Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Loose scabbard, how to adjust fit? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Fri 06 Aug, 2004 8:19 pm    Post subject: Loose scabbard, how to adjust fit?         Reply with quote

My Gaddhjalt campaign scabbard has become a bit loose with use and I wonder if there is a correct way of fixing this?

To explain the present fit I will give a description of what I mean by loose.

1) If I hold the sword vertical with the scabbard on the blade the scabbard is not pulled off the blade by it's own weight.

2) If I give a very very light shake the scabbard fall off the blade.

3) If I reverse the procedure. i.e. Holding the scabbard with the sword handle down, the sword falls out by it' s own weight without any help from me.

To me, the sword should not fall out of the scabbard due to only it's own weight. (It should take at least a shake for it to fall out.) (Am I wrong about this being what I should be expect?)

Here is one possible way that I am thinking of fixing this: Glue just inside the lip of the scabbard, using white wood glue a strip of paper. After the glue dries, test for fit and add more layers of paper until the desired fit is achieved. A final coat of glue to seal the pores of the paper followed by very light sanding.

The above is in no way a negative comment about the quality of the campaign scabbard as I consider it normal that in time the fit of a scabbard will change due to different humidity conditions as well as normal wear.

Knowing how to do "Minor" adjustments to ones' equipment is part of the fun of collecting.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Robert W. Betten

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 06 Aug, 2004 10:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

well like a saya on a katana you would use wooden shims cut to a very fine state then you use needle files to adjust it Happy you can use a good wood bond to affix it.
*!*
"If the people we love are taken from us,
the way they live on is to never stop loving
them. Buildings burn, people die, but real
love is forever."
- Sarah 'The Crow'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sat 07 Aug, 2004 12:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The easiest fix is not to hold the scabbard upside down with the sword inside.

Any use of glue, epoxy, shims, or etc., runs the risk of scratching and marring the blade.

If it's a serious issue for you I'd advise you to contact Albion. They may have an idea of how to tighten the fit, or they may want you to return it for adjustment.

Accomplishing minor adjustments is indeed fun, screwing up one's sword is not.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus

Last edited by Patrick Kelly on Sat 07 Aug, 2004 1:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Kenneth Enroth

PostPosted: Sat 07 Aug, 2004 12:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The finish of my dad's Cold Steel gurkha kukri knife was badly marred after he used glue inside the sheath. The glue was not in contact with the blade but still after only a day there was pitting on the blade.
William Goodwin

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Sat 07 Aug, 2004 3:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I fixed the MRL Scottish backsword scabbard I got from Nathan, by cutting a small bit of soft foam and putting/gluing
it just inside the throat of the scabbard. Snugged it up pretty well, no glue touching the blade & it won't fall out now on it's own accord.
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sat 07 Aug, 2004 11:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions, I don't see this as a major problem so I will be thinking it over before I do anything that might cause damage to the sword.

I can see the glue causing rust problems if it is water based and is prone to retain or absorb moisture from the air.
Maybe using an epoxy glue would avoid the moisture problem?.

I have considered using very thin shims of wood rather than paper.

Patrick: I only mentionned holding the sword upside down inside the scabbard as the maximum (Probably too much!)
hold the scabbard should have on the sword I assume that the ideal tightness is closer to my first example of the weight of the scabbard not pulling itself of the blade. (I don't think holding it upside down is a "Normal" way to carry......Joke.)

I guess I am asking about this as much for the sake of curiousity than as an urgent need to fix something.
(Have not read much about the art of making or maintaining scabbards.)

As to marring the blade how would the surface of a wood shim differ from the wood of the scabbard in abrasiveness or other
qualities?

Note: The humidity in Montreal can vary from "Bone dry" in the winter to "Amazon jungle" sticky in the summer!
At least the micro climate in my house does not seem to give me rust problems even on tools stored in the basement for years without any particular care!

Aaron Justice

PostPosted: Thu 12 Aug, 2004 5:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

For terrible fitting MRL scabbards, I usually inserted two small pieces of leather on the insides of the scabbard so it grasps the edge of the blade. Usually made it tight enough not to fall off upside down, but still quick enough to draw in a pinch.
How can there be a perfect sword when PEOPLE come in all shapes and sizes too?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Thu 12 Aug, 2004 11:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aaron;

Thanks for the suggestion about using leather I'm still thinking about it rather than rushing in and risking doing something that will damage the finish of the sword or the scabbard.

The amount of fitting is very small as it is not a cheap or baddly made scabbard.

Just normal use has loosenned the fit just enough that it needs only a very subtle adjustment.
I imagine that too large an adjustment could put some unwanted stress that might crack the wood.

My only real worry is using something that will cause corrosion as has been suggested by others.

I may just ask the opinion of the guys at Albion if they have a some advice about the best way to do this.

Christian Fletcher
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 13 Aug, 2004 7:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A trick I've used a number of times with some success is to pack a bit of wool roving (cheap carded wool) down into the end of the scabbard. You need to feed a little bit at a time down inside, packing it into the tip with the sword, until the fit tightens up.
Christian Fletcher
www.christianfletcher.com
Eric McHugh
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 13 Aug, 2004 7:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Aaron;

Thanks for the suggestion about using leather I'm still thinking about it rather than rushing in and risking doing something that will damage the finish of the sword or the scabbard.

The amount of fitting is very small as it is not a cheap or baddly made scabbard.

Just normal use has loosenned the fit just enough that it needs only a very subtle adjustment.
I imagine that too large an adjustment could put some unwanted stress that might crack the wood.

My only real worry is using something that will cause corrosion as has been suggested by others.

I may just ask the opinion of the guys at Albion if they have a some advice about the best way to do this.

Hi Jean,

Sorry about your scabbard. Unfortunately, this does happen on occassion. I haved used 2mm leather cord from Tandy. What I do is cut two one inch pieces, push them in to the corners of the mouth of the scabbard. A butter knife works well for this. You want to push each piece into the corner a far as it will go without damaging the scabbard. Then glue them into place with super glue. Let it dry, then (and this is the hard part) push your sword into the scabbard. As it gets towards the end, it will become difficult to push into the scabbard. Gently force it all the way into the scabbard. Your goal is to have the edge of the blade cut into the leather cord. This will provide a tight fit once again. You may have to do this several times at first. Eventually it will break in. This should hold for a while...you may have to do it again in the future, but it is an easy fix. If you want, I think we can mail you some of this 2mm leather core if you can't find it near your home. Hope this helps...if you have any questions, give us a call.

Find me on Facebook, or check out my blog. Contact me at eric@crownforge.net or ericmycue374@comcast.net if you want to talk about a commission or discuss an available piece.
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Fri 13 Aug, 2004 12:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Eric:

Thanks for the information and I will look around locally for that leather cord. ( I'll take you up on your kind offer to send me some IF I have trouble finding it.) There is an old fashion leather repair (Shoe Cobbler) shop near my house I will see if they have it.

Since the scabbard is used mostly to protect the blade from damage & my fingers from cuts I don't see this as an urgent problem. ( As opposed to a sword worn in "battle" that should not easily fall out .)

Will let you know how it turns out.

It is a pleasure doing business with people who really care about their customers.

Christian;

Thank you also for another possible solution.

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Mon 06 Sep, 2004 9:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Update: Finally got around to fixing the fit of the scabbard, the scabbard will now holds the sword even when held reversed.

The fit is also not so tight that it makes the sword difficult to pull out: I estimate a force of about 3 to 4 ponds is needed to pull the sword out.

I used the method described by Eric as described in the above post: Thanks again for the advice, I found the leather lace at the shoe repair place as I thought I would.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Loose scabbard, how to adjust fit?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic