New Odin Leaf Blade
Hey guys, here's a new leaf blade for you to look at. I would call it Proximus, but not my call ;) Let me know what you think!

Thanks for viewing

Attachment: 134.08 KB
DSCF0005 (Medium).JPG

Attachment: 136.06 KB
proximus (Medium).JPG

Attachment: 129.51 KB
DSCF0006 (Medium).JPG

Attachment: 132.21 KB
DSCF0007 (Medium).JPG

Beautiful work, John! Is that etching or inlay on the blade?
It's etching.

I posted this elsewhere as well but thought I'd put my initial thoughts here too. While in part influenced by history, this is my only non historically based piece. In fact its actually one of my few pieces that is not a smallsword.

I haven't taken the time to measure out the stats fully yet (though John might have them still). Just holding it and visual eyeballing for those interested, I estimate it to be about 30 inches in blade length and 1.5 pounds but I could be off. Fit and finish is superb and the scabbard is a nice snug fit. The darkened bronze is a very nice aesthetic touch and with the dark stain bringing out the details of the tiger maple its become one of my favorite combinations (yes that's wood, not leather).

I haven't measured it yet, but the POB I bet is a little further out to 5 inches from the "guard" due to the subtle leaf blade shape, but the balance and weight is such that its not difficult to change directions or manage this one in handling at all and in fact, it feels more like handling a chinese jian than anything else. Packaging was very nice and secure in a small wooden box with padding to help protect it during shipping. After my customary initial wipe-down after shipping I can say this thing is sharp as I noted some of the cloth had new clean linear separations where the edge ran along it.

I had a long post about this story behind this piece but I think its best to just let the pictures do the talking instead. I'll say that it looks even better in person.

John is an artist when it comes to his work, from details in shape and execution to color choices and as a patron of the custom market, I very much look forward to doing business with him again.
Gorgeous sword!! I like almost everything about this sword, from the color combination to the shape of the blade and the excellent choice of hilt components.

Congratulations!
Beautiful work the engraving really works with this sword and enhance the blade rather than make it " fussy " if it was overdone. :cool:
John,
Great stuff, as always. All your pieces have a signature look that's unmistakable, a little different, and refreshing. Your work is always visually pleasing and artistic.
Wow. John I am a great admirer of your work. Once again you have done a beautiful job.
Thanks folks! I know the boot in a couple pictures has got to go. They're not magazine quality but you can get maybe some scale with it;)
that is beautiful work...
Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Beautiful work the engraving really works with this sword and enhance the blade rather than make it " fussy " if it was overdone. :cool:

Etched, not engraved.
Really nice craftsmanship. The etching is well done.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: