Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Two Irish Clubs..., following on the previous theme. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Mike Sullivan

PostPosted: Mon 21 Mar, 2011 11:56 am    Post subject: Two Irish Clubs..., following on the previous theme.         Reply with quote

Hello Folks -

Thank you for allowing me to participate in your forum. My general collecting area is militaria from the Great War period. However, as with most collectors, it tends to bend a bit. Eek!

Following is a photo of two Irish Clubs that were found in the attic of a Boston Home, where a few generations ago there was a Police Officer in the BPD.

One is, of course, a private purchase Bog Oak Billy Club as was used by Irish Police Officers in the last half of the 19th Century. I believe the other has a similar origin, but have never seen a similar example. I wondered if anyone would have any thoughts on it?

It is quite the 'nasty' club and I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end. Shows a great deal of age and is surprisingly light weight. Length is 14"s.

Any thoughts appreciated!

- Mike

Attachment: 94.68 KB
Two Irish Clubs found in the attic of a Boston Home. [ Download ]

Mike S,
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Mon 21 Mar, 2011 2:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mike, welcome to the site and I really like these clubs each for it's how reasons: A sculptured and worked on club can be great art but a natural club is also something that reaches deeply into my aesthetic sense and I love walking sticks and have made quite a few myself.

It doesn't hurt that I also have taken quarterstaff classes for a couple of years ( Jeu de la hache related in the way it was thought by my longsword group unfortunately disbanded ..... sigh Sad ).

Beautiful wood grain and texture is so very much sensual and a visual pleasure and that is one of the reasons why I like walking sticks as well as being nice to have for long long walks.

I tend to like the walking stick length clubs because, unless they are outrageously massive or aggressive looking, one can use them every day as walking sticks: That said these shorter sticks are very nice. Big Grin Cool

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Jack W. Englund

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Mon 21 Mar, 2011 5:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

When I was an LEO in the mid 60s, we carried the "old night stick" ( & trained to use effectively) sim .to the 1st pic but with out carving. Also had a 36" riot stick in the trunk.

Still carry a "staff" or a "cane" most of the time ( although I am also "armed".

Jack

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Two Irish Clubs..., following on the previous theme.
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic