16th c. Shoes
Hello,

At some point I'm going to be need a pair of late 16th c. (1560-1570ish) shoes (cf. http://www.curiousfrau.com/research/extant-ob...ry-germany )for for an outfit being made for me based on some of the fencers in the Fechtbuch of Paulus Hector Mair; the fencers themselves don't appear to be wearing shoes, however, I'll obviously need a pair for walking around. Does anyone know who would be a good person to contact about having some made? I've found some somewhat similar production made shoes, however, I'll most likely need to go custom due as to my oddly shaped feet. :)

If you have any suggestions or can point me in the direction of someone, that would be great. Thanks!
Hello,
Sarah Juniper in the UK is really one of the best. http://www.sarahjuniper.co.uk/
Her prices are higher, but you get what you pay for.
Cheers,
Hadrian
Hadrian Coffin wrote:
Hello,
Sarah Juniper in the UK is really one of the best. http://www.sarahjuniper.co.uk/
Her prices are higher, but you get what you pay for.
Cheers,
Hadrian

But worth every penny. My first pair of shoes by Sarah lasted about 12 years with 2 resoles in that time, second pair and third pair are still going strong. The pair of start up boots that I had from Sarah survived 15 years of use and abuse.
Wasn't his book written in the 1540's?

If you're basing your outfit off of Mair, the clothing/fashions had a lot of differences and nuances even a couple years down the road. The two extant examples of shoes closest to the bottom on the Curious Frau's site are of a type that was worn in many countries in Western Europe from the mid-century on into the early 17th. There are a ton more extant Dutch examples that are very similar in Olaf Goubitz's incredible book "Stepping Through Time."

Though I don't own her shoes, I can't tell you how many incredible things I've heard about Sarah Juniper's products, and she's endorsed by several of the premier 16th & 17th century reenactment groups. The quality as described here is excellent, and as she makes each shoes completely by hand custom to your feet, I think she'd be able to help you. The first three styles on her Tudor page are ideal for what you're after. The cost is a still steep and she's from out of the country, but if you want the very best, that' the route to go.

There are significantly cheaper options that are also made off patterns from extant shoes of this type, but I don't know how well they'd work for your feet. If you'd like those I can post them here as well.

-Dan
Dan Rosen wrote:
Wasn't his book written in the 1540's?

If you're basing your outfit off of Mair, the clothing/fashions had a lot of differences and nuances even a couple years down the road. The two extant examples of shoes closest to the bottom on the Curious Frau's site are of a type that was worn in many countries in Western Europe from the mid-century on into the early 17th. There are a ton more extant Dutch examples that are very similar in Olaf Goubitz's incredible book "Stepping Through Time."

Though I don't own her shoes, I can't tell you how many incredible things I've heard about Sarah Juniper's products, and she's endorsed by several of the premier 16th & 17th century reenactment groups. The quality as described here is excellent, and as she makes each shoes completely by hand custom to your feet, I think she'd be able to help you. The first three styles on her Tudor page are ideal for what you're after. The cost is a still steep and she's from out of the country, but if you want the very best, that' the route to go.

There are significantly cheaper options that are also made off patterns from extant shoes of this type, but I don't know how well they'd work for your feet. If you'd like those I can post them here as well.

-Dan

Dan,

You're absolutely right, I was remembering the wrong dates. While the manuscript I'm basing it off of wasn't sold until 1567, it was created at some time after 1542, I don't believe the exact date is known.

There are a few images in the manuscript that show the combatants wearing shoes, for example: http://daten.digitale-sammlungen.de/~db/bsb00...;seite=316

It looks like I'll probably end up going with Sarah Juniper. To everyone, thanks so much for your help!
People have already mentioned Sarah Juniper, who is the usual first thought for that period of shoe, but since you're in Virginia, you could get hold of Al Saguto, the master cordwainer at Colonial Williamsburg, and see if he'd be interested in doing them, or if anyone in his shop would. His usual forte is 17-18thC but he's a genuine master and his knowledge of the art is second to none.

Me, I'm making my own, but that's not a path I would recommend unless you're inherently interested in cordwaining as a hobby.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: