Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > paired butterfly swords Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Owen Bush
Industry Professional

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Wed 26 Oct, 2011 2:14 am    Post subject: paired butterfly swords         Reply with quote

These were an interesting project.
I was approached by a customer who wanted to make a butterfly sword on one of my sword classes , and for me to make a matching partner so he had paired swords for practicing his Chinese martial arts. quite a challenging prospect on his part and trixy on mine making a matching piece to someone else's original...

here is tim contemplating Bashing his not too diminutive blade, 6.5mm at the tang going to 1.2 at the tip lots of bashing...

and grinding on the 5 hp grinder...

a bit more polish

my class including the eminent and glamourous assistant

5 of the class swords prior to peining and final clean up...

Tim left his knife with me and I made up a matching twin , the knives (or swords) are fast and well balanced , they are blunt which is a shame as I would have liked to cut with one ...however they are for martial arts practice and the last thing you want whirling around your head is sharp steel....
thanks Tim for your custom and hard work!!

forging soul into steel .

www.owenbush.co.uk the home of bushfire forge school of smithing .
Julien M

Spotlight topics: 1

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Thu 27 Oct, 2011 2:10 am    Post subject: Re: paired butterfly swords         Reply with quote

Owen Bush wrote:

my class including the eminent and glamourous assistant

Hey Owen,

It's great to see what another group of students came up with so thanks for uploading those pictures (that black and white cow skin will become trademark Happy )

For those who might not be able to recognize the "glamourous assistant" it is none other than Jake Powning himself (standing on Owen's left). I'm quiet envious of these guys as they got directions from two master bladesmiths for the price of one Happy

Cheers and looking forward for some workshop time.

J

PS: the sword on far right has a blackened hilt and knobbed quillons. was this guard and pommel made during the class?

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > paired butterfly swords
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic