Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > What sword for 1066-1250 (if any)? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Stuart Thompson

PostPosted: Thu 10 Feb, 2011 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: What sword for 1066-1250 (if any)?         Reply with quote

Sander Marechal wrote:
I'm in need of a single handed reenactment sword for my role in our Knights Hospitaller group. We are set in approximately 1250. But, I am also planning to go to the Battle of Hastings reenactment in 2012. If at all possible, I would prefer to just buy one sword that I can use for both events so I can spend more money on other items (soft kit, maille, helmets, etcetera).

Is there any kind/type of sword that would be suitable for both periods? I quite like the look of a long, narrow cross guard and a brazilnut pommel, but I think that's way too old fashioned for 1250.

Thanks in advance!

Hastings says you? I'll be seeing you there says I! Finally dragging my sorry butt back there this year if it's on - weather permitting and for the foreseeable future.

Anyone local to the Colchester area, there is a big viking fayre during June/July. Let's have some meads Happy

sverð er manni vargr, af bardaga er dýrð, í dauða er dýrð.
Sander Marechal

Reading list: 17 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 10 Feb, 2011 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: What sword for 1066-1250 (if any)?         Reply with quote

Stuart Thompson wrote:
Hastings says you? I'll be seeing you there says I! Finally dragging my sorry butt back there this year if it's on - weather permitting and for the foreseeable future.

I'm not going yet this year. I'm going next year, 2012. I understand that's when the "next big one" is (please correct me if I'm wrong!). There's no way I can get both a Hastings kit and a 1250 Hospitaller kit finished this year. I'm not rich, so when I am buying stuff I try to buy things that are suitable for both time periods.

The Knights Hospitaller: http://www.hospitaalridders.nl
Sander Marechal

Reading list: 17 books

PostPosted: Fri 25 Feb, 2011 6:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

After sitting in customs for nearly two weeks, my new toys have finally arrived! Big Grin Well, technically only the Hanwei Tinker Norman is mine. The two Hanwei Tinker 13th century single handers belong to my girlfriend and someone else in our reenactment group. But my girlfriend only needs her sword for MS I.33 practice and nor for our reenactment, so I will be able to borrow it from her.

I'm very happy with them and they feel great. The Norman is a bit harder to handle than I expected because the PoB is quite far out (5" from the guard) but that's mainly about getting used to it. It's still much lighter and handles much easier than the heavy Kovex swords that some in our group own.

They do require a little work still. All the edges are square so I am going to round them off to make them even safer to spar with (less burrs). Also, I am going to attempt to hide the allen nut on the 13th century swords. I was thinking about putting some cold soldering tin in the hole and gently tap it down until it sorta resembles a peen. The idea with the tin being that it will be easy to heat it a little and take it out again, thus keeping the sword dismountable. Any thoughts on this?

Also, I was happily surprised that the Norman scabbard has a wood core. I had anticipated a leather-covered fibreglass core like the 13th century swords have.

Attachment: 101.88 KB
swords-01.jpg

Attachment: 107.01 KB
swords-02.jpg

The Knights Hospitaller: http://www.hospitaalridders.nl
Elling Polden

PostPosted: Fri 25 Feb, 2011 7:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

We favor Armour Class swords, for the low weigth of the 3,8-1,9cm blades, and durablity.
They are not the prettiest swords in the world out of the box. However, they perform well for reenactment combat.
They are available with a bazil nut pommel, and plain guards, making them wonderfully generic.

As for the hanweii's, they are not a bad purchase for the price range. However, having looked at the Tinker early medevial, it is quite obviously a sharp design that has been "blunted". Blunt edge sword are inherently heavier than sharp ones. This can be compensated in several ways, either by a over sized fuller, as is commonly done on viking swords, or making them narrower than the originals.
It is my overall impression that american swordsmiths are not very well practiced in making reenactment blades (Probably due to the lack of a large live steel reenactment scene...) A good blunt need strong edges and low weight, and is not just a sharp sword with blunt edges.

For an example of a good sharp-blunt conversion, look at Albion skimish line, which is exelent but ridiculously expensive by reenactment standards. The Albion I.33 is also a good sword.

"this [fight] looks curious, almost like a game. See, they are looking around them before they fall, to find a dry spot to fall on, or they are falling on their shields. Can you see blood on their cloths and weapons? No. This must be trickery."
-Reidar Sendeman, from King Sverre's Saga, 1201

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > What sword for 1066-1250 (if any)?
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: