Sword scabberd and belt help needed
Hi guys,

I have ordered a late La-Tene sword which will be made by a Dutch smith. It is based on the Nienbuttel type and some Dutch findings of La-Tene swords. However, I don't seem to accomplish on a design for the scabberd.

I have been thinking how I want my scabberd to be attached to my belt. I can make rings on the side of the scabberd to attach it with thin leather strips to my belt. Out I can make a large sword belt and attach it at the front of the scabberd by a mounted eye and wear the belt across my shoulder. I''m wondering what would be more 'comfortable'? Our maybe there is a common way for the early Germanic swords and late La-Tene sword types?

Thanks!
I am currently working on piecing together parts for a La Tene sword suspension system myself. Unfortunately, i'm guessing your scabbard would not be exactly the same as mine. here is what I am doing...

If yours is set up the same way, I'd be happy to tell you where I'm getting my bronze rings and belt hook from, etc etc.

I'm just getting some leather straps from Tandy leather, some rivets off of ebay, some bronze rings from a marine supplier, and a belt hook from Raymond's Quiet Press
It happens that I am also trying to come up with the best way to suspend the scabbard for my viking shortsword. A baldric (shoulder strap) is what I think I'll go with.They are very comfortable to wear ,and they are historically accurate as well as good looking.A sword belt (in my experience) tends to eventually sink lower and lower on your waist with any good amount of action ,and the scabbard ends up touching the ground.Fine for slowly meandering ren. fairs ,but annoying for anything else.As for what exactly is the best way to suspend the scabbard from the baldric ,I'm rather in the dark.Any suggestions,anybody?
Franks, your belt is very intresting. I haven't seen it before. Is it a design that you came up with yourself? Our is it historical evidence that made you choose for this design?

The shoulder strap seems very comfortable indeed. I would like that idea. But where does it come from? Did the celts use that often? And in the later periods with the Germanic around the 1st century? I have seen some scabbards with an amount on the front, so it would be acceptable I think?

I have also seen swords where the scabbard is attached at the belt at a very nice way. Like this Nienbuttel sword that was made by Christian Böhling:
[ Linked Image ]

Also seems very handy... But not sure what would be best for the authenticity of my late La-Tene sword and what would me for comfortable..?
Magin Hard wrote:
Franks, your belt is very intresting. I haven't seen it before. Is it a design that you came up with yourself? Our is it historical evidence that made you choose for this design?

Andre Rapin uses this example in one of his drawings of the warrior panoply of burial 169, Nova Miesto, Slovenia. It is more period for La Tene III (1st century B.C.) while earlier La tene phases would have had a partial chain suspension. This grave also turned up an interesting helmet that was found in that region.

oh, ok. I see now that your scabbard loops are hooked up different then mine. Yours are in two different locations, while mine are up more towards the scabbard throat. I'm not sure how to set yours up, but it looks like it is made to be a hung at a bit of an angle to keep it up and away maybe? Kinda cool. The guy in your picture looks like he has it on pretty good.
Your information is very nice and seems to be good for my time.. only the region is not the same..

The picture I posted is not mine. It is from the Nienbuttel sword made by Christian Böhling. When I saw it I also thought... who, that seems to fit very nice! So I'm in doubt with that way, your way our the shoulder belt. :P

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: