpg

Attachment: 41.73 KB
G35974_2.jpg

Oh my goodness,that Rob Miller piece must be one of the most beautiful swords I have ever seen!!!! :eek:
E Sideris wrote:
Tim Lison wrote:
Here are a couple...

It's from a German Auction House called Hermann Historica:

http://www.hermann-historica.de/auktion/hhm47...at47_2.txt

The 3rd one that Tim posted is from an Italian auction house called Czerny's.

See attached pic.

Danny

Attachment: 130.15 KB
[ Download ]
Isaac H. wrote:
Oh my goodness,that Rob Miller piece must be one of the most beautiful swords I have ever seen!!!! :eek:

And it's MINE!! Mwahahahaha!

I was going to post pics of it on this thread, but was obviously beaten to it. Rob also made me a dagger to match, but that does not have a finger ring...

Glad you like it, Isaac :)

Cheers,

Ant
Does this count? It does have 2 rings instead of one. :D

Attachment: 103.73 KB
finger_sword_ring.png

Ant Mercer wrote:

And it's MINE!! Mwahahahaha!

Stunning blade Ant! Please post pictures of the entire blade once you have it in hands.

Cheers,

J
Ant your sword is amazing, congratulations! Rob Miller certainly has talent.

I found more pictures here http://www.castlekeep.co.uk/gallery.asp?galleryid=267, but if you find some time, please post more photos!

Cheers!
Here's a color pic of the one from Turin.
Dan
[ Linked Image ]
One of these days I must commission A&A to make me a custom version of that Turin sword.
There are also reproductions based on period types like the Albion Doge and the Albion Condotiere:
http://www.albion-swords.com/swords/albion/ne...an-xix.htm
http://www.albion-swords.com/swords/albion/ne...re-xix.htm

And the Del Tin 2151 Sword of Alexandria Type XIX:
http://www.myArmoury.com/review_dt2151.html
Here is another replica -

A fair while back, I asked Armart to make me a custom version of Oakeshott Records XIX.7. They have since marketed it as a production sword, S34.

They did a good job, except for the grooves on the ricasso. The scabbard is very nice.

Attachment: 49.57 KB
armart3.jpg

Attachment: 29.94 KB
armart scabbard.jpg

Attachment: 37.22 KB
armartfull.jpg

Attachment: 20.2 KB
armart hilt.jpg

Hey guys, sorry for the delay in my reply, I was having some trouble with my computer. Anyways, thanks for the pics everyone, and if anyone knows of any other examples please share them, also if their are any paintings of this kind of sword, I would love to see them.
Resurrecting an old thread - I found another sword with a finger ring at Hermann Historica. It is Italian, dating from around 1435, with a 112.5cm overall length

Attachment: 63.48 KB
italian ring 1435s.jpg

Attachment: 93.33 KB
italian ring2s.jpg

Attachment: 99.35 KB
italian ring 3s.jpg

Nice find Roger. Thanks for sharing.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: