A couple of wrought iron projects on the bench
I'm working on two things right now.. one is commissioned. The one on the left is a wrought iron/pure nickel/1080 laminated dagger. It is based on another one that I have on my website and is not intended to be placed in any particular time.. although the original design was based more on a American frontierish theme. This one will have a broad, spear shape and bronze guard. Again... not historical, but this one will be inspired by more of an Iron Age theme.

The ugly one on the right is my first attempt at butt-welding wrought iron onto the spine of high carbon steel.. in this case.. W2. I started this because I happened to notice that I had some wrought and some W2 of the same thickness... so I just went for it. Not exactly sure what I will do with it.. but it will most likely be a seax. I will start drawing it out and see where it takes me. I'm open to ideas....

What is the potential dimensions of the wrought/W2 piece? There are lots of potential there.
right now the thickness of the billet is about 1/2" and the the whole thing is probably 5-6" long.. and maybe 3" across? I haven't actually measured it. I'm not sure what that will all come out to... and I haven't forged anything like this... I think I'm going to have a hard time keeping the wrought an even thickness up the spine... I also need to grind down more to make sure the weld is good along the length.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: