Question 1: I have been reading Sean Flynt's excellent article on antiquing new sword replicas (http://www.myArmoury.com/feature_antique.html) and I am in the process of trying out these techniques on an old "Agincourt Archer" sword that I own (with brass cross guard and pommel). The sword has an entirely steel wire-wrapped handle with no exposed leather and I was wondering how best to "age" it--would I use the salt & vinegar as with the blade?

Question 2: I recently received a PC practical basket hilt broadsword as a present and I would also like to do some "aging" of the sword. Most of the blade has a satin finish except for the upper fuller, which is polished. I would prefer to have the whole blade polished (and then antiqued). Has anyone polished a satin-finished blade before, and how much work am I looking at? Also, I would like to do some "wear and tear" work to the "blued" basket without stripping off the factory-applied black paint. Any suggestions on just some light distressing?

By the way, I freely admit to being "metallurgically challenged"--my area of scholarly expertise is in medieval church woodwork!