Tutorial wanted...I need a new grip on my sword
Hello everybody

I am looking for a good tutorial on how to create a nice cord wrapped grip with risers. I have a simple Windlass Viking sword that I would like to beef up a bit. I like the style of the sword but the grip is just not acceptable at all.

thanks a lot
Uwe
Hello Uwe,

I think the definitive "grip wrapping tutorial" (IMHO anyway) is to be found here:

http://www.yeoldegaffers.com/project_grip.asp

Hope it helps.

Neil
Hi Neil

THIS IS IT! Just what I was looking for, even scabbard making! Absolutely great, thanks a lot! One fundamental fact I just learned by quickly looking through the tutorial, the cord goes on top of the leather to hold it down and is being removed afterwards! I so far was thinking the cord would be around the wood and glued under the leather! With this guide my "cheap" sword will look like a dream in no time.

Thanks again...

cheers
Uwe
Keep in mind that this tutorial, while very well done, does not cover ALL possible ways to make a grip for a sword - there have been samples that are without any wrapping and use core made of wood, bone, metal or other materials, there have been those that have cord wrapped around the core and then covered in leather and those simply covered in leather with depressions made in the way described in this guide. And twisted and non-twisted wire, spacers of iron, latten and precious metals and so on have seen a fair amount of use in various times...

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: