Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Windlass Mace Project Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next 
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 17 Feb, 2011 9:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jon K. wrote:
Nathan Robinson wrote:
the description from Museum Replicas catalog states that they are powder coated.

There you have it.

Just called MRL. They say that the finish is painted.

As I mentioned, the catalog says it's powder coated and so appears the version that my friend has. Regarding removing it, this product worked for him. It was messy.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Jon K.

PostPosted: Thu 17 Feb, 2011 12:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

How much is this process of removing the paint, powder coat, bluing or what-have-you, going to damage the mace itself. Will it make the metal more brittle and less functional?
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sun 20 Feb, 2011 9:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jon K. wrote:
How much is this process of removing the paint, powder coat, bluing or what-have-you, going to damage the mace itself. Will it make the metal more brittle and less functional?

Damage the metal and make it more brittle is highly improbable but a rough method using coarse grit would make cleaning up deep scratches more time consuming or using hand held grinders not being recommended.

The paint remover may be corrosive and if left on too long might do some damage and if they are small gaps between welds I could imagine that if the corrosive paint remover gets in there and is not cleaned out it might do some damage ?

On the other hand the cleaning stuff might just attack the paint and leave the metal untouched ? I really don't know but reading the warnings on the can might tell you.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Ant Mercer

Reading list: 13 books

PostPosted: Mon 21 Feb, 2011 1:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'll post some pics of my mace tomorrow, but fwiw the paint stripper I used won't damage the steel itself. It's marketed as being designed for use on wood, and leaving the bare wood in a good condition ready for re-finishing. It certainly didn't do my example any harm, even between welds.

Only of use to you if this other version is in fact painted, of course... Big Grin

Cheers,

Ant
Jon K.

PostPosted: Tue 22 Feb, 2011 12:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ant Mercer wrote:
I'll post some pics of my mace tomorrow, but fwiw the paint stripper I used won't damage the steel itself. It's marketed as being designed for use on wood, and leaving the bare wood in a good condition ready for re-finishing. It certainly didn't do my example any harm, even between welds.

Only of use to you if this other version is in fact painted, of course... Big Grin

Cheers,

Ant

Much appreciated.
Ant Mercer

PostPosted: Tue 22 Feb, 2011 1:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here are some pics as promised. Bear in mind that the bluing job wasn't a 100% success - I was down to my last few drops of solution and tried to make it go as far as possible. Ended up with a gunmetal-type finish which I quite liked.

The grip is just leather thonging glued and wrapped which I preferred to the leather wrap provided.

Hope the pics help.

Cheers,

Ant
Jon K.

PostPosted: Tue 22 Feb, 2011 3:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

First of all, you are DA MAN! Very nice job. The finish is fantastic. Did it look alot different before you added the Birchwood Casey? I would have thought the Birchwood Casey would add a more black finish.

Here are some pics as promised. Bear in mind that the bluing job wasn't a 100% success - I was down to my last few drops of solution and tried to make it go as far as possible. Ended up with a gunmetal-type finish which I quite liked.

The grip is just leather thonging glued and wrapped which I preferred to the leather wrap provided.

Hope the pics help.

Cheers,

Ant[/quote]
Ant Mercer

PostPosted: Wed 23 Feb, 2011 4:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aaawww... Big Grin

It really wasn't a tricky project - if it were, I wouldn't have been able to do it! The paint stripper did its job very well: dab it on; wait; dab some more on; it peals off. A wire brush helped get any remaining bits of paint out from between the fiddly bits. The finish underneath was nice: a brighter one than after the casey application, but nice enough. I did consider leaving it as it was, but wanted to carry on fiddling with it...

As I said, I was down to the last dregs of solution, so the darkening effect wasn't as intense as it would have been otherwise. I have blued hilts before, using a decent amount of solution, and the result has been much darker. The beauty of the stuff is that you can vary your results: keep treating with solution until it's black; or stop after one or two applications and wire-wool it until it's got a grey finish. If you don't like the look of it, just clean it off (I find brasso wadding works well enough) and start again.

Hope this helps with your decision, anyway!

Cheers,

Ant
Jon K.

PostPosted: Wed 23 Feb, 2011 8:42 am    Post subject: Smart Strip Anyone?         Reply with quote

Has anyone heard of this product. Its supposed to take the finish off just about anything without damaging the original surface. This little bottle has a hefty price tag at 15 bucks in a Manhattan hardware store. ( I probably wont be getting it there) Apparently you are supposed to leave this to dwell for 1-6 hours?!? I can just see myself coming back to my newly renovated (dissintegrated) Gothic mace. I figured I would ask if anyone had any experience before I spend the money. Would people advise against Zipstrip? What about using a wire brush drill bit on a low setting if sandpaper proves ineffective? Thanks for everyone's help and patience. I am new to this and although I love working with my hands, I am not that handy.[/list]
Eric G.

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Fri 25 Feb, 2011 9:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

John K and all –

It was when I saw the windlass German mace review by Mr. Sean Flynt that inspired me to do this myself. You see, I had purchased the Windlass’ Italian version of that mace about a year prior. I never really liked the black paint on it but never dared to mess with it for fear of screwing it up… ha. Well, so over the last few days I have been working on this mace myself.

At first I tried sanding it by running a 400 grit piece of sandpaper over the octagonal shaft. That got the more shiny lines up and down the shaft that you see.

After just a little bit I decided that was way too much work. The next time my wife went to the store I asked her to pick up some paint remover. She brought home this

John K. that pic is for you :-) I don’t know how much it was, but it must not have been much or my wife would have said something ;-)

I ended up applying 2 layers to the shaft and three to the head of the mace, letting it sit overnight every time. I used a scrap of wood to scrape the orange gunk and paint off of the shaft and a grout brush to scrape it off of the head.

I did some detail work with a razor and a nail, pictured below.

After that I cleaned it up and here is the result.

As you can tell there is still some shine on the shaft from where I sanded at first, so next I sanded ... and sanded... and sanded. When that was done I added some brown leather for the handle.

Any suggestions on how to further improve it are welcome. =)

Eric Gregersen
www.EricGregersen.com
Knowledge applied is power.
Johan Gemvik

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 28 Feb, 2011 6:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

How about you try wrapping the handle with wire?

Apart from that I think it looks nice as it is now. Rugged yes, but maces are supposed to be.

"The Dwarf sees farther than the Giant when he has the giant's shoulder to mount on" -Coleridge
Jon K.

PostPosted: Mon 28 Feb, 2011 7:50 pm    Post subject: Thanks         Reply with quote

First of all, I am new to the world of Arms & Armour collecting. I am pleasantly surprised how helpful and friendly everyone has been on these forums. I really appreciate it.

Well, I am still waiting for my mace to come in. Should be in this week. I am still not sure what am going to do as far as removing the finish. Eric...the job you did on your mace is fantastic and something I wouldn't mind having as an end result. I might take the same path.

I thought Zip Strip might take the finish off the fastest. I also wanted to use a wire brush atatchment to a drill on a low setting. Would anyone seriously advise against this. I figured they would be the most quick and painless way of removing the finish. I could also see them also being the most likely to damage the metal. Eric, seems to have done the "homework" for me, but it will be very difficult for me to do the 6 hour application because of certain logistics in scheduling and location. I can still try to find a way. However, if anyone would strongly advise against Zip Strip and/or the wire brush.....speak now or forever hold your peace. LOL

-Jon K
Eric G.

PostPosted: Tue 01 Mar, 2011 9:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

John K.

I am new at this too, so no worries! I have been interested in medieval weaponry for basically my whole life, but have just recently discovered how very far I can delve into this... my wife likes it far less than I ;-)

As far as the wire brush goes -- yes, I would advise against it. I borrowed a dremel and a wire brush attachment from my dad. I wanted to use it to finish the work that my paint remover didn't do. Well, the brush was brass, and before long my mace looked a little brassy too. I was not happy with that so I tried various other tools in the dremel kit. They did not produce a desired result, and one even really messed up one of the flanges so much that I had to sand and sand and sand a lot before I could remove the traces of it.

Now, that being said, I have a message from the very knowledgable Sean Flynt where he says that he used a wire brush. I just can't recall if he used it on the whole thing or just in the crevices... I wish I still knew.

All in all I found the paint stripper goo and 400 grit sand paper (which is just what we happened to have at home, not an expert's selection) to be sufficient.

Be sure to post lots of pics!

Johan,

Any good threads here on wire wrapping? I must admit, I am interested but don't know much about it.

Eric Gregersen
www.EricGregersen.com
Jon K.

PostPosted: Wed 02 Mar, 2011 1:54 pm    Post subject: and...the results are in...         Reply with quote

Sorry, I don't have any pictures right now...things happened much faster than I thought. So I get the mace in the mail along with some other items-from KoA...I look at the mace, seems to be very well made, very well designed, but it has that bright shiny black finish. So the moment of truth arrives. As you known I have, been deliberating on what to do thus far, with advice coming in from all over the world- thanks to these forums....BUT its time to go to work. I rush off but not without a quick stop a local hardware store. I buy a wire drill, bush, sandpaper in various grains, some paint stripper (name is escaping me), a spatula, and some other stuff for a war hammer project. I go to work. I return back late and prepare to get started.

I wanted to see how to the paint is. So I use some rough sandpaper to test how good its on there. WAIT A MINUTE! What's this. Its coming off. I mean its really coming off. I am a few strokes in and I can almost see the steel underneath! This is without ANY paint thinner, stripper, varnish, or anything.......and in about an hour.....I took ALL of the paint that I wanted off, with rough sandpaper and a wire bit brush. It left a real nice patina that I am pretty happy with. Its not bright, and I didn't want it to be, because I wanted the antiqued look. It looks pretty damn good if I don't say myself! I could post pictures but the results are pretty similar to Eric's Italian flanged mace.

Well, that ends that discussion. LOL.......sandpaper, maybe a wire brush, and THAT'S IT. If I had spent a little more time, I bet I could have stripped the finish off clean.

Now onto another project that i have run already run into problems...Windlass German war hammer. Its a different topic so perhaps I will post it on a different thread. Anyway, I just wanted to say thanks for everyone going above and beyond the support I would get. I am very happy with the mace. Now to tackle the war hammer!

-Jon K
Eric G.

PostPosted: Fri 11 Mar, 2011 10:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

John,

I know I am a little late responding to this one, but I'm interested in two things from you. First, any pics of the finished product? Second, I just got a war hammer from KoA too, and I'm interested to know which one you purchased and why. Pics on that one would be nice too.

The war hammer I got was the one by Ritter Steel... um, I still really like the look, but it came in horrid condition (covered in grimy gobs of what looks like automotive grease and grime) and weighs in at just under 7lbs. Waaaayyy too heavy if you ask me. Everyone that I've let hold it automatically slides their hand up to the top of the shaft to make it more comfortable, rather than dealing with the super heavy hammer head throwing it off balance.

Eric Gregersen
www.EricGregersen.com
Jon K.

PostPosted: Sat 12 Mar, 2011 6:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Eric Gregersen wrote:
John,

I know I am a little late responding to this one, but I'm interested in two things from you. First, any pics of the finished product? Second, I just got a war hammer from KoA too, and I'm interested to know which one you purchased and why. Pics on that one would be nice too.

The war hammer I got was the one by Ritter Steel... um, I still really like the look, but it came in horrid condition (covered in grimy gobs of what looks like automotive grease and grime) and weighs in at just under 7lbs. Waaaayyy too heavy if you ask me. Everyone that I've let hold it automatically slides their hand up to the top of the shaft to make it more comfortable, rather than dealing with the super heavy hammer head throwing it off balance.

I will try to have pics of my of my mace and war hammer projects later on this week. Have mercy on me, when you see them, as I am not only new to collecting, but I am also not the most tool savvy of individuals.

I chose both the Windlass steel crafts Gothic German Mace and war hammer after months of deliberation. I did ALOT of research both on these forums and others. I had certain criterea for starting my collection. I was interested in collecting historical arms and armour from different parts of the world from different time periods to display on my wall. Even though these weapons were for display, it was very important that they be functional. I personally believe that the beauty of the weapon itself was the craft for its original intended purpose- combat. That being said, they had to pleasing to the eye, and had to fit a certain vision I had for each individual piece, albeit a culmination of historical accuracy along with "fantasy" qualities. I also wanted each piece to look and resemble the time period it came from. This caused me to search the web, books, and find things that fit this vision. Now the next factor: PRICE. I loved the products from Arms & Armoury and Albion. I also saw some custom smiths, that made products that took my breath away. They had exactly what I was looking for as far as form and function, but I am new to this. I am a grown man, and I don't make enough money yet to justify spending that much for a maces and war hammers. (this is a personal choice, for various reasons and NOT a critisism of anyone on here who chooses to do so.)

I chose the Windlass German War Hammer because I saw demonstrations of its functionality on youtube. It also got some pretty decent reviews. I wanted the Windlass "New" war hammer, but that was not in stock, and would not be available for quite some time- besides the modern screws really bothered me. There were two things that made me delay my decision to by the German war hammer....the natural color of the handle, and the weight. The natural color of the handle did not look good to me at all, and I was concerned how powerful a two pound hammer could really be. Well, I bit the bullet and got it. It was surprisingly well made for the price, and damn if didn't feel very powerful in my hand. withholding the temptation to swing at something, I decided the finish must come off. I knew I would not have the know how to take the hammer head off the handle, and replace it with another. So I decided to take the finish off with the head still on. Of course this is not the best way to do it, but, knowing my capabilities.....I was going to give it a try. I chose a mahogany finish. I decided against removing the finish by chemical means, because I thought it might damage the hammer. So I sanded and sanded...I used various grains and a wire drill brush. When I got the finish off, I put some of the mahogany wood stain on. I believe it was oil based. It looked nice. The next morning it didn't look so nice. LOL It was very blotchy especially around the handle studs which were very difficult to sand around. Now I know, the best thing to do would be to chemically remove the finish and start again.....BUT, I wanted to see if I could just sand it and touch it up. I reminded myself that if I wanted it to look "old" and "used" it didn't have to look perfect and it was to my advantage if some of the natural wood showed through. I sanded some of the areas that didn't take the stain and applied a second coat, very carefully and thoroughly. It took at least two days to dry, and I was pleased with the results. I took some black shoe polish and worked into the grooves of the hammer to antique it a little. Then I buffed it. Not bad at all if I don't say so myself. Could be better, but its my first of many projects. I like the idea of "tuning" up the pieces I buy. I think its part of the fun.

As a curious aside, I did consider the Ritter Steel hammer. Ritter Steel got some very bad reviews on funcitonality, and historical accuracy. They did mention that alot of their products where heavy and unwieldy for combat. Frankly, no offense, it didn't looked kinda ugly to me too. That's why I decided to with a much cheaper and in my opinion, better option- for me. If you don't have the Windlass German war hammer......for under 70 bucks you can get for KoA.

Hope this long post helps. LOL Pictures will come soon.
Eric G.

PostPosted: Sat 12 Mar, 2011 10:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

John,

You and I are in the same boat with being new to this stuff. I've always liked arms and armor, but never really knew how much good information is out there until recently. I feel like I've just been re-introduced to an old and awesome friend. There are tons of projects that I want to take on, but I (like you) have very little experience and resources. Don't bring yourself down about it though - everyone has to start somewhere. =)

I am excited to see pictures. If the hammer you got is the one I am thinking of, I actually like that hammer. I like it more now that I know it's only 2lbs. The thing that I don't like is that in some of the pictures on KoA (some, not all, which worries me) show that the head and the back spike are blued... mmmm.... I don't like that. It makes it look too modern. However, when I see the pics where the steel all the same color I like it a lot.

Finally, I'm not offended at all with what you said about the Ritter Steel war hammer. I had definitely heard that their swords were heavy etc, but I didn't suspect that their hammer would be nearly as heavy as it is. Regardless, I like the top spike and the back spike and the hammer head... so yeah, I like how it looks, even if I don't ever intend on buying anything from them again. =)

I'm including this pic of the war hammer below. Please excuse the poor quality - it was dark outside when I took the pic and artificial lighting didn't do it justice. =)

ps. if you find anything fun to smash with your war hammer please share. So far I haven't thought of anything amazing to clobber with it =)

Eric Gregersen
www.EricGregersen.com
Jon K.

PostPosted: Sun 13 Mar, 2011 4:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Eric Gregersen wrote:
John,

You and I are in the same boat with being new to this stuff. I've always liked arms and armor, but never really knew how much good information is out there until recently. I feel like I've just been re-introduced to an old and awesome friend. There are tons of projects that I want to take on, but I (like you) have very little experience and resources. Don't bring yourself down about it though - everyone has to start somewhere. =)

I am excited to see pictures. If the hammer you got is the one I am thinking of, I actually like that hammer. I like it more now that I know it's only 2lbs. The thing that I don't like is that in some of the pictures on KoA (some, not all, which worries me) show that the head and the back spike are blued... mmmm.... I don't like that. It makes it look too modern. However, when I see the pics where the steel all the same color I like it a lot.

Finally, I'm not offended at all with what you said about the Ritter Steel war hammer. I had definitely heard that their swords were heavy etc, but I didn't suspect that their hammer would be nearly as heavy as it is. Regardless, I like the top spike and the back spike and the hammer head... so yeah, I like how it looks, even if I don't ever intend on buying anything from them again. =)

I'm including this pic of the war hammer below. Please excuse the poor quality - it was dark outside when I took the pic and artificial lighting didn't do it justice. =)

ps. if you find anything fun to smash with your war hammer please share. So far I haven't thought of anything amazing to clobber with it =)

Actually your hammer doesn't look that bad at all. Here are my pics: forgive the quality, I took them in a hurry and with my cell phone.

Attachment: 42.03 KB
301.jpeg

Attachment: 97 KB
2011-03-13_16-10-47_463.jpg

Attachment: 106.53 KB
2011-03-13_16-11-01_580.jpg

Robert A

PostPosted: Mon 14 Mar, 2011 5:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That came up very, very nicely Jon. The blackening around the head makes it look... used. Big Grin

All of a sudden, I want me a mace!
Colt Reeves

PostPosted: Thu 22 Sep, 2011 9:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm posting this here because it pertains to my WIP on my Windlass German Mace.

I have finally gotten around to applying lots of acetone and elbow grease to the sucker and have removed most of the black paint.

There was one thing I wanted to do to it that I wasn't sure of, and that was wire-wrap the grip. I looked around for existing examples of real maces with wire wraps, but didn't really see any online. (Logically, it seems like it would be difficult for people not possessing superglue to get a wire wrap to cooperate on a smooth metal hilt, but I'm no expert.)

So, are there any surviving maces with wire wraps and does anyone have any handy pictures showing such?

"Tears are for the craven, prayers are for the clown.
Halters for the silly neck that cannot keep a crown.
As my loss is grievous, so my hope is small.
For Iron, Cold Iron, must be master of men all..."
-Cold Iron, Rudyard Kipling

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Windlass Mace Project
Page 2 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: