Where to Buy Steel for Swordmaking?
Hi,

I've made knives before, and it's very easy to find something like an 8 inch blank for that and material choices are largely aesthetic, but obviously swordmaking is a lot more "cult" and I can't find any Swordmaking Marts in town.

I'm assuming I need to order something like a 3- or 4-foot blank of 1060? 5160? (which?) directly from an industrial metal supplier (which?)?

Any recommendations in regards to both questions would be greatly appreciated. If it's of any relevance I'm aiming for a a medieval cruciform sword about 35-40 inches in length and modeling it around the profile of an Angus Trim I already own.
Re: Where to Buy Steel for Swordmaking?
A. Gallo wrote:
Hi,

I've made knives before, and it's very easy to find something like an 8 inch blank for that and material choices are largely aesthetic, but obviously swordmaking is a lot more "cult" and I can't find any Swordmaking Marts in town.

I'm assuming I need to order something like a 3- or 4-foot blank of 1060? 5160? (which?) directly from an industrial metal supplier (which?)?

Any recommendations in regards to both questions would be greatly appreciated. If it's of any relevance I'm aiming for a a medieval cruciform sword about 35-40 inches in length and modeling it around the profile of an Angus Trim I already own.

I would recommend the following:

Kelly Cupples

2807 Butterfield Rd.
Yakima, WA 98901
509-949-5231
octihunter@charter.net
http://elliscustomknifeworks.hightemptools.com/steel.html

I have never personally ordered steel from Mr. Cupples, but many people have and have always spoken highly of him.

Aldo Bruno (The New Jersey Steel Baron)

aldo@njsteelbaron.com
http://www.njsteelbaron.com/
(looks like Aldo's site is temporarily down)

I have personally ordered steel from Aldo, several times. Aldo is a great guy, who is responsive, knowledgeable, and passionate about steel. I highly recommend talking to Aldo to find exactly the right steel for your heat-treating setup and abilities.

Admiral Steel
http://www.admiralsteel.com/

I've ordered steel from them a couple times. Not thrilled about their prices (they will kill you on shipping/handling). In the past, apparently people have been shipped the wrong steel, etc, which makes one wary. I haven't heard of this happening recently, though.

Dustin
Another good source for 5160 is spring shops. A lot of truck springs are made of 5160 and are readily available. You might want to call a spring shop in your area and talk to them about it. U pull it parts stores may have some you can take off an old pick up, too.
I 2nd Aldo. Just got a batch of high carbon for pattern welding. Good stuff and a great guy.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: