Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > The first Fechtschule in San Antonio, TX Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 
Anders Linnard

PostPosted: Tue 15 Mar, 2011 12:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Christian Henry Tobler wrote:
Since there was no such thing as a 'fencing club' (guilds at the time weren't equivalent to what we do) in late medieval Germany, chosing a name for a club is an inherently an anachronistic process. And that's saying nothing of the fact that our organizations don't do what they did anyway, so it seems to me a lot of fuss over little.

Cheers,

Christian

It is only anachronistic if you use the word fechtschule. Using the terms club, society, group or school is not anachronistic at all, since all of our clubs are modern.

/A

Founder & instructor of GHFS - Fäktning, kampsport, träning i Göteborg
Member of HEMAC
Christian Henry Tobler

PostPosted: Tue 15 Mar, 2011 7:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Anders,

Yes, but the pushback has been related to whether this is a historically correct name to use. Since we're naming modern organizations, who cares whether the term originated in the 15th or 18th century for organizational use.

Hi Roger,

Thanks for another great post. I agree that this term is likely pretty broad in scope.

The problem with being pedantic about this kind of issue is that a look in the mirror reveals similar problems. "Fechtschule America" (which, btw, I think is a *great* name) includes many elements completely unrelated to an early 16th century fechtschule, in the 'event' sense: formal classes (including one on "English Quarterstaff"), lectures, and presentations. None of the above, while part and parcel of many modern HEMA events, has anything to do with the 16th century events. So, if our definition of fechtschule follows only those discussed in Mr. Amberger's article, the use of the term is historically incorrect here as well.

Cheers,

Christian

Christian Henry Tobler
Order of Selohaar

Freelance Academy Press: Books on Western Martial Arts and Historical Swordsmanship

Author, In Saint George's Name: An Anthology of Medieval German Fighting Arts
Allen Foster

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Tue 15 Mar, 2011 9:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Scott Brown wrote:
Allen Foster wrote:
I don't know about the rest of you but if I ever find myself facing Scott Brown in a longsword match, I not even going to mention the word
Eek! "Fechtschule" Eek!

LOL, not at all, Allen. I don't get emotionally attached to chat-room discussions on the Internet. My goal here is to educate folks like Christopher and do do not confuse a little ignorance with stupidity. To clarify that, I look at these types of things through the old-world wisdom of my grandfather who loved to distinguish between ignorance and stupidity. Basically..."Ignorance is doing something wrong and not knowing it, doing something wrong and knowing it is stupidity." Of course, he always followed this with a sidelong look and the classic "...and you just can't fix stupid". Big Grin May he R.I.P.

Why he chose to always reiterate this piece of wisdom to me personally is another matter altogether!.... Laughing Out Loud

Besides, when it comes to fencing it's all business, never personal. Getting emotional while fencing is the mark of the amateur or the easily bested in my experience. Too many distractions that confuse the endgame if you get emotional if you ask me. Wink

Scott,

I understand completely what you are saying. My comment was really just a little self-deprecative humor to provide levity to the discussion on one hand and to signify my embarrassment that I had initially underestimated how strongly you felt about the issue on the other. Anyhow, your grandfather sounds like he was a cool guy. I would have enjoyed meeting him.

"Rise up, O Lord, and may thy enemies be dispersed and those who hate thee be driven from thy face."
Roger Norling

PostPosted: Mon 21 Mar, 2011 8:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This may or may not be relevant to the discussion. Not quite sure yet: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/F%C3%BCrstenschule

The founding of these Landesschulen/Fürstenschulen appear to coincide pretty well with the common fechtschulen, at around the first half of the 16th century and onwards.

Quarterstaff instructor
Gothenburg Free Fencers Guild
http://www.gffg.se

Member of MFFG: http://www.freifechter.com
Member of HEMAC: http://www.hemac.org
Chief editor HROARR: http://www.hroarr.com

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > The first Fechtschule in San Antonio, TX
Page 4 of 4 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: