Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Not historical but a good " theoretical tactical modern sword " ( Theoretical because I don't really expect Zombies to be around to try it on. ;) :p :lol: :cool: ). I love a good design for it's own sake. ;) :cool:

Just wait until 2012... :) Mayan Calendar, upcoming apocalypse and whatnot...
Good luck... I'm saving 1,000,000,000 Euros for a ticket on one of the big arcs... heading to China, Himalyans Dec of 2012
Mark T wrote:
If this handles and cuts anything like the old Atrim Tactical Longsword, it's going to be special ... the original is a joy to hold and behold ... my hope is that 'historical' folks will look past the looks, pick one up and play with it ... they might be pleasantly surprised!

How does it compare in terms of blade length and other qualities to the prior ATRIM TACTICAL LONGSWORD?
These are the basic specs on the old one I've handled:

5160 Tempered Steel
Total length: 46.5"
Blade length: 34"
Handle: 10"
Weight: 3 pounds
Mark T wrote:
These are the basic specs on the old one I've handled:

5160 Tempered Steel
Total length: 46.5"
Blade length: 34"
Handle: 10"
Weight: 3 pounds

Then what are the specs of the new Zombie Slayer? Would also be nice to see them side by side....
Chris Artman wrote:
Then what are the specs of the new Zombie Slayer? Would also be nice to see them side by side....

Very similar.

The prototype is

Steel: 1060
Total length: 45.5"
Blade length: 32.5 or 34 including the ricasso"
Handle: 11"
Prototype Weight: 2 ibs 10 oz
These will vary somewhat because of different slabs on the handles and because they are hand forged.

Sonny
Sonny,

Are you planning on bringing back all of the items like leaf blade, katana, short sword, etc.? Or are you going to try out the longsword to test the market first?
Sonny Suttles wrote:

Also, here are a couple of quick pics of the 307 baldric. Steve is a rather large guy so the baldric looks a little small on him. I will make adjustments to the production version so it can fit even "Steve sized guys" :D :D :D

[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]

The baldric can be worn as shown and not a bad way to " transport " the sword but not so great " tactically " unless one has gorilla arms reaching down past the knees and close to the ankles. ;) :lol: ( Does look cool though, not to revive the whole on the back scabbard discussion :\ :( ;) ).

But the same baldric should be wearable by slinging it over the other shoulder and having the scabbared sword under the arm I think: The design should be made adjustable enough for the baldric to be wearable in a variety of ways, one might also wear it slung strait down on one shoulder like a rifle.
G K Pfingsten wrote:
Sonny,

Are you planning on bringing back all of the items like leaf blade, katana, short sword, etc.? Or are you going to try out the longsword to test the market first?

Also interesting possibilities although this one seems like the best one to try first in my opinion.

Any projected time line for these being available or is it too soon in the design faze to know. :?:
They will be available in March along with the new Falchion and Bastard Swords.

Sonny
Sonny Suttles wrote:
They will be available in March along with the new Falchion and Bastard Swords.

Sonny

Interesting and the Falchion I'm very curious about. :D :cool:
I own the ATrim tac leaf.... Will you be marking these swords so one would know the difference between the real ATrim to that of the Chinese one?
I just purchased a VA Kriegschwert last week... but this has me seriously entertaining the notion of giving you guys even more of my money. :D

Although I have a strangely compelling urge to see the short ricasso wrapped in leather like the grip. Dunno why, the idea just seems artistically appealing...
Ben Sweet wrote:
I own the ATrim tac leaf.... Will you be marking these swords so one would know the difference between the real ATrim to that of the Chinese one?

Gus Blades are CNC Milled. Ours are Hand forged. You can tell the difference easily but I will probably mark them anyway

Sonny
Sonny Suttles wrote:
Ben Sweet wrote:

Gus Blades are CNC Milled. Ours are Hand forged. You can tell the difference easily but I will probably mark them anyway

Sonny

I would like to see them marked, not everyone out there can tell the difference...I tried for years to get Gus to mark his swords that he made, like my XIIIa with the bubinga handle that was purchase from Albion that is marked AT

I'm looking forward to seeing these swords!
Nathan Robinson wrote:
Kudos on the description.

Quote:
This sword is a 100% "Hysterically accurate" model used during the Zombie apocalypse crusades of the year 2012. Gus sent of a sample back in time so we could arm the masses before the great outbreak.

It's nice to see something so accurate from that period.

Dude, I love that show. Cant wait for it to come back. The next season will have a katana wielding chick. Should be a good one. You should see my zombie slaying shovel that was inspired by that show. :)
This is probably a stupid question... is a hand forged "zombie slayer" made of 1060 steel by VA much inferior to a cnc milled, grinded one made of 5160 spring steel like an original made by Angus Trim?
I really like the look of this sword, and I will definitely get one. I have been looking for a place where the tactical long sword made by Angus Trim is sold, and havenīt found one so far. If the Valiant Armoury version is comparable in performance, I wouldnīt look any further... Hopefully these will be really available this month!
But can they keep up with the original?
Was it the wrong place to ask this question? Probably... No offense...!
Hi Stephen,

Seeing as we've (collectively) managed to take this thread down a range of interesting side-streets, I'm guessing it's not inappropriate! :)

Having said that, ignoring the technical aspects of 'CNC vs forged' (and there are various threads around about that issue generally), your question might be a bit moot, as secondhand old ones don't come up very often. In fact, in the last few years, I think there has only been one posted on the boards for sale - and it didn't last long. I don't know how many Gus made 'back in the day', but my guess is not very many - if you check out SFI, you'll find only a couple of posts by him about it. I'm not even sure if there were any reviews.

So, if the specs are about the same, and Gus has approved this one, I'd be thinking 'go for it' ... you also get more semi-customisation options, and if you're not happy with the quality at all, I'm sure Sonny will sought it out.

Hope that's of some vague help!
Hi Mark T,

thanks for the reply. Funny,I was just answering an email of Sonny about the same topic (being the release date and the properies of the AT-TAC307), coming back here I saw Your post.
I just wrote it to Sonny, and I will write it again here: I have absolutely no doubt at all that Valiant Armoury (or the forge they are dealing with) know how to deal with steel. Be it 5160, or 1060 , or whatever- this is by far the most important thing (all things like hilt construction etc. being equal) if you want a decent sword, a properly treated steel.
Any well done 1060 steel sword will be able to do everything and more of what an original sword wouldīve been asked for, and I will definitely buy at least one of the AT-TAC307 Swords.
But thanks again for Your answer. It assures me that I should get a "Zombie Slayer"!
Greetings, Stephan
PS: Schallern sind auf jeden Fall sexy!
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Page 2 of 3

Jump to: