myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Windlass Mace Project Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 
Johan Gemvik

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 23 Sep, 2011 1:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Colt,
I was just throwing the wire wrap idea out there earlier because it would balance the mace a bit and look good. I've never really seen it on maces but plenty on surviving swords from various ages. Doesn't mean it was unheard of though but I don't have any clear sources for it. Someone else here might though, certainly this is the forum to ask. Wink

Wire wrap is excellent to keep a good grip on a sword handle covered in blood running down it. Yes, I've unfortunately had IRL experience with that, though it was my own blood and from a sword sharpeing accident, nothing really serious fortunately, but hands tend to bleed a lot even from minor cuts. A spur of the moment thing, I just figured I'd try it at the time since I'd already had the accident, the handle had gotten smeared and slippery and I was curious if the old war stories were true, though after cleaning and taping up the cut of course. I found that the bloodied wire grip works especially well with the combination of a leather glove but did work with a bare hand to some degree. With a thin glove it actually stuck to the handle better than a dry grip with a bare hand. No swords were harmed during this testing.
If anyone's curious, the same effect was also had when using a water soaked glove, but with far less cleaning needed afterward. One might simulate heavy sweat or an extended running battle in rain with that I suppose.

But what I was thinking now is that blunt trauma weapons might not need this at all as much as cutting and thrusting blades for obvious reasons. So they might never have needed or used it.

"The Dwarf sees farther than the Giant when he has the giant's shoulder to mount on" -Coleridge
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Fri 23 Sep, 2011 6:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wire wrap was used on some mace grips. The example that comes to mind is a very complex checkerboard weave made with fine wire. I would expect there to be simpler applications of wire. If you're unsure, you could always wrap with heavy wire and then cover that with thin leather.
-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Windlass Mace Project
Page 3 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: