Go to page Previous  1, 2

Time for an update, as I've made substantial progress in recent days. Had to get scabbard core almost finished before I could properly fit the chappe. Blade tip re-profiled, but no new edge or finish yet. Pommel, nut and cross are finished. Grip mostly done. Chappe shaped but not stitched or finished. Scabbard core almost finished. Chape reshaped to fit scabbard core but not fully modified or finished. Very rough assembly here. Hope to cover grip in coming days. I'd be happier with a bit less mass in the pommel since I switched to the lighter Windlass blade, but the piece is coming together pretty much as imagined.

Attachment: 198.46 KB
talhoffer.gif

Attachment: 192.83 KB
talhoffer2.gif

A few quick shots:

Attachment: 155.08 KB
talhoffer1.gif

Attachment: 181.45 KB
talhoffer2.gif

Attachment: 194.15 KB
tallhoffer3.gif

Attachment: 102.42 KB
talhoffer5.gif

Attachment: 176.72 KB
tallhoffer6.gif

Attachment: 209.92 KB
talhoffer7.gif

Attachment: 208.51 KB
talhoffer8.gif

Attachment: 155.87 KB
talhoffer9.gif

I'm impressed, but also curious. I know you like to put chapes on everything, but was there a specific rationale for the peen block or nut? It does not appear to be a feature in the pictures you show as inspiration.

Hey... You just gave me an idea. I have a hand-and-a-half I'm slowly making a single hander right now, I wonder if I can fake up a chape for it. Crossguard is thick, and the scabbard is as well, but...
some of the other swords in that edition appear to have a peen block like this. i don't think any are shown with chappe, but that's unusual. as far as i can tell, most German/Austrian swords had them.
Sean,
Your work always impresses me, and this is no exception. I love it!

Jonathan
Go to page Previous  1, 2

Page 2 of 2

Jump to: