Bringing Sword through Czech Republic Customs
Dear All,

I'm posting this on behalf of a Czech friend who is now working overseas:

This friend of mine wanted to purchase a sword (possibly a katana) then bring it home by putting it into his check-in luggage when he returns to Czech Republic.

I have this nagging concern that he may get into Customs problem at Czech immigration.

Can anyone advice/clarify on this? Thanks in advance.

Larry
Hallo Larry
If I understand good what you mean.
In Czech is free legislation as in anglosaxon countries. There is not immigration officers only alien police more for checking illegal works. We don´t know problem to date with terorism and imigration like in France or England.
Sword sharp or for fencing is like knife and knife are legal without restiction, only in City is better wearing sword in scabbart but police mann are wery toleration to it.
You don´t need registration your sword and If you live in EU you have no problem comming and wearing sword in Czech.
why not send it in a package via post ?
all the swords i ordered from czech came in a package, so the other way can`t be a problem either.
and i don`t think officials fear terrorists with swords.
I recently took an Albion Lichtenauer through Canadian, UK, and Finnish customs. I received comments at every stop, and had to visit the customs shed at every stop--but the officers (Canadian, Finnish and UK) were respectful and mostly just eager to get their hands on my toy. I lost a little time, but it wasn't bad at all.
Hi Larry!

There should not be big problems. Thoughts i have about this:

-Put the sword in the Check-In Luggage, it sure isnt allowed in Hand Luggage :)
-At he Arrival in Czech Republic, there should be a "Red Exit" at the Customs Checkpoint for "Goods to declare". To be sure your friend maybe should declare his sword to a Customs Officer there by himself. I dont know the Weapons Law there, but a sword should not be a problem to import.
But, depending on the Value of the Sword, there are maybe Import-Taxes, because he brings it from outside of the EU.
Or you just phone the customs station and ask to be realy sure :)

Greetings
Jörg
Thank You : )
Thank you all for your quick & valuable responses, gentlemen.

I shall advice my Czech friend accordingly - check-in luggage, declare items, be prepared for taxes, etc..

Larry

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: