Antique/ancient axes for ID
About 20ish years ago I bought a collection of very antique English/European axes.
At the time I rehafted a couple (long gone now) but there is a limit to the amount of axes I can stomach having on the wall, the rest of them ended up stored away.
Anyhow, I've dug them out and would appreciate any thoughts on their origins. They ranged in date back to late medieval.

Here's the first, I've always thought is was some kind of battle axe (but I could of course be wrong!)

Weight is around 1300g. Dimensions as shown.

#2 Medieval battle axe
As the title says, this was labeled as medieval.
Dimensions as shown, weight around 800g.
Thoughts?

#3 Unknown
Interesting initials 'H.P' on boht sides.
Large size as shown, weight around 2.3kg

#4 unknown
Again an unknown type, in excavated condition.
Some deep pitting and loss of surface, dimensions as shown, weight just under 1400g.

#5 final unknown
Lastly (unless I find more in the shed!)
Another unknown type.
Sizes as shown, weight 2150g

These axes are all very heavy so I would say they are wood axes, not battle axes. I can't say anything more though.
Axe no.1 looks english, very similar to the basic trade type so popular with fur traders, but somewhat larger. I think circa late 17th-18th century.
No.2 looks like, if at all, Afghan, rather european. Not medieval, probably 19th century.
No. 3+4 are french felling axes with no.3 being a peculiar one. No.4 is a classic, heavily pitted. I cannot recall now the exact region of France, no.4 dates to 1800-1850, no.3 might be earlier.
No.5 is the oldest axe, west-central european, appr.17th century.
Thanks for the ideas chaps.
Anyone else have anything to add?

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: