Albion Castellan
My Albion Castellan arrived today. Many people don't care for XVa's and prefer to have swords that are primarilly cutters. I like all kinds of swords, but I do have a liking for finesse blades. The castellan is certainly that.. It is mainly a thruster, seeking the chinks in your plate armor, but it will cut satisfactorilly. It can be used easily with one hand, even better with two, and can stop on a dime. It feels very light, well balanced. it has a great looking pommel thatis also very functional and friendly to the hand, fittling well into the heel of the left palm to add weight to the thrust. the only thing that disappoints me a little is that the blue grip wrap I asked for is so dark that it might as well be black. I was hoping it would be brighter.

I took some pictures. Below are the best of a bad lot.

Attachment: 78.71 KB
DSCN2465.JPG

Attachment: 46.62 KB
DSCN2467.JPG

One more picture

Attachment: 94.99 KB
DSCN2459.JPG

Congrats Roger,
Pics two and three show a nice blue handle on my screen,
Nice sword.thanks for sharing,
That's a beauty Roger :D

I kind of like the dark blue which shows up pretty good in the pictures by the way.

That sword is growing on me big time. Well, there's always next year :\

Gary
I'm with Gary. The more I see of this one the more I like it.

Any full length shots available?
Lee O'Hagan wrote:
Congrats Roger,

The camera flash seems to bring out the blue in the photos. To the eye it looks much darker.

Also, even a close up picture doesn't bring out all the subtleties of the pommel.
Be interesting to see some natural light shots,
The first pic does seem a nearly black colour,
Would this lighten with use, ?
i dont have any colours myself barring black or brown,(in leather)
Good description too,
as the couple of Qs i had you already answered,

Do you have anything planned for this scabbard wise ?
Roger Hooper wrote:
Lee O'Hagan wrote:
Congrats Roger,

The camera flash seems to bring out the blue in the photos. To the eye it looks much darker.

Also, even a close up picture doesn't bring out all the subtleties of the pommel.

Hey Roger, if your really not happy with the color you can always send the sword to me. I think it might look nice next to my Viceroy with the deep plum grip. :D :lol:
Gary Grzybek wrote:

Hey Roger, if your really not happy with the color you can always send the sword to me. I think it might look nice next to my Viceroy with the deep plum grip. :D :lol:

Hey, I said I was only a little disappointed with the color. :p I think most, if not all the colors Albion has decided to go with are kind of muted. Perhaps they want the grips to have a "broken in" appearance. One thing - I have 3 Next Gens now (Gotland, Sovereign, Castellan) and not one of their grip wraps has bled color onto my hand, even on the first day I got them. There are swords that I have bought elsewhere where it took almost a month for my palms not to get stained by the grip.

If I gave the impression I was disappointed with this sword, that's definitely not so. It is actually quite beautiful, simple yet subtle in the way Oakeshott described Medieval swords. It's got a real mean point, too.
Roger Hooper wrote:
Gary Grzybek wrote:

Hey, I said I was only a little disappointed with the color. :p I think most, if not all the colors Albion has decided to go with are kind of muted. Perhaps they want the grips to have a "broken in" appearance. One thing - I have 3 Next Gens now (Gotland, Sovereign, Castellan) and not one of their grip wraps has bled color onto my hand, even on the first day I got them. There are swords that I have bought elsewhere where it took almost a month for my palms not to get stained by the grip.

If I gave the impression I was disappointed with this sword, that's definitely not so. It is actually quite beautiful, simple yet subtle in the way Oakeshott described Medieval swords. It's got a real mean point, too.

Oh, I doubt anyone had an impression you were disappointed. Sometimes things just dont turn out how we visualize them in our heads. The grip on my Viceroy came out more deep reddish brown than the purple I imagined. I did ask for dark plum and that's really what I got. I'm certainly not disappointed. All of my Next Gen grip colors are unique and diffirent in a very subtle way and that's cool in my book :cool:

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: