Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Clements is on TV tonight! ("The Fight Book") Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 
Randall Pleasant

PostPosted: Tue 25 Jan, 2011 8:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

James Head wrote:
...the end result was fascinating. Aaron (the one in plate) got sick to his stomach after just a few bangs to his helmet and had to sit out.

Razz

Ran Pleasant
ARMA DFW
David Teague

PostPosted: Tue 25 Jan, 2011 9:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dustin R. Reagan wrote:
Josh Warren wrote:
In general, though, I would expect a grappling match between a man in full harness and one with no harness to result in the unarmoured man getting absolutely shredded.

Maybe I'm off-base here, but I don't think anyone is arguing that this isn't the case. What I think people *are* saying is that grappling an armoured opponent when oneself is unarmoured may be the lesser-of-two-evils. I'm not sure I agree, but I could be persuaded.

Dustin

The set up in the show was a bit off.

There was no reason for the armoured man to use halfswording against the unarmoured man. They did it to make it safe for JC to close (part of their choreographed fight system) and give him the chance to use a pommel strike.

The best way to fight the man in armour when you are lightly armed is with a poleaxe... and bring 3-5 of your friend also poleaxe armed.

Cheers,

David

This you shall know, that all things have length and measure.

Free Scholar/ Instructor Selohaar Fechtschule
The Historic Recrudescence Guild

"Yea though I walk through the valley of death, I will fear no evil: for Thou's sword art is with me; Thy poleaxe and Thy quarterstaff they comfort me."
Allen Foster

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Tue 25 Jan, 2011 9:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Randall Pleasant wrote:

Razz

Ran Pleasant
ARMA DFW

Hahaha! That's funny. Laughing Out Loud

No one has asked the question yet, but who's going to fix Aaron's dent(s)?

"Rise up, O Lord, and may thy enemies be dispersed and those who hate thee be driven from thy face."
James Head

PostPosted: Tue 25 Jan, 2011 10:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Allen Foster wrote:

No one has asked the question yet, but who's going to fix Aaron's dent(s)?

The ones in his helmet or the ones in his head?
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Tue 25 Jan, 2011 11:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David Teague wrote:

There was no reason for the armoured man to use halfswording against the unarmoured man. They did it to make it safe for JC to close (part of their choreographed fight system) and give him the chance to use a pommel strike.

The best way to fight the man in armour when you are lightly armed is with a poleaxe... and bring 3-5 of your friend also poleaxe armed.

Cheers,

David

The thing is that the armoured guy, if a competent fighter, won't let the unarmoured guy close in very easily and would use his sword or other weapons to full advantage of range and not halfsword as mentioned. ( Note I haven't seen the program but there is no good reason for the guy in armour to halfsword against an unarmoured man.

Oh, and I agree that the poleaxe or a halberd or maybe a stout spear may be the best weapon available if one is unarmoured and had no choice but to fight. ( A few friends make sense and probably how lightly armed fighters would have to handle the problem of a well armoured opponent on a battlefield ..... sort of the wolf pack against the bear strategy: One wolf doesn't have much chance against one bear. Wink Laughing Out Loud 0

I still like the spiked mace or a warhammer but it does mean having to close the distance. ( Why I added a shield or rotella in my previous post ). Historically I don't think that maces where used this way, so it's just a guess on my part as to what might work.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Taylor Ellis

PostPosted: Tue 25 Jan, 2011 5:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dustin R. Reagan wrote:
Josh Warren wrote:
In general, though, I would expect a grappling match between a man in full harness and one with no harness to result in the unarmoured man getting absolutely shredded.

Maybe I'm off-base here, but I don't think anyone is arguing that this isn't the case. What I think people *are* saying is that grappling an armoured opponent when oneself is unarmoured may be the lesser-of-two-evils. I'm not sure I agree, but I could be persuaded.

Dustin

Exactly. You may well get shredded, and you might have to work harder for some specific submissions (or an opening to stick your dagger in), but I still think it's a better choice than trying to win from a distance. This is assuming both parties are using longswords of course.
Kel Rekuta

PostPosted: Thu 27 Jan, 2011 6:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

So getting back to the OP....

I found time to watch this thing yesterday. A couple comments and observations:

#1 - I completely retract my earlier comment about the armoured presentation. Aaron did an absolutely awesome job in his presentation with JC unarmoured. He must have had a bitch of a time not braining JC in that situation. Having done a lot of demos on and off camera over the years - the producers usually want unrealistic or downright stupid things presented at some point in the gig. This was one of them. Kudos to both of them for not getting hurt! Aaron really needs a better liner in that bucket though. I'm sure he will be looking for one soon. Laughing Out Loud

#2 - Really enjoyed the experimental archaeology aspects of the show. Agree or disagree with the interpretations or reproductions... there was a budget to attempt them. It is great that an attempt was made instead of the usual hypothetical discussions.

#3 - The CGI armoured poleaxe fighters were a HOOT! I don't play video games so I wouldn't know if this is standard fair graphics. Watching CGI done with HEMA research based movements was very entertaining.

#4 - Aaron and the Danish woman doing the pit fight were both terrific. It must have been an absolute blast to play that one out. I'll bet there are a couple hours of them going at it, running through each play. I hope they get copies of unedited material. It was a one in lifetime opportunity!

As far as TV info-tainment goes, this was a pretty good hour of programming. All involved should be proud to have been part of it. Cool
Matthew Stagmer
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 17 Nov, 2011 1:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey I just watched this for the first time last night. I thought it was pretty neat. One could pick apart a few things here and there if one wanted to but all in all I am hoping for a part 2.

It was nice searching through Nat Geo's On demand shows and choosing one at random and seeing Owen on there and Clements.

I picked up some tidbits that I had overlooked. I just wanted to say well done to Owen and others that were involved.

Matthew Stagmer
Maker of custom and production weaponry
Youtube.com/ThatWorks

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Clements is on TV tonight! ("The Fight Book")
Page 5 of 5 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: