Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > What's On Your List For 2011? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next 
M. Livermore

PostPosted: Tue 28 Dec, 2010 10:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Oh, I guess it can count for 2011 even if purchased in 2010 and already in transit is the A&A custom Viking Axe I just bought from the Muster Page. A & A does make a lot of nice polearms and they do often come up with interesting new ones.

I was wondering who beat me to that. Congratulations, Jean, and thank you for forcing me to talk to the folks at A&A about having a very similar axe made but scaled proportionately to be mounted on a 5' pole. Hopefully this year I will become a proper pelekophoros.
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 28 Dec, 2010 11:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hoping Barta will get to me soon as it's been nearly 6 years on the waiting list. I am set for 2011 for an inspiration of XI.5. from Records.

Pay off an Albion Vigil.

Tods Stuff fancy eating knife with shear steel- plus one of his maces.

That should be it. THis is actually a big year for me in the hobby department.
Victor R.

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Tue 28 Dec, 2010 11:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I spent the last year working on a late 14th kit; maybe a few soft-kit odds & ends to further flesh that out.

Do not yet have a bollock dagger, so I may remedy that.

I find myself the proud custodian of several offerings from Albion, but they are naked and look cold, so scabbards & suspensions are likely to be the main focus this year. Two of these are messer based weapons: Knecht & Soldat. So, if I get work done for these, there may be the addition of by-knives & prickers to accompany them.
Gabriele A. Pini

PostPosted: Tue 28 Dec, 2010 11:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm contemplating to acquire a cervelliera for my 12th century kit, to wear under the mail coif. The one I have is property of the company, and pretty ugly (including a rubber padding).

Alternately a chapel de fer (obliviously to wear over the the coif), but I have a pretty big head, and I have difficulty to find my size (and at the moment I don't have the income to purchase a custom piece)
Jean Thibodeau

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Tue 28 Dec, 2010 11:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

M. Livermore wrote:
Quote:
Oh, I guess it can count for 2011 even if purchased in 2010 and already in transit is the A&A custom Viking Axe I just bought from the Muster Page. A & A does make a lot of nice polearms and they do often come up with interesting new ones.

I was wondering who beat me to that. Congratulations, Jean, and thank you for forcing me to talk to the folks at A&A about having a very similar axe made but scaled proportionately to be mounted on a 5' pole. Hopefully this year I will become a proper pelekophoros.

Yes an upscaled one to a 5' pole would also be tempting ...... much too tempting if it appears in stock at some point. Wink

I like their regular Danish axe but the hardened and slanted edge appeals to me more and the extra cost would be worth it to me.

Glad that my buying inspired you to make a custom order. Wink Laughing Out Loud Cool

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Thomas R.

Reading list: 17 books

PostPosted: Tue 28 Dec, 2010 11:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'll take a dive into the 15th century, to be more specific: into the 1480s. Three armor parts are already ordered:

A german halfvisored sallet, a bevor and a pair of gauntlets. All three are based upon existing pieces. Perhaps a breastplate with tassets will follow in summertime.

Several handmade clothings will accopany my new kit as soon as I find the time to make them.

Regards,
Thomas

http://maerenundlobebaeren.tumblr.com/
Bennison N

PostPosted: Tue 28 Dec, 2010 1:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

2011 looks to be a great year for me!

I still have two years to wait for my Polish Sabre from Patrick Barta (by that I just mean my place is due to come up in line...) so stay tuned for "What's on your list for 2013?" for that one!

But I DO have a custom, very ancient historically based spearhead and buttcap in the late design stage from Fable Blades (a very cool design too, I might add) and a damn-near-every-single-edged-cutting-sword-known-to-man inspired "fantasy tactical" (for lack of a better way to describe it) heavy cutting Dao in the pretty much designed and ready to go into production stage from DJ at American Kami.

And any day now, maybe even today when I get home from work, my new "Bottleslasher" telescopic cutting stand will be arriving... Very exciting. These things are very cool and not so expensive... http://www.bottleslasher.com/ So it looks like it's time to retire my very aged homemade wooden stand, and to get my old Kat out for some exercise. She's been sitting so patiently on the rack for months, waiting for just something like this to happen... There are some local Hokushin ShinOh Ryu Iaido guys who want to start having cutting comps in my area (I've never tried one, on account of not really having practiced cutting that much), so I might use practising for that as an excuse to raid the neighbourhood recycling bins. Haha!

"Never give a sword to a man who can't dance" - Confucius

अजयखड्गधारी
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Tue 28 Dec, 2010 8:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Purchase or project completion in 2011

Sooner:
Breast/fauld from MT (due in a few weeks)
Sword inspired by paintings of Memling (ready to begin)
GDFB sallet project (in progress)

Later:
Bluing and turks' heads for A&A Town Guard
Rebuild/redesign for A&A Dürer
Austrian bastard sword ca. 1500
Single-hand sword ca. 1461
Early 15th c. falchion
Buckler
Morion-Cabasset

Dreams:
Mail standard
Jack or livery coat

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Chuck Russell

Reading list: 46 books

PostPosted: Tue 28 Dec, 2010 9:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

i hope to finish a few kits this year. clean up the loose ends as it were. heres to the 5th BC Greek, 3rd BC Etruscan, 1360 English man at arms, 1774 Militia, 1880 wild west, 1970s Navy Chief
Scott Hrouda

Reading list: 87 books

PostPosted: Tue 28 Dec, 2010 9:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chuck Russell wrote:
i hope to finish a few kits this year. clean up the loose ends as it were. heres to the 5th BC Greek, 3rd BC Etruscan, 1360 English man at arms, 1774 Militia, 1880 wild west, 1970s Navy Chief

Holy smokes Chuck! Eek! I have a hard enough time with a simple 1360 kit, how in the world do you do it all?

...and that, my liege, is how we know the Earth to be banana shaped. - Sir Bedevere
Ruel A. Macaraeg

PostPosted: Tue 28 Dec, 2010 11:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chuck Russell wrote:

Chuck,
I'm doing the same, one of which is also 1880s Wild West (gambler/gunslinger). Being in Texas, it's something I should've done sooner. I have the costume but need the pistols.

http://forensicfashion.com/1881WesternGambler.html

However, my first complete kit of 2011 will be something quite different -- Dalmatian stradiotti mercenary. I'll finally have something to wear my schiavona with, once my costume arrives in mid-January.

http://forensicfashion.com/1590StradiotCavalry.html

http://ForensicFashion.com/CostumeStudies.html
Michael B.
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 29 Dec, 2010 12:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Blackening my armour and replacing the leather and buckles, and getting my soft kit even more dialed into the turn of the 15th century. A dagger would be nice. I have a new late 15th century longsword in the works and and looking at finishing up my germanic baskethilt.
www.facebook.com/bearmountainforge2
Michael Bergstrom
J.D. Crawford

PostPosted: Wed 29 Dec, 2010 7:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The only thing for sure so far is the AA custom 'O' from the pay-it-forward contest. I've had a preliminary dicussion about commissioning something (likely late Viking Era) from a local swordsmith I have not tried before, but nothing firmed up yet.

PS - I plan to invest in some better display furniture. Last fall I discussed the basic design for vertical sword display with a local carpenter (he built some of our kitchen furniture and does wonderful work). If and when that comes about, I'll be sure to post a picture. This is a side of our hobby that tends to be undervalued.

Last edited by J.D. Crawford on Wed 29 Dec, 2010 1:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Wed 29 Dec, 2010 7:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

First, in the next few weeks, a viking type H brass plated hilt on a Hanwei Saxon blade and a scottish ribbon hilt in transition between early SW11 and later beak nosed construction on a Windlass blade, both by Alojz Krišto. Later in the year a dane axe, petersen type M, that I planned in 2010 but the project got delayed because Hanwei Saxon appeared... After that, who knows... Maybe some transitional viking/medieval hilt on a Hanwei Tinker Viking blade (brazil nut, cocked hat?), we'll see...
Robert Hinds

PostPosted: Wed 29 Dec, 2010 9:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

In 2011 I plan to finish up my first "real" kit, WotR era billman/glaiveman. That means:

- Gauntlets, probably armour and castings basic gothic.

-Pole weapon, probably a GDFB glaive.

- Rondel dagger #1 from Tod's stuff.

-End my obsession with shiny metal and buy a complete soft kit.

I might also make what I consider a "big purchase" and get either an A&A Knightly Poll axe or an Albion liechtenauer.

Might also (if finances permit) a 16th century militia kit. Probably just a soft kit +sword.

That's about it. Happy

"Young knight, learn to love God and revere women; thus your honor will grow. Practice knighthood and learn the Art that dignifies you, and brings you honor in wars." -Johannes Liechtenauer

"...And he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one..." Luke 22:36
Christian G. Cameron

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Wed 29 Dec, 2010 9:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Rondel Dagger from JT
Italian Pole axe from A+A
A set of Milanese legs from St George
A late 14th c. Italian helmet and a pair of spears, one for sparring, one sharp, from Manning Imperial
A Fiore longsword from Albion (not ordered yet)
A scabbard for Fiore longsword from Tod's Stuff (discussed but not yet ordered)
18th c. officer's saddle from Stuart Lilly (for mounted combat)

Wow. I think I need to go earn more money...

Christian G. Cameron

Qui plus fait, miex vault

www.hippeis.com
Jeremy V. Krause

PostPosted: Wed 29 Dec, 2010 11:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J.D. Crawford wrote:
The only thing for sure so far is the AA custom 'O' from the pay-it-forward contest. I've had a preliminary dicussion about commissioning something (likely late Viking Era) from a local swordsmith I have not tried before, but nothing firmed up yet.

Yes, I am looking forward to seeing how this turns out.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Thu 30 Dec, 2010 3:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm not sure what 2011 will hold. With my buying strategy and spotty income, it's often a crap-shoot to figure out what the next year will look like.

I know I'll get in two custom pieces commissioned in the second half of 2010, one from Tod's Stuff, one from A&A.

Beyond that, I'm not sure. I have a little money squirreled away (not enough for a really good sword). I'm pretty much out of room in my display stand, so one purchase might be a jigsaw and a little bit of lumber to add onto it. Any new weapons I buy will just compound the need to add on to the stand.

But I could use a nice baselard. Books are always an option, too. I want to make sure I have enough for Tobias Capwell's book on English 15th century armour if it comes out in 2011.

So I guess I don't know. Definitely a book or two. Maybe another small item or two, like a dagger or short polearm. Maybe a trip to the doctor if I hurt myself using the power tools to add on to my stand. Happy

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Chris Goerner

PostPosted: Thu 30 Dec, 2010 4:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have three projects slated for 2011:
* an "antiqued" dirk on order with Vince Evans that is on track to be completed in January
* an early style dirk from Tod that is expected around March.
* an 18th century style hunting sword I am making myself from parts and castings

Those are the only definite projects I have slated for 2011, but I am always on the look out for quality reproduction 18th century swords, pole arms and things of Scottish interest. In particular, I would love to upgrade my sporran.

Chris

Sic Semper Tyranus
S. Jansone

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Thu 06 Jan, 2011 1:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hmm, on my list definitely are some underarmour paddings- some experiment with nalbinding and chainmail from finds in Russia; then another experiment with mittens in nalbinding technique for use in combat...
Hope to finish them this summer...

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > What's On Your List For 2011?
Page 2 of 5 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: