Dirk ID anyone?
Can anyone help in identifying this dirk which appears to have an ivory handle and a blade of 10 inches long?

Attachment: 210.79 KB
[ Download ]
dirk Id
Looks like a naval dirk to me- American, English, French....?, there would have been a chain running from the ring on the pommel cap to the ring on the quillon. Hard to see details, but the fluted ivory and-- looks like bluing of the blade with gold washed etching looks like American Rev to mid 19th century to me. Clearer details of the blade pattern would be helpful. Any anchor or dolphin motifs?

I have seen a lot of War of 1812 and Napolionic Blades with the bluing and gold wash but they continued this in military dirks and swords for quite I while I believe.

Very nice looking piece.
Re: dirk Id
Terry Crain wrote:
Looks like a naval dirk to me- American, English, French....?, there would have been a chain running from the ring on the pommel cap to the ring on the quillon. Hard to see details, but the fluted ivory and-- looks like bluing of the blade with gold washed etching looks like American Rev to mid 19th century to me. Clearer details of the blade pattern would be helpful. Any anchor or dolphin motifs?

I have seen a lot of War of 1812 and Napolionic Blades with the bluing and gold wash but they continued this in military dirks and swords for quite I while I believe.

Very nice looking piece.

Thanks Terry - I have attached 2 more pictures albeit they're not as clear as they could be due to the camera I'm using. I will get a better camera later and try to get a clearer shot of the motif on the blade which appears like a leaf pattern?

Attachment: 231.65 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 240.73 KB
[ Download ]
And Yes there are two small rings one on the pommel cap and one on the quillon.
Looks like acanthus leaf design.

Per Google:

The acanthus leaf has been a motif that has continued in use for centuries. The use of acanthus leaf as decorative motif of a stylized leaf originated in ancient Greece where it was used as an architectural motif particularly on Corinthian capitals.

Today the acanthus leaf motif is found most commonly on case goods, but you will find it in upholstery fabric patterns as well.

It gained much popularity during the French Louis XVI period

Me: It has been used as a decorative element on weapons, swords dirks for centuries. You see it on rapiers, etched on military blades, etc.

Your dirk also looks like there is some sort of panoply of drums or arms or instruments in gold. I am talking about the circular looking section of the gold washed etching. Hard to make out from the pic. Again a panoply design can help to date the blade.

I am sure there are others much more knowledgable than me out there who could add more precise opinions.

Terry
http://www.swordsales.eu/1800s-British-Naval-Dirk-Blue-Gilt.html

This dirk while differant has many of the same elements as yours.

Terry
These are closer in design without your decorative elements....

http://www.swordsales.eu/1800s-British-Naval-...-Dirk.html

http://www.swordsales.eu/1800s-British-Naval-...-Dirk.html

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: