Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Western Martial Arts Club Finder Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Allen Foster

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Tue 02 Feb, 2010 7:51 am    Post subject: Western Martial Arts Club Finder         Reply with quote

Here is great way to locate potiential training partners for Western Martial Arts.

The map also gives a good idea how big the HEMA community has gotten in a relatively short period of time. It is by no means complete with many locations still needed adding especially in Europe.

http://hemaalliance.com/?page_id=686

This is a service sponsered by the HEMA Alliance, a non profit organizaiton dedicated to rediscovering the Western Martial Arts through vigorous scholarship and archeological experimentation. However you can add your club and/or edit it's informaiton at will.

If you don't see your club or if you need to make corrections, email the map administrators and they will give you instructions how to add or edit yourself.

Map Amins: Harry at alnbren(at)yahoo.com or Max at max.shinkendo(at)gmail.com

"Rise up, O Lord, and may thy enemies be dispersed and those who hate thee be driven from thy face."

Last edited by Allen Foster on Sun 07 Feb, 2010 6:22 am; edited 2 times in total
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Tue 02 Feb, 2010 11:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for posting this. I've thought about putting together such a tool here on myArmoury.com but that item hasn't made its way up on my to-do list yet. I'm glad somebody beat me to it! It's a worthwhile project.

Cheers

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Sander Marechal

Reading list: 17 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 03 Feb, 2010 12:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
I've thought about putting together such a tool here on myArmoury.com but that item hasn't made its way up on my to-do list yet.

That may still be worthwhile. Off the top of my head I know 5 WMA schools in The Netherlands that are not part of the HEMA Alliance and are thus not on that map. I'm guessing that the rest of the world also has many schools that are not part of the HEMA Alliance.
Allen Foster

PostPosted: Wed 03 Feb, 2010 3:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sander Marechal wrote:
Nathan Robinson wrote:
I've thought about putting together such a tool here on myArmoury.com but that item hasn't made its way up on my to-do list yet.

That may still be worthwhile. Off the top of my head I know 5 WMA schools in The Netherlands that are not part of the HEMA Alliance and are thus not on that map. I'm guessing that the rest of the world also has many schools that are not part of the HEMA Alliance.

If you read the post and the map, you will discover that the map is for everyone in HEMA regardless of affiliation. It is also pointed out on the post that the list is by no means complete. With clubs closing, opening, breaking apart and merging, it will be in constant change. One of the holdbacks at this point have been that the administrators speak only English and French at are in need of volunteers who speak other languages. We are trying to enter the information about locations in the club's native tounge so that it will be more useful to the users on a localized basis. Maybe you would like to volunteer to be a part of the project?

"Rise up, O Lord, and may thy enemies be dispersed and those who hate thee be driven from thy face."
David Teague

PostPosted: Wed 03 Feb, 2010 4:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey!

I've got to say I was surprised to find my HRG listed... Cool

We are up in Alaska, but where most folks don't get it is I run 2 separate programs under the HRG banner.

#1 A WMA program

#2 A Living History group

The lion share of my WMA students don't have a thing to do with my LH program and most of the historians in my LH group focus on things non martial.

Weird, I know... but it works for us.

Cheers,

DT

This you shall know, that all things have length and measure.

Free Scholar/ Instructor Selohaar Fechtschule
The Historic Recrudescence Guild

"Yea though I walk through the valley of death, I will fear no evil: for Thou's sword art is with me; Thy poleaxe and Thy quarterstaff they comfort me."
Sander Marechal

PostPosted: Wed 03 Feb, 2010 5:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Allen Foster wrote:
If you read the post and the map, you will discover that the map is for everyone in HEMA regardless of affiliation.

I did read the post and map but misunderstood. I'll add the info on the schools I know of.
Allen Foster

PostPosted: Wed 03 Feb, 2010 6:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sander Marechal wrote:
Allen Foster wrote:
If you read the post and the map, you will discover that the map is for everyone in HEMA regardless of affiliation.

I did read the post and map but misunderstood. I'll add the info on the schools I know of.

Thank you Sander. Your help is very much appreciated.

Map: http://hemaalliance.com/?page_id=686

Sander Marechal

PostPosted: Wed 03 Feb, 2010 12:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Allen Foster wrote:
Thank you Sander. Your help is very much appreciated.

No problem. I've added five schools in the south of The Netherlands. Four chapters of "De Zwaardkring" and the Dutch chapter of KDF.
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Wed 03 Feb, 2010 8:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My group is already there on the map and I sent an e-mail to inform our director about the good new in case he isn't aware of it.

Les duellistes: http://lesduellistes.com/

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Allen Foster

PostPosted: Wed 02 Feb, 2011 11:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This resource has increased in size exponentially just over the past twelve months (see link below). This reflects the growing popularity of Western Martial Arts being generated Worldwide due in no small part to forums like myArmoury (thanks Nathan). Also producing great momentium for Historical Martial Arts are quality high profile film documentaries like the National Geographic Channel Fightbook series. Then keeping everyone interested are new works being transcribed, translated, interpreted and published all the time. Finally many new people are becoming interested in Historical European Martial Arts due to local and international events being hosted all across the World. Like “Longpoint” that was recently held in Maryland; Swordfish, Djion, Fechtschule America, Dixie Kreig and the Worldwide Open Championship in Germany plus many more.

http://www.communitywalk.com/user/view/81443

Western Martial Arts and the Historical Weapon Collecting Community enjoy a symbiotic relationship with people who start out collecting historical or reproduction weapons ending up getting into Western Martial Arts and vis versa.

This is a neat period in time to get to learn about historical European culture through the collecting of its' weaponry and the practicing of its' martial arts. Happy

Christian Henry Tobler

PostPosted: Wed 02 Feb, 2011 1:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Allen,

Thank you for providing this service - this kind of thing is a lot of work.

I think however that perhaps there should be something to distinguish HEMA Alliance members from non-members. Sander is certainly not the first person to find this confusing.

All the best,

Christian

Christian Henry Tobler
Order of Selohaar

Freelance Academy Press: Books on Western Martial Arts and Historical Swordsmanship

Author, In Saint George's Name: An Anthology of Medieval German Fighting Arts
Craig Shackleton

PostPosted: Wed 02 Feb, 2011 2:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow, I really need to update/correct my group listing!
Ottawa Swordplay
Allen Foster

PostPosted: Wed 02 Feb, 2011 2:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

@Christian,

There is a disclaimer on the all the Maps and in the instructions that states "This map is intended to be a representation of the entire Historical European Martial Arts community and not to infer affiliation or suggest membership into the HEMA Alliance. The purpose of this training partner Finder is to be a service to the HEMA community and to demonstrate the rich diversity and scope of the Historical European Martial Arts movement. ". Many of the groups do have their affiliation mentioned in their description, but it's hit or miss. For Example: The British Isle's map lists all of the British Federation of Historical Swordplay members written into their description. This is because the BFHS happens to conveniently list their membership on their website. Unfortunately , no one else provides me with a list of their members (not even HEMAA).

(edit) I've just added the disclaimer to the title page (Didn't know I could do that). Maybe that will help clear up any confusion.

http://www.communitywalk.com/user/view/81443

@Craig:

Ultimately, the best way to guarantee that the information is accurate is to have everyone enter their own information. This is something that I've been pushing but it hasn't caught on yet. Just let me know after you've added your own entry and I will delete the old one. The advantage of doing this is that it allows you to edit and update your group's most current information as you see fit. This could be the answer to Christians concerns too. It would also make my job easier.

Reece Nelson

PostPosted: Wed 02 Feb, 2011 4:05 pm    Post subject: WMA map         Reply with quote

Wow! This is really great!

I was surprised to see a group in Hawaii Big Grin Mexico as well

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Western Martial Arts Club Finder
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic