Go to page 1, 2  Next

Custom “Viking” Sword from Robert Moc
I received this sword about a week ago, but owing to a nasty bout of flu I haven’t been up to posting about it until now. Which is a shame, because I am very excited to have it finally. The sword is a typical “viking” blade with with pattern-weld inlay, and a hilt of type U/V with silver and copper inlay.

[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]

The sword is not an exacting copy of any one specific example, but rather it is modeled to fit into a family of very similar examples.

[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]

A lot of care was taken in the the research by both Robert and myself. I must say Robert did an excellent job, both documenting an original example, and in his keen eye for details.

[ Linked Image ]
(I was particularly interested for Robert to do a hollow pommel with u-rivet construction)
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]

The blade was an area of particular attention. While I do not wish to derail this thread into a discussion of the wider issues surrounding ulfberht blades, suffice for now to say our intent was not to copy a “crucible steel” example, but rather this project intended to reproduce one of the highest quality examples of the non-crucible ulfberhts. The blade is a medium carbon core with a high carbon cutting edge welded on, then partial quenched to achieve a hard end and resilient body. All steel was made by Robert out of iron that was salvaged from a historic source.

[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]

I cannot forget to call attention to the scabbard, which is honestly so good it could be its own stand alone work. I’m big on scabbards, and I insist all my swords have one. Not knocking any of my other scabbards, but this scabbard is far and away the finest I have seen . It has a slimness most scabbards seem to lack -- thin bodied but still robust enough. It doesn’t feel over-built, and consequently it feels graceful and refined. And the strap end and chape are amazing too.

[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]

In hand the sword feels very nice. Balance is in a good/typical spot for this type (~ 5.5 inches from guard). I don’t have the means to properly weigh it, but it does not feel overly heavy. In total, it is an amazing work of art, and I am extremely proud to own it, and seeing as it will out-last me, I am happy to have played my part.

ETA: typo fixes

Last edited by Robin Smith on Mon 07 Mar, 2016 10:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Custom “Viking” Sword from Róbert Môc
[ Linked Image ]
The hilt looks awesome! :surprised:
... beautifully accomplished sword, and I truly appreciate the photographs hi-lighting
so many details. Excellent !
Oh wow... that's impressive.

Wonderful piece, congratulations!
Quite honestly, words fail me. Congratulations to both of you!
Beautiful sword - congratulations!
WOW!!!! That sword is perfect! Great stuff Rob. I'm drooling with envy.
Beautiful, Robin. Thanks for the pictures.

Jon
That's something very special, a real heirloom. It's really got it all from the blade to the decorated hilt. (I like the way the tree branches reflect in the pommel in that one shot.)

I've been craving a Viking sword lately after watching lots of 'Vikings', 'Last Kingdom', and reading another book on the subject. But I can't afford anything in this league. Too many practical expenses.

But then again, probably only a Jarl or King could have owned a sword like this 1200 years ago.

-JD
Absolutely magnificent. In my opinion, there are few things that can produce as much awe as a properly made pattern welded Viking Age sword, and this is an extraordinary one!
Congratulations to both of you. Definitely a piece to be proud of in both owning and crafting.
Hi Robin
Firstly congratulations to you and Robert on an fine sword and I am sure that you will have a life time of pleasure with it.
I still can not put mine away as I look and handle it each day and think how lucky I am and every one else that has an piece of art like this and the amazement of just fondling Art.
Thanks for posting and enjoy.
J.D. Crawford wrote:
That's something very special, a real heirloom. It's really got it all from the blade to the decorated hilt. (I like the way the tree branches reflect in the pommel in that one shot.)

I've been craving a Viking sword lately after watching lots of 'Vikings', 'Last Kingdom', and reading another book on the subject. But I can't afford anything in this league. Too many practical expenses.

But then again, probably only a Jarl or King could have owned a sword like this 1200 years ago.

-JD
Oh, I really couldn’t either. But this is one of those rare indulgences that are permissible due to the passing of major milestone that come only a few times in a life. Furthermore, I like to think that this is more a family acquisition, and upon my passing that my son, and hopefully one day his son, shall have the opportunity to appreciate it. When looked at as a multigenerational investment, it doesn’t seem so bad. And these days it seems so very little is made to be multigenerational....

As to your other point, I’ve often wondered about that. Preservation bias makes it hard to get a handle, but based on material that survives, one would think all the swords from that period were quite fancy. But that may be misinterpreting what catches a curators eye for historical pattern.

...still owing to the gift giving culture of the pre-Christian Scandinavian and Germanic people, I rather suspect they would be more common than just Jarls and Kings. Someone attached and loyal to a Jarl or King no doubt.
That's nice...real nice!
This is the second time that I have seen this beautiful sword. There is a post on a bladesmith forum showing the inlay. Now I get drool over it again. Dang it Robin that's just mean. Congrats brother and enjoy it. You only live once.
Oh you lucky lucky guy! What great work. A beautiful sword and scabbard. I've got to work with Robert Moc, everything I see him do is just terrific. Thanks for sharing Robin, I always love seeing works like this posted here.
Thanks to all .It was one of my most difficult projects.
Robert is doing a fantastic blade.
Congratulations Robin Smith
Robert Môc wrote:
Thanks to all .It was one of my most difficult projects.

This is true. I am very thankful for your perseverance through the set-backs, and I could not be happier with the end result. Truly, you are one of the best in the entire world, and such rarified talent was quite a privilege to work with.
This is a fabulous sword Robin. Really one of the finest Viking swords I have seen.

A hearty congratulations to you!

How does it handle?
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Page 1 of 2

Jump to: