Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Making my armor black? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Chris Mann

PostPosted: Wed 02 Mar, 2011 3:06 pm    Post subject: Making my armor black?         Reply with quote

Hey there, I have been looking for a similar topic on here with no luck. I basically wanted to know if anyone has had any experience using gun blue on their armor to give it a black look that would be a little more historically accurate. I'd rather not paint the armor. I know the way they did it historically was to use oil and basically burn the armor in it, or super heat the armor and submerge it in oil, but rather than start a potential fire I figured gun blue would work. Any help would be much appreciated
Thom R.

Reading list: 30 books

PostPosted: Wed 02 Mar, 2011 3:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=20753

Hi - there are actually a lot of threads here about folks using gun bluing solution (mostly Birchwood Casey although there are other options out there)

to find them use the search function with a couple of keywords like "gun AND bluing AND cold AND Birchwood"

something like that. in the thread above Jean's advice is good and that technique of buffing/scratching the solution on as you go I find gives good results. make sure however, that everysurface is degreased before you start and is clean.

also check out Sean Flynt's avatar!
Chris Mann

PostPosted: Wed 02 Mar, 2011 3:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow, now i feel dumb. I couldnt find the topics for the life of me. Thanks for the help

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Making my armor black?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic