Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > the lost oakeshott sword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Tom Kinder

PostPosted: Sun 13 Mar, 2011 1:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Cornelis,

that's some great info, thank you. currently Gus Trim is working on making some XIIIb swords for us and he is using some info on a couple other historical examples but more information on more swords would help. I'd be very grateful if we could get some thickness measurements on that blade. any other information would be great too. this is very exciting news and I'm sure we aren't the only ones interested.

thank you for everything you have provided so far and if you cannot or chose not to provide anymore then we thank you for what we have and are happy.
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Sun 13 Mar, 2011 5:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

1.5mm at the CoP is veeery thin. This leads me to believe that these swords are meant for cutting opponents in mostly textile defences like gambesons and jacks, less mail armored opponents. And since these swords are gifts to Mamluks from Kingdom of Cyprus it might be that eastern mediterranean areas preferred light armor for most troops. Or not, who knows. Wink
William P

PostPosted: Thu 25 Aug, 2011 7:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Scott Kowalski wrote:
That is a grea big honkin man sword for sure. Thank you for posting the pictures of it Cornelis. I would also be interested in seeing what the measurements on this sword are as well. I also agree that iti is great to see that the sword that first sparcked Ewart's interest is still around.

Scott

my first thinking was 'dats a big ass sword.

and indeed what struck me about that sword is not its length,. but that it was so broad AND long AND had such a miniscule handle compred to the size of the blade. and if that thing handles even reasonably better than a crowbar id be impressed, and from what your saying about the thickness i think itll handle amazingly,

but if one were to add skulls and wings and dragons hjeads plus some runes THAT would be a blade made for the hand of conan because it is BEASTLY

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > the lost oakeshott sword
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: