Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > A Game of Thrones Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Bryce Felperin

PostPosted: Mon 18 Apr, 2011 10:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tom Kinder wrote:
I just wish Martin would finish writing the next book. I have been waiting for that book for years and this show isn't helping.

I haven't seen any of the show yet and I keep telling myself that I won't watch it until Martin finishes the next book but the truth is I just don't have the ability to watch the show. if I had cable and/or was not out on patrol so often I'd likely be glued to the set watching this. I'm sure I will at least rent it from netflix when it comes out but I may buy it too.

I'm with you on this Tom. I plan on waiting till it comes out on DVD/Blue Ray and getting the whole season then. I figure that for a lower price than a six month or so subscription to HBO (about $120) I can get the whole season in a box set for half the price and watch it whenever I wish to see it. :-)

As for the new book...well I've gotten over a half dozen email alerts from Amazon over the last few years telling me it's been delayed yet again...so I'm no longer holding my breath for it anymore.
Gabriele A. Pini

PostPosted: Mon 18 Apr, 2011 2:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Matthew Stagmer wrote:
Well done. They had me in the 1st scene with the wolf pups. I am already embossing some wolf head shields as we speak!

Like this one?

As for see it... I think I will use the HD projector of the convent where I have to attend the Easter retreat. The prior is a big fan of american movies.
Jean-Carle Hudon

PostPosted: Mon 18 Apr, 2011 2:57 pm    Post subject: On with the game         Reply with quote

I saw the first episode sunday night at nine on HBOCanada. I'm a Bean fan from the days of Sharpe, and a fantasy fan weened on arthurian lore and a first read of Tolkien back in 67, so I want to enjoy this series. So far so good, all the stereotypes are on their tracks for the moment : good solid salt of the earth northerners, weird stuff beyond the impassable ice border, twisted politicos from the urban south, nasty hunnish barbarians, and so on.
By the way, I have had the pleasure of handling wolf pups and they were way more aggressive than those dire-wolf pups, and that at a much younger age, but the aesthetics are pleasing, alaskan malamutes perhaps...
Is HBO USA playing this also on sundays? I was a bit surprised because of the nudity and fornication, but as a song said back in the sixties : '' Sundays will never be the same''..
Cheers,
Jean-Carle

Bon coeur et bon bras
Eric G.

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Mon 18 Apr, 2011 3:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gabriele A. Pini wrote:
Matthew Stagmer wrote:
Well done. They had me in the 1st scene with the wolf pups. I am already embossing some wolf head shields as we speak!

Like this one?

As for see it... I think I will use the HD projector of the convent where I have to attend the Easter retreat. The prior is a big fan of american movies.

I can't wait until someone comes out on the market with a version of this shield... so cool looking.

Eric Gregersen
www.EricGregersen.com
Knowledge applied is power.
Morgan Butler

PostPosted: Mon 18 Apr, 2011 4:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here is a docu-short on the weapons of G.O.T.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kM_7ccvNcys

inkothemgard!
Ian S LaSpina

Reading list: 5 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 18 Apr, 2011 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: On with the game         Reply with quote

As far as the delay on GRRM's latest novel in the series, I've read that the tv show is to blame since he got so involved in the production to ensure HBO got it right. So far, so awesome in my opinion. I'm really looking forward to where they take the show, especially in portraying the varying perspectives like GRRM did in the books.

Jean-Carle Hudon wrote:

Is HBO USA playing this also on sundays? I was a bit surprised because of the nudity and fornication, but as a song said back in the sixties : '' Sundays will never be the same''..
Cheers,
Jean-Carle

Yes they are... but HBO also airs True Blood on Sundays, which features lots of violence and nudity as well, so nothing new for HBO.

My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest
"Monsters are dangerous, and just now Kings are dying like flies..."
Julien M

PostPosted: Tue 19 Apr, 2011 2:05 am    Post subject: Re: On with the game         Reply with quote

Ian S LaSpina wrote:
Yes they are... but HBO also airs True Blood on Sundays, which features lots of violence and nudity as well, so nothing new for HBO.

Indeed, and it was even more the case for HBO's Rome (that I really enjoyed, though not as much as "I Claudius"). You had to have at least a couple of humping scenes per episode, just as you have to see every male character in True blood bare chested at least once to please the feminine audience. I saw the first Episode of the game of thrones yesterday, It was alright and I might stick to it.

Jean-Carle Hudon wrote:
So far so good, all the stereotypes are on their tracks for the moment

That's very true, and it sometimes makes such introductory episodes a bit boring. Now that the pieces are in place, let them get at each other's thoat...

I too have read the entire works of tolkien half a dozen times since childhood, but George R. R. Martin books keep falling off my hands after 50 pages or so. Not the same league by a longshot. I find there is a very strong "Zelazny" feel to the series.
JE Sarge
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 19 Apr, 2011 4:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I was able to download the premier here and give it a watch.

It's not bad, a bit slow, but more interesting than many movies I have seen as of late. It will improve over the 10 episodes slated, you can't give everything away at once. The dwarf is spot-on and Boromir as Ned Stark works well. Some of the other characters are 'meh', but hopefully as the plot reveals itself, they will grown unto their own.

On the arms and armor, its the typical overbuilt Hollywood prop stuff - nothing really caught my eye as interesting. Stark's sword must weight 10 lbs, that thing is a monster. Everyone else looks like they are carrying MRL LARP boffer swords. I normally like to see at least one or two well-made hero weapons, but there are no notable smiths associated wtih the project, probably due to budget constraints. Not that I mind all the nudity, but maybe there will be some sword or armor eye candy later. Laughing Out Loud

I will continue watching. It's not all that bad...

J.E. Sarge
Crusader Monk Sword Scabbards and Customizations
www.crusadermonk.com

"But lack of documentation, especially for such early times, is not to be considered as evidence of non-existance." - Ewart Oakeshott
Torsten F.H. Wilke

PostPosted: Tue 19 Apr, 2011 11:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sorry gentlemen, this series does nothing for me except instill the want to have it wiped off the face of my television for all eternity...

EDIT: By that I mean it's really, really bad. IE: Junk Laughing Out Loud Laughing Out Loud Laughing Out Loud
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Tue 19 Apr, 2011 5:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

HBO has already renewed it for a second season, televising the second book, A Clash of Kings.
JE Sarge
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 20 Apr, 2011 2:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Torsten F.H. Wilke wrote:
Sorry gentlemen, this series does nothing for me except instill the want to have it wiped off the face of my television for all eternity...

EDIT: By that I mean it's really, really bad. IE: Junk Laughing Out Loud Laughing Out Loud Laughing Out Loud

C'mon, man, give it a little bit of a break for trying. After all, its not Highlander 2 or Beastmaster 4 we are talking about... Laughing Out Loud

J.E. Sarge
Crusader Monk Sword Scabbards and Customizations
www.crusadermonk.com

"But lack of documentation, especially for such early times, is not to be considered as evidence of non-existance." - Ewart Oakeshott
Taylor Ellis

PostPosted: Wed 20 Apr, 2011 4:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You don't like incest, nipple tweaking and an author who focus' more on what his characters eat than what they do? Wink
Joshua Anthony

PostPosted: Wed 20 Apr, 2011 7:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

One episode in and so far I'm enjoying it. I don't know how anyone can judge it without seeing the whole. Yes, it starts out slow, but that's because it's a complicated plot with many story lines and characters to develop. I think it shows a lot of promise, and I'm happy to hear HBO gave the go ahead for season two.
"...He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one." - Jesus, Luke 22:36
Jonathan Blair

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Wed 20 Apr, 2011 9:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Taylor Ellis wrote:

You don't like incest, nipple tweaking and an author who focus' more on what his characters eat than what they do? Wink

Thanks, I just spewed coffee all over my computer screen.

"Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword." - The Lord Jesus Christ, from The Gospel According to Saint Matthew, chapter x, verse 34, Authorized Version of 1611
Jeff A. Arbogast

PostPosted: Wed 20 Apr, 2011 3:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, I like it a lot better than "Camelot" so far. Plenty of good acting in Camelot, but I'm sick of the young "blond beach boy" Arthur that seems SOOOO formulaic. Why not a scarred, grizzled man of war which the REAL guy the legend is based on probably was? I found a few other details pretty lame too. But I digress.
I am not familiar with the books concerned, but I like the dark edge this series has (at least judging by one episode). I particularly enjoyed the Dwarf. A more formidable opponent than his size suggests, I'll wager. Being a "Medieval/Fantasy series, I'll withhold judgment on details until I see a bit more. But I'm recording it on my DVR for now.

A man's nose is his castle-and his finger is a mighty sword that he may wield UNHINDERED!
Chris Bosselmann

PostPosted: Wed 11 May, 2011 5:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I love the books.

The story is far better than Lord Of The Rings.

Is there anyone here, who has contact to the set?

A dream would come true, if I could play a little role in this... There are hundrets of charakters, big battles and if they realize every book, the story will go on for many many years.

thanks.

http://www.gladiusvivit.de - temporary down.
Marko Susimetsa

PostPosted: Wed 11 May, 2011 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: On with the game         Reply with quote

Excellent series in my books, surpassing pretty much everything I've seen on TV to date.

I just hope that they can somehow improve the fourth book when it comes the time to turn that into the fourth season of the series. That book was very "meh" in my books (not really advancing the story but just telling what happened to all the characters during the years before the fifth book).

Jean-Carle Hudon wrote:
By the way, I have had the pleasure of handling wolf pups and they were way more aggressive than those dire-wolf pups, and that at a much younger age, but the aesthetics are pleasing, alaskan malamutes perhaps...

It is actually a later breed, called the Northern Inuit Dog:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Inuit_Dog
Johan Gemvik

PostPosted: Wed 11 May, 2011 9:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I feel the tv series is shaping up very nicely. Fight scenes are good, especially the swordmaster teaching scene at the very end of episode 3 is excellent. I'm looking forward to seeing more of that (trying hard not to post a spoiler here Wink ). I also think they captured the poorly trained bouting at the Wall very well.
The Dwarf is quickly becoming a favorite character of mine, that actor is really good. Stark is also great of course, though more low key, I guess that's just in charcter. And the wolves are amazing, so far and this could have been a possible pitfall for the series they've avoided grandly.

Camelot, as mentioned above, is failing on the same terms. Poor, even horribly poor fight scenes with logical gaps and misconceptions about how to do proper training at times -especially the Gawain training session which is more dirty tricks than him showing he can actually fight at all with two swords (doubting it). Double blocking, from a Master? Really? In the aftermath of series like Spartacus: Gods of the Arena, one would think the bar for adventure tv series with two sword fighting would have to hold themselves to a much higher standard than this. They really should get someone from over there to show them the ropes. If not from there then how about that two saber guy from The Scorpion King? This is a point they could really pick up on and do something of, put in that he wasn't really doing his best to train them and intentionally holding back. Get him up to speed Spartacus style, get him back in and BAM! Rock and Roll 2-sword style. But will they do it? One can hope at least.
The storytelling in general has little feel for most charcters despite what I know are some good actors. Perhaps this'll pick up, I hope so.
The only characters I like right now are Merlin wrestling with his inner demons and murdering people for the greater good, and Morgan doing the same but for her own twisted reasons. They're stealing the scenes, stealing the entire show even and they're really all that keeps me watching it. That and Claire and Eva being really hot. Perhaps they should let Claire have more proper acting scenes though, since they got her on the set and all and I know from cinema she can be pretty great.

On second thought, I don't think I'll ever see any fight scene on tv or cinema to top the end of Gods of the Arena. Nothing beats the Ring of Fire. They've spoiled me for life, and any comparisons might be a bit unfair. Wink

"The Dwarf sees farther than the Giant when he has the giant's shoulder to mount on" -Coleridge

Last edited by Johan Gemvik on Wed 11 May, 2011 3:44 pm; edited 3 times in total
Johan Gemvik

PostPosted: Wed 11 May, 2011 10:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

JE Sarge wrote:

C'mon, man, give it a little bit of a break for trying. After all, its not Highlander 2 or Beastmaster 4 we are talking about... Laughing Out Loud

I... kind of.. liked those actually. *ebarrassed*

No one can take Beastmaster as anything but light B-entertainment and judge it from that lower standard. It's a budget tv version of A D& D, with partial nudity and low grade stunts with some cute zoo pets thrown in and not much else. Still, I remember them switching to ridiculous red plastic swords I couldn't stand seeing. I hope it was meant as a joke. Wink

"The Dwarf sees farther than the Giant when he has the giant's shoulder to mount on" -Coleridge
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Sun 25 Mar, 2012 5:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here is a video showing weapons for season 2. Many of the swords look OK, at least from a distance - certainly better than those on many film fantasies. Also, Fire Arrows!! I guess there always have to be fire arrows.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i35uZVIsl8k

The new season starts April 1st

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > A Game of Thrones
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: