Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Antique Japanese armour for sale? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Jojo Zerach

PostPosted: Wed 19 Jan, 2011 11:41 pm    Post subject: Antique Japanese armour for sale?         Reply with quote

So I found a site that is has quite a bit of "antique Japanese armour" for under $100.
The site looks pretty professional, but it also gives no date on the Japanese peices.
Does this sound questionable?
The armour is in a damaged state, but that still seems a bit cheap too me, opinions?
Thanks!
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Thu 20 Jan, 2011 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Antique Japanese armour for sale?         Reply with quote

Jojo Zerach wrote:
So I found a site that is has quite a bit of "antique Japanese armour" for under $100.
The site looks pretty professional, but it also gives no date on the Japanese peices.
The armour is in a damaged state, but that still seems a bit cheap too me, opinions?
Thanks!

Sounds " iffy " to me like a nice letter from a Nigerian Prince that you are the only one who can save his fortune by opening a bank account in his name with a promise of making millions getting the royal jewels out of the country by claiming to be the legitimate inheritor ........ Wink Razz Eek!

So, more seriously: What armour, in what condition and it is $100 for a few pieces of rusty lamellar scales ?

Why would anything interesting and worth acquiring be so " cheap " ? We can't really say anything with some real idea of what is being offered for sale but then if it looks like really good pieces they might be genuine pics of good stuff they don't actually have ???

So buyer beware. Wink

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Jojo Zerach

PostPosted: Thu 20 Jan, 2011 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Antique Japanese armour for sale?         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Jojo Zerach wrote:
Thanks!

Sounds " iffy " to me like a nice letter from a Nigerian Prince that you are the only one who can save his fortune by opening a bank account in his name with a promise of making millions getting the royal jewels out of the country by claiming to be the legitimate inheritor ........ Wink Razz Eek!

So, more seriously: What armour, in what condition and it is $100 for a few pieces of rusty lamellar scales ?

Why would anything interesting and worth acquiring be so " cheap " ? We can't really say anything with some real idea of what is being offered for sale but then if it looks like really good pieces they might be genuine pics of good stuff they don't actually have ???

So buyer beware. Wink

Well, for example, they have a suneate (greave) for $65.
It's missing pieces, and the laquer is coming off.
From their detailed pictures, it looks quite authentic too my eye.
It's from Faganarms, they're a respectable dealer, right?
Simon G.

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 20 Jan, 2011 11:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Problem is, if you don't provide a date or at least some range, you can say of a piece from the 1950s that it's "antique"... and you wouldn't be really lying.
Eric S

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Thu 20 Jan, 2011 1:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It is not unusual to find authentic antique Japanese armor pieces that are damaged for a low price. These pieces can be quite helpful to someone interested in the materials and construction methods used. Usually they are beyond repair, at least to the average person.
Karl Schlesien

PostPosted: Thu 20 Jan, 2011 7:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

From this dealer.

http://faganarms.com/weapons_arms_armor/japan...spx?page=2

I would ask questions from this seller. From my experiences he gives nothing of value away.

Caveat emptor!

Grüß Gott !
Eric S

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Thu 20 Jan, 2011 7:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Karl Schlesien wrote:
From this dealer.

I would ask questions from this seller. From my experiences he gives nothing of value away.

Caveat emptor!

Grüß Gott !
The Japanese armor pictured on the site is real but has no "value" as they are single pieces separated from a pair or tattered scraps. You can usually find such pieces for less on ebay. They may take a lower offer though.
Jojo Zerach

PostPosted: Fri 21 Jan, 2011 8:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Eric S wrote:
Karl Schlesien wrote:
From this dealer.

Caveat emptor!

Grüß Gott !
The Japanese armor pictured on the site is real but has no "value" as they are single pieces separated from a pair or tattered scraps. You can usually find such pieces for less on ebay. They may take a lower offer though.

Thanks!
That's what I thought might be the case, it doesn't really bother me that they're not in perfect condition.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Antique Japanese armour for sale?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic