Wardruna, Norse music
Thought some folks in the community would enjoy this. Wardruna is a musical group from Norway that does musical interpretations of the Scandinavian Futhark, which is the Scandinavian runic alphabet. Their music is firmly rooted in historical Norse musical tradition and is really something amazing. They will ultimately be releasinig a trilogy of albums based on the runes of the futhark (currently only 1 is available). The guys out there particularly interested in the Viking era I think will especially appreciate their stuff. Anyway, here's a youtube link of one of their songs being performed live in the Oslo Viking Ship Museum, and below is an excerpt from their official website:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKMDcTnezvU

"Recordings partly take place outdoors at locations relevant to the different runes. The instruments we use are mainly old and historical instruments, such as deer-hide frame drums and ceremonial drums, mouth harp, clove / hoof rattles from deer and goat, bone flute, goat and cow horns, Hardanger fiddle and bowed lyres. More unconventional inputs like trees, stones, water, fire etc. are also employed to enhance the nature of the rune being ‘portrayed’."
- http://www.wardruna.com/about/

Enjoy!
-Ian
Old news for die hard Vikings ;)

Seen them perform live in front of the Gokstad ship a couple of years ago. Brilliant band ^^
A. Heidalen Skog wrote:
Old news for die hard Vikings ;)

Seen them perform live in front of the Gokstad ship a couple of years ago. Brilliant band ^^

Unfortunately here in the states, their album is really expensive because it needs to be imported. It's not actually reproduced here. i stumbled upon them because I knew Gaahl from Gorgoroth and saw his new direction and just thought Wardruna was awesome. I'd love to see them live. The female vocals are very haunting... it's almost cathartic listening to them when you're trying to relax.
Wardruna is without a doubt one of my favourite acts. Fun fact: Quite a few of the instruments is made by Kvitrafn (lead man of the band)

If they ever get to the states, I suggest you drop all you have, and go see them ^^

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: