Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > late period breast plate name? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Perry L. Goss

PostPosted: Sat 15 Jan, 2011 12:12 pm    Post subject: late period breast plate name?         Reply with quote

I have seen this type of breast plate several times. This one is located in the User album on this forum. What is the correct name for it? It appears to be made in pieces and closes in the front with a hook closure? I could be all wet too. Wouldn't be the first time!

http://www.myArmoury.com/albums/displayimage....&pos=0

Lastly, does anyone on the forum have other links or references to this type?

Thank you
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sat 15 Jan, 2011 1:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Perry,
Please copy and paste the link from the pic next to where it says: ""Direct link to this photo:". If you click on that link and then paste it in, it won't work. Just copy and paste the link itself. Happy The link you posted links to nothing.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Perry L. Goss

PostPosted: Sun 16 Jan, 2011 7:57 am    Post subject: Savoy armour what is the name for this style.         Reply with quote

How silly of me. I checked right after I posted, link was probably still just in ram.

Anyway, my satelite system has been down since 5:00 PM yesterday, but here it is

http://www.myArmoury.com/albums/photo/13675.html

I had been told once, can not remember the source that this type of armour was essentially for "civilian" use as it was light weight. ???

Thank you
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sun 16 Jan, 2011 8:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Perry,
No problem. Happy I think it's called a peascod style, in imitation of the civilian doublet of the same name.

Since it closes in the front with that hook, it's possible the breastplate wasn't built for military use.

Happy

ChadA

Perry L. Goss

PostPosted: Sun 16 Jan, 2011 8:20 am    Post subject: reply to Chad         Reply with quote

That tracks with what I was told a while back, years ago actually.

Peascod, yes.

Essentially it was a gentleman's lightweight [18 - 20 gauge] armor when they went about their daily business back..."in the day". Rapiers, dirks, sgains, stilletos, and the like along with all those that would relieve one of anything of value! Eek! Evil

Thank you
Allan Senefelder
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 16 Jan, 2011 8:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Waistcoat armour, it opens down the middle and copies the civilian doublet of the day. The shape of it is whats called peascod but the breast plate opens at the center thus making it a " waistcoat armour " which as you said was worn out in everyday life.
Perry L. Goss

PostPosted: Sun 16 Jan, 2011 8:36 am    Post subject: Waistcoat armour         Reply with quote

Allen, so...was the person correct when they told me a very lightweight armour? Any clues as to the gauge of them?

Thank you, knowledge progresses!

Scottish: Ballentine, Black, Cameron, Chisholm, Cunningham, Crawford, Grant, Jaffray, MacFarlane, MacGillivray, MacKay-Reay/Strathnaver, Munro, Robertson, Sinclair, Wallace

Irish/Welsh: Bodkin, Mendenhall, Hackworth

Swiss: Goss von Rothenfluh, Naff von Zurich und Solland von Appenzel
Josh Warren

PostPosted: Sun 16 Jan, 2011 3:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:

Since it closes in the front with that hook, it's possible the breastplate wasn't built for military use.

I'm curious as to why you think that feature disqualifies it for military use; many defenses from the period were constructed so that they opened at the front--brigandines, corrazinas, certain styles of coats of plates, and even some mailshirts.

Non Concedo
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sun 16 Jan, 2011 3:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Josh Warren wrote:
I'm curious as to why you think that feature disqualifies it for military use; many defenses from the period were constructed so that they opened at the front--brigandines, corrazinas, certain styles of coats of plates, and even some mailshirts.

Mainly because I see exactly one sneck hook that keeps it closed. And that one hook is on the left side where you could expect to take heavier blows. That seems insufficient for hard battlefield use. Obviously, there are other front-closing military garments/bits of armour throughout history. However, they usually have more than one small hook in a precarious position that keeps them closed. Happy

By the time period of the piece of armour in question in this thread, corrazinas and coats of plates would have been long since obsolete. Brigandines may may been around, though. I haven't seen a great deal of battlefield plate armour from this era that closes at the front (if any), though this isn't my period of greatest interest/study.

My lack of expertise and uncertainty are why I said it was "possible" it wasn't military. Happy I think it's a logical deduction to posit. Others seemed to have confirmed that it is non-military.

Happy

ChadA

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > late period breast plate name?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic