Suspending axes and maces from belts?
Hello,

A Sword or dagger hanging from a belt in its scabbard is in itself an iconic image of medieval times, but what about hand axes and maces? Certainly their wielders could sometimes do well to suspend those weapons from their belts to keep their hands free, but do we know how they did that, or if they even actually did do it? I imagine that carrying a spiked mace or axe anywhere near your body would be a risk of injuring yourself in case of a fall or tumble. Perhaps they were instead hung on the side of one's steed or in the hands of a squire?

Any enlightenment on this issue would be interesting. I've a fanciful horseman's axe that I ordered from Arms & Armor and I'd love to wear it in my belt while donning a period suit. :)

Thanks,
Emil Andersson
Mace Axe Suspension
Hi,

I have seen quite a few single handed warhammers and horseman's axes with an intergral belt clip on one side of the handle at the end closest to the hammer/axe head. I have not seen many reproductions incorporating this feature however.

Terry
Axes, batons and so on are usually stuffed under a belt, and worn diagonaly on the back or right hip. This is the most convenient way to carry them around, as it keeps them from gangling around the legs. Weapons up to 1m length can be carried this way, though they tend to snag in doorways and crowds.
Elling Polden wrote:
Axes, batons and so on are usually stuffed under a belt, and worn diagonaly on the back or right hip. This is the most convenient way to carry them around, as it keeps them from gangling around the legs. Weapons up to 1m length can be carried this way, though they tend to snag in doorways and crowds.

That has been my experience as well, especially with axes. Haven't carried a mace around though...but I think with thick clothing or in armor it wouldn't be a problem carried around in this way.
Elling Polden wrote:

For maces and blunt axes I absolutely agree, just stick them under the belt. For sharp axes I tend to chafe and even cut my clothing or myself unless I have a stiff leather loop (as seen in my avatar) so it doesn't ride around and also edge covering.

Has anyone exampels from art depictions of this? I'd be thrilled to see how they did it historically.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: