Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Clements is on TV tonight! ("The Fight Book") Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next 
James Head

PostPosted: Wed 19 Jan, 2011 12:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Christian. I am so glad you pointed that out. I've often wondered the same thing about certain other fechtbuch sections that I've seen. If you were to arrange those images like a flip book, it would look just like an armored halfsword fight. With the strange complication that the combatants' armor was slowly fading out of existence.

I think this is why it is so important to truly know the material you are working with, and (more importantly) collaborate with other like minded experts. I also got a sense that the ARMA crew (John and Aaron) did not spend much time preparing for the segments on Judicial Duels. I'm always attracted to the quirky side of things, so Medieval ritual combat traditions are of particular interest to me. Like I mentioned earlier, they paired a Frankish rite Langenschilt with a Swabian rite arming sword. And even John C mentions in his blog that most of the techniques they used with the shields came from their experience with the other big-name KDF weapons like the longsword, pollaxe and messer. Obviously there is a huge overlap in technique between all these weapons, but the Langenschilt has the least amount of similarity amongst them. Such a strange object requires some individual attention before diving right into it. That's all I can really say since there is very little material on this part of filming that has been made available. I'm not accusing anyone of doing things wrong, but I get a sense that these areas were not considered as having much importance.

Also, concerning collaboration. It seems clear that in John's blog he was not aware that Leo Todeschi (sp?) was the one commissioned to build the shields. That is certainly the fault of the film producer and has nothing to do with John Clements. But it just illustrates this strange issue of 'six degrees of separation' that we have going on in the HEMA and Arms & Armour communities. We are still a relatively small group of enthusiasts and experts, even globally. Everybody is connected to everyone else. I think it would have been so much better if the film producer simply connected John Clements with Leo, so the two of them could work out the design of the Langenschilts together: height, weight, balance, blunted tips etc... It would have made it better for everyone. John would have felt more comfortable working with the shields, thus giving a better performance, thus increasing the chances of Leo's work to be featured in the final cut of the TV special.
Kel Rekuta

PostPosted: Wed 19 Jan, 2011 1:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean Flynt wrote:
On that armoured/unarmoured fight: The comments/actions by AP and JC were very interesting. AP said the momentum provided by the armour complicated his ability to strike at JC safely. JC noted that he had the mobility advantage and he used it in good combination with half-sword. He pressed his attack after AP turned away after the head strike, calculating and moving in for a pulled thrust under AP's arm. AP appeared to get in a good slice at JC's torso and sword arm early in the exchange. With sharps, that might have ended it.

I'd like to see this thing - if Aaron had trouble hitting JC because of the momentum of his harness... it is unfortunate that he helped perpetuate the stereotype of a clumsy armoured man. Either the harness doesn't fit him or he isn't accustomed to wearing it. Too bad. Sad
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 19 Jan, 2011 1:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kel Rekuta wrote:
I'd like to see this thing - if Aaron had trouble hitting JC because of the momentum of his harness... it is unfortunate that he helped perpetuate the stereotype of a clumsy armoured man. Either the harness doesn't fit him or he isn't accustomed to wearing it. Too bad. Sad

The show included a fairly significant segment on this issue and included showing a man in full armour jumping, rolling, running at speed, etc. and specifically mentioned several things to debunk the myths that paint European armour as heavy and unwieldy.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Kel Rekuta

PostPosted: Wed 19 Jan, 2011 1:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Kel Rekuta wrote:

The show included a fairly significant segment on this issue and included showing a man in full armour jumping, rolling, running at speed, etc. and specifically mentioned several things to debunk the myths that paint European armour as heavy and unwieldy.

Good! Cool
James Head

PostPosted: Wed 19 Jan, 2011 1:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kel Rekuta wrote:

Sean Flynt wrote:
AP said the momentum provided by the armour complicated his ability to strike at JC safely.

The problem was that Aaron could have easily ruined John C with hardly any effort. He actually had to dial back his actions to allow John a chance to land a few Mordhaus. The mismatch between a fully armored Man at Arms and person in plain clothes is very unfair. So much so that it doesn't seem plausible. And, as Christian noted, the plate was more than likely not showing a match between a man in armor and a man in every day wear. Instead, it was the beginning of the artist's 'shorthand' so he could finish all the rest of the halfswording plays without taking a million years.
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Wed 19 Jan, 2011 1:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The narration does acknowledge that the scenario is unlikely but not impossible.
It's another reminder not to accept medieval illustrations as photographs.

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Wed 19 Jan, 2011 5:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I enjoyed the presentation. It had some faults, but was certainly superior to the typical Bad History Channel effort.

A few random comments:

Like everyone else here, I wanted more longsword combat!! It seemed that less that 25% of the show was concerned with hand-to-hand fighting.

If I was fighting someone in full plate armor, instead of a thrusting longsword, I'd want a poll-axe or a bec-de-corbin.

I wasn't convinced by the crayfish explanation. Having them run back and forth on tracks inside the gatehouse seemed like a lot more trouble that they were worth. It would have been pretty easy to knock them aside with a pole-arm or shovel at the price of a few men-at-arms.

Being inside that early proto-tank would be most unpleasant. - really bad for your hearing and respiratory system.

Clements gave a good plug in his blog for the Albion Talhoffer, Regent, and the Maestros.
Owen Bush
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 20 Jan, 2011 12:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I havn't seen the show yet so cant comment on that .
but reading the comments on Judicial Duels I would like to add the very real possibility that what is depicted in this manuscript is not the fair fight or best possible fight from the combatants terms.
The judicial duel as I understand it is a trial in front of god and also with a blood thirsty audience . It would look like a lot of the weapons combinations are not chosen because they are ideal for the job in hand but more because they would be a burden and and make fighting harder (and or more interesting) more of a chore, more of an ordeal, more of a test....more of a trial in both senses of the word.

forging soul into steel .

www.owenbush.co.uk the home of bushfire forge school of smithing .
Leo Todeschini
Industry Professional

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 20 Jan, 2011 1:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

James Head Wrote
Quote:
Also, concerning collaboration. It seems clear that in John's blog he was not aware that Leo Todeschi (sp?) was the one commissioned to build the shields. That is certainly the fault of the film producer and has nothing to do with John Clements. But it just illustrates this strange issue of 'six degrees of separation' that we have going on in the HEMA and Arms & Armour communities. We are still a relatively small group of enthusiasts and experts, even globally. Everybody is connected to everyone else. I think it would have been so much better if the film producer simply connected John Clements with Leo, so the two of them could work out the design of the Langenschilts together: height, weight, balance, blunted tips etc... It would have made it better for everyone. John would have felt more comfortable working with the shields, thus giving a better performance, thus increasing the chances of Leo's work to be featured in the final cut of the TV special.

James brings up a good point about communication. TV companies rarely put everybody in touch simply because if they do they will be out of the loop and not really know what is going on, so they have to be the pivot around which everything happens. This means that requests and information get muddied as it travels round.

I would love to have seen the shields used and it is a shame they were not, as I still stand proudly by them and how they were constructed.

My brief for the shields were that they were to be used two handed and that they were the weapons, so they were built like a shield around a staff weapon with a 30mm /1.25" handle section. Talhoffer shows most of these shields as the weapon and does not show any breaking significantly so I surmised they should be tough. It was requested that they should be as 'real' as possible so they were made from planked poplar and covered in linen and gesso (never very light) and had sharp points, as per Talhoffer. In the early stages of construction the production company requested them to be 'pointier'. The poplar was 1/2" 12mm and so if this were taken down to say 3/8" 9mm this would have only saved maybe 10% of the weight, so I do not think they were overbuilt.

The production company asked me to make a robust pointy two handed shield; it looks like John wanted a light weight single handed shield with blunt points. Had the TV company put John and I in contact and I had discovered they were to be used one handed they would have been built differently (assuming the production company approved a shield to Johns specification; and that is the reality of these things). Never forget that us as an audience is a very small part of their target market, it is the other 20 million viewers that require a highly entertaining show and much as we may lament it reality gets put on a back burner as compared with rateings. The sheeps skull is not a real test, but it was very visual = viewers= profit. So what the production company asks for,they get and we as enthusiats and manufacturers can only manipulate their requests.

Regards

Tod

www.todsworkshop.com
www.todcutler.com
www.instagram.com/todsworkshop
https://www.facebook.com/TodsWorkshop
www.youtube.com/user/todsstuff1
Christian Henry Tobler

PostPosted: Thu 20 Jan, 2011 6:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi James,

Regarding the Langenschilt, I agree with you...for the most part.

First, as you mention, there is the overlap of techniques/general usage. One of the things I teach my students to do is analyze how a weapon works, then decide upon what subset of the overall art applies to it.

If we perform this exercise with the shield, we find it can strike blows like a sword (the word 'hau' is specifically used in texts for this weapon), is can thrust like the sword/spear/poleaxe, it can hook like the poleaxe, etc. That gives us a lot. But...what's missing is how to use it like a shield, and for this we must look to the texts for the long shield; there we find the idea of using this very large shield like a sort of revolving door, around which one fights. We also find methods for forcing the other guy's door to 'open', allowing us access to the target.

So, yes, you can do some good stuff with the long shield just using knowledge of the other weapons, but there are specialized things to know as well.

All the best,

Christian

Christian Henry Tobler
Order of Selohaar

Freelance Academy Press: Books on Western Martial Arts and Historical Swordsmanship

Author, In Saint George's Name: An Anthology of Medieval German Fighting Arts
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Thu 20 Jan, 2011 8:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Paul Macdonald and Bob Brooks were bouting with long shields ala Talhoffer a decade or so ago and ongoing. The video(s) of those seemed sturdy but wield-able for work also with a sword. IIRC, there are two varieties of these, One more of a hooking and pavaiseroutine, the other more as a weapon but then again back to the sequencing in the original book itself.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9VG4ClQcJk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkFx8JdBodk

http://wn.com/judicial_combat

It was still a treat just to see the color plates and one could hope in our lifetimes that at some point the entirety of it might be shared as an e-book. I know a lot of folk (including myself) have Five Rings and The Mark Rector edition on their shelves with more efforts coming along in time but to actually have an original text such as that in hand has got to be a thrill for. anyone.

There were some funny (ha ha ) moments I caught as uniquely Clements but my mentioning specifics could easily be misinterpreted. Despite the Yanks' hurdles and perceived productions problems, it looks like everyone had a bit of fun by the end of the day(s) and months for all involved.

Cheers

GC
Craig Shackleton

PostPosted: Thu 20 Jan, 2011 8:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Glen A Cleeton wrote:

It was still a treat just to see the color plates and one could hope in our lifetimes that at some point the entirety of it might be shared as an e-book. I know a lot of folk (including myself) have Five Rings and The Mark Rector edition on their shelves with more efforts coming along in time but to actually have an original text such as that in hand has got to be a thrill for. anyone.

This is the Thott we are discussing, right?

Are you looking for a facsimile like THIS ONE, or a facsimile, transcription, translation and commentary like THIS ONE?

Ottawa Swordplay
David Teague

PostPosted: Thu 20 Jan, 2011 9:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The things I noticed:

Was that Clements appeared to be sliding his hand up and down the edges with his fluid half swording techniques, something you can do with a blunt but didn't look quite right with a sharp. (He may have been gripping the flats and not allowing the edges to come in contact with this hands, but that's not the way it looked)

The sallet worn in the fight sequence did not have a period heavy quilted liner, just a simple leather one that transferred the energy of the pommel strikes right into the head of his armoured opponent .

That Irony is still alive in the world as the translation used by NatGo was Jeffery Hull's. Happy

I too wished for more Fight Book and less weird and wild weapons....

Cheers,

David

This you shall know, that all things have length and measure.

Free Scholar/ Instructor Selohaar Fechtschule
The Historic Recrudescence Guild

"Yea though I walk through the valley of death, I will fear no evil: for Thou's sword art is with me; Thy poleaxe and Thy quarterstaff they comfort me."
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 20 Jan, 2011 1:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David Teague wrote:
The sallet worn in the fight sequence did not have a period heavy quilted liner, just a simple leather one that transferred the energy of the pommel strikes right into the head of his armoured opponent .

Clements alludes to this in his blog and points out that many issues relating to the equipment were problematic. Some of them were caused by issues regarding the airlines, baggage, and travel.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Thu 20 Jan, 2011 4:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Enjoyed the fight book parts. Even if they were not perfect, which John notes in his blog, it was a neat oh-ah moment for people who had never seen the plates and could not imaging something like that existing. As they got more into the weird machines my interest thinned and I eventually wandered awy from the program.
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Fri 21 Jan, 2011 5:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Craig Shackleton wrote:
Glen A Cleeton wrote:

This is the Thott we are discussing, right?

Are you looking for a facsimile like THIS ONE, or a facsimile, transcription, translation and commentary like THIS ONE?

Very cool, thanks. I was having a hard time with the first one yesterday but seems to be working today. Flash issues or load, or something else.

Cheers

GC
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 21 Jan, 2011 6:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Finally got a chance to see it. Turns out it's all on YouTube in multiple parts now, for anyone like me who doesn't use cable TV.

All in all, I thought it was good for what it was. There are a ton of misconceptions and things that are flat out wrong, but quite frankly, it was so much better than a lot of other programs on the middle ages that I can get over it. What I liked most is that they really hammered home the idea that people in the middle ages weren't stupid.

As for all of the things that were wrong, Sean Hayes said this on SFI:

"A friend of mine once mentioned the "Nova effect." She noted that you would watch Nova and think, "Man! What a great job they do in really covering this subject!" The effect lasts until they cover *your* subject - and you think, "Lord! What a really crappy job they did with this!""

HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Walter S

PostPosted: Fri 21 Jan, 2011 7:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Youtube says the videos have been blocked in my country on copyright grounds... I am not amused Sad
Christian Henry Tobler

PostPosted: Fri 21 Jan, 2011 8:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Bill,

I've seen a bunch of bits and pieces now too, and I agree with you. The 'unarmoured v. armoured' thing is just a bit frustrating, because it could've completely been avoided with better communication across the (our) community; such analyses have been place for some years now, after all.

But yes, much better than the average medieval history program, and I think John Clements came off really well in the interview-style segments I saw: he was restrained, but engaged, which played well.

Cheers,

Christian

Christian Henry Tobler
Order of Selohaar

Freelance Academy Press: Books on Western Martial Arts and Historical Swordsmanship

Author, In Saint George's Name: An Anthology of Medieval German Fighting Arts
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 21 Jan, 2011 12:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Christian Henry Tobler wrote:
I've seen a bunch of bits and pieces now too, and I agree with you. The 'unarmoured v. armoured' thing is just a bit frustrating, because it could've completely been avoided with better communication across the (our) community; such analyses have been place for some years now, after all.

Oh, absolutely. The most frustrating thing about the entire documentary was that it sounded so much like the internet discussions of Talhoffer from 1999. There was so much more speculation in the program than there should have been, considering we actually do have the facts about a number of the issues. Case in point, the woman discussing the judicial duel between a man and a woman makes a point of saying "if this was real and not just Talhoffer's fantasy", as if we didn't have any other evidence of it happening (which of course, we have plenty). And James Head above hit the nail on the head of a number of the exact same complaints I have. And of course, as you mentioned, Talhoffer's "inventions" weren't actually his at all, yet the people involved in the program didn't seem to know that, which shows a lack of research. All of these things could have been easily fixed with better communication across the community, just as you said.

Nonetheless, it wasn't something that made me cringe watching it. I had my issues, but I chalk that up to the "Nova effect". Happy I'd rather have people see this than many of the other documentaries out there.

HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Clements is on TV tonight! ("The Fight Book")
Page 2 of 5 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: