Dudgeons...
Hi All,

I have recently completed a couple of dudgeon daggers and hope you like them.

One is a complex piece based on a knife recently for sale and is dated 1606 on the blade etching. This dagger has a 10" hollow ground blade with an etched motif copied from the original. The handle is holly that has been ebonised and the haunch washers and the peen washer are all two part constructions from brass. The scabbard was not with the original knife and I have used a 17thC one from 'Wallace' as a start point for both the decoration and the chape.

The other dagger is a much simpler piece and is meant to represent the early stages of transition from bollock dagger, through this sort of proto-dudgeon, to the dudgeon and then on to the dirk proper. This piece would date to late 16thC and retains some of the form of the 'balls'. The hilt is ebonised box and the 12" blade is..........well you can see better than I can write.

Regards

Tod

Attachment: 204.82 KB
ml dudgeon5 small.jpg

Attachment: 224.2 KB
ml dudgeon6 small.jpg

Attachment: 171.71 KB
ml dudgeon7 small.jpg

Attachment: 148.59 KB
ml dudgeon1 small.jpg

Attachment: 181.69 KB
dudgeon 1 small.jpg

Attachment: 202.62 KB
dudgeon 2 small.jpg

Very sweet pair Leo. On the second, is the back of the blade flat or hollow?
Beautiful! I love these (yours and type in general). Such subtle and harmonious interpretation here. Wonderful stuff!
Sean Flynt wrote:
Beautiful! I love these (yours and type in general). Such subtle and harmonious interpretation here. Wonderful stuff!

Couldn't say it better so I second that. :D :cool:
Fantastic work. I love them both.
By coincidence, my 3 year-old son and I were looking through T. Capwell's book on knives and daggers last night and saw the famous etched dudgeon dagger. The boy pointed to it and said, "That's beautiful! That's perfect for me!". :lol:
Thank you guys, I really appreciate your compliments.

The back of the blade is flat.

Regards

Tod
I love them. Earlier this year, I had tried to talk myself out of being interested in the type but this pulls me right back in. I find myself having way to many interests. You probably have noticed that already. It's seeing work like this that reminds me why exactly why I'm constantly drawn to the diversity of things.
That etched piece is absolutely gorgeous, Tod. I've never really looked at dudgeons, as they are just a bit beyond my favorite periods... but I really want that one -- gorgeous. Great work!
They are very pleasing to the eye, great fusion of form and function there. Impressed....

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: