references for weapons of the early Britons
Hello,

I'm looking for references to the type of iron weapons that would've been made and utilized by early Iron Age 'Britons' prior to Roman invasion. Maybe even prior to Celtic invasion if that is a possibility.

Thanks a lot!
See "British Iron Age Swords and Scabbards" I.M. Stead, ISBN 0-7414-2323-4, The British Museum Press. My copy arrived today so haven't had a really good look yet
Phil
thank you... that does indeed seem relevant.

I'm interested in forging some wrought iron into spear points and knives that would have been used during that time period. So far I can only find references to iron smelting locations.

I'm very new to this line of inquiry so please smack me in the face if I'm missing the obvious....

I'm also trying to find a good model to resurrect Cedric the Saxon's short boar spear from 'Ivanhoe'.
Scott Roush wrote:
thank you... that does indeed seem relevant.

I'm interested in forging some wrought iron into spear points and knives that would have been used during that time period. So far I can only find references to iron smelting locations.

I'm very new to this line of inquiry so please smack me in the face if I'm missing the obvious....

I'm also trying to find a good model to resurrect Cedric the Saxon's short boar spear from 'Ivanhoe'.

I was going to suggest the same book that Philip did, but if you are looking on information on knives and spears you might have to look elsewhere as you won't find any information on them in that book. It may still be worthwhile to you from a more general information on metallurgy and some construction techniques perspective. It's fairly pricey though for not focusing on the area you are looking for.
You can also take a look at "Iron Age Cemeteries in East Yorkshire" (English Heritage Archaeological Report) by I.M. Stead published in 1991.
Just found this...

http://livinghistory.ie/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1433&p=12700
Thats really nice :) It gives you a good start into the Irish forms and styles.
Phil
Yes indeed... I can hardly wait to do an interpretation of a Crannog 'short sword'. And maybe some Crannog inspired knives....

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: