Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > A&A Custom 'type O' Pommel WarSword Project Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 05 Mar, 2011 9:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

For whatever can be guaged from specs. those look really impressive.

I like the grip length- nice and short- This pommel seems as if it may be a nice ergonic feel. I'm trying to imagine how the convex underside of the pommel would play into this. Should be really interesting!

The POB is closer to the hilt than I would imagine so that's interesting as well.

A nice long blade length. .. . .

I guess I'm just saying that I would love to have this in hand!!

I haven't bought an A&A sword since 99. Maybe it's coming time to rectify this. . . . (Hmmmm)
Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Tue 08 Mar, 2011 7:08 pm    Post subject: Some pondering on this sword         Reply with quote

I have been meaning to post a few thoughts on this sword but life and stuff have been to full of late.

First off if anyone is waiting for info from me, I should be sending it soon. We have had a rough bought of everyone in the shop getting sick and such over the last couple of weeks and it has had a chaotic affect on our schedule and plans.

First of
Jeremy V. Krause wrote:
For whatever can be guaged from specs. those look really impressive.

I like the grip length- nice and short- This pommel seems as if it may be a nice ergonic feel. I'm trying to imagine how the convex underside of the pommel would play into this. Should be really interesting!

The POB is closer to the hilt than I would imagine so that's interesting as well.

A nice long blade length. .. . .

I guess I'm just saying that I would love to have this in hand!!

Even more so than you might think Jeremy, the pommel is quite interesting as though it is large and heavy it just plain disappears as a presence when you grip the sword. Not the weight or anything but your hand just misses it all the way around. It is a bit disconcerting when one is used to the feel of a pommel against the heel of your hand and suddenly it just not there.

Jeremy V. Krause wrote:
I haven't bought an A&A sword since 99. Maybe it's coming time to rectify this. . . . (Hmmmm)
We are always happy to hear from you Happy

The sword itself does have quiet a heft to it, this is by nature and design. in this case as Doug likes a certain feel to his swords and we have made enough of them for him that we can start to add that flavor when we do a blade. I am not sure if this would be close to the originals that are left (not much info on their dynamics) but I would guess they would be in the ballpark.

But as Doug and I talked about this project we wanted to follow a thread of design that we discussed. This did alter as we where able to find such good documentation and use that to alter the flow of the piece to a more accurate mirror of the original we where using as a model.

The details of the pommel especially where more interesting and nuanced than either of us probably planned at the beginning of the process. To be honest it was one of those things that if I was paying attention to the geld or the clock it would have been less but sometimes you just have o be true to the sword. Thats what's important in the long run.

The guard is a bit lighter and has a bit more taper towards the terminal ends as Doug liked the idea of a "spiked " guard. I did try to keep the dimensions of the central portion of the guard close to the original but this is more a factor of removing material than anything else. This is one aspect of this period that is often hard to grasp for new makers. The guards of these swords are often less wide than the grip. Many are very thin at the point where one would think they are thick.

Anyway, I am glad that many enjoyed seeing this sword take shape it was great fun to work on and was something that I hope Doug finds to his liking when it arrives on his end.

I also wanted to add my thanks to Marko Aleksić. His excellent research, article and book where why the sword turned out so well.

Best
Craig
J.D. Crawford

PostPosted: Fri 11 Mar, 2011 1:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I must say that as a customer, its pretty cool have input into what you want, but even more cool to be able to work with someone who understands what you like and can make improvisations based on that knowledge.

This makes me wonder how much that happened in medieval times? Long before phones and e-mail, you'd have to be pretty close to the site of manufacture to get that kind of treatment, or else have an efficient courier system. From what I have read, there was a continuum from importing complete swords, to importing blades to be finished by a local cutler, to having the whole sword made locally. One might imagine that the major nobility had their weapons built to their own specifications, the sergeant at arms had to buy what they could afford 'off the rack', and the lesser nobility fell somewhere in between.

By the way, I'm not sure where that parcel is right now, but I'm gonna start checking my mailbox tonight.
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Mon 14 Mar, 2011 7:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The following image was posted in another thread, and I thought it might be of interest:

http://daten.digitale-sammlungen.de/~db/bsb00...p;seite=34

The armour seems to be an example of 16th century parade armour from a book of the geneology of the city of Augsburg. Note the pommel on the sword.
J.D. Crawford

PostPosted: Mon 14 Mar, 2011 9:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Craig Peters wrote:
The following image was posted in another thread, and I thought it might be of interest:

http://daten.digitale-sammlungen.de/~db/bsb00...p;seite=34

The armour seems to be an example of 16th century parade armour from a book of the geneology of the city of Augsburg. Note the pommel on the sword.

Thanks Craig, that appears to be a very late representation of this pommel type.

Also note the crested helmet as in this thread: http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=11068

Would such parade armor normally denote equipment from an earlier period of history?
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Mon 14 Mar, 2011 12:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

In the case of the swords and things, it's my general impression from looking at the book that Mair's illustrator wanted to include weapons that tended to be "exotic" looking or ornate. You'll notice there's an unusually high number of curved blades represented in the book, and while messers and their relatives were certainly common in the Holy Roman Empire, curved swords appear to be comparatively over-represented. In my view, the pommel (not to mention the rather exotic guard on the sword) are more likely to be exotic curiousities for illustrative purposes than a deliberate carry-over of past styles.

I see the crested helms as a forerunner of the helms that we invariably see on modern heraldic emblems. Among other things, the crests on top provide a decorative means to represent the colours (sorry for my non-heraldic terminology) found in the arms of the individual represented. In other words, I see these crested helms as being used for stylistic, heraldic purposes, rather than being indicative of equipment worn in mid 16th century displays. I should also mention that quite a few of the illustrations seem to show partially fanciful suits of armour; I'm not sure how many of the pieces found in the manuscript actually existed in the real world. To me, these illustrations do not necessarily seem to be representative illustrations of 16th century parade armour. However, I have very little knowledge about this subject, so take my opinions with a grain of salt.
J.D. Crawford

PostPosted: Sat 26 Mar, 2011 11:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

So, I found a crescent-pommel replica for sale on this German web-site. So we're evidently not quite the first (darn). However, the A&A sword is in a completely different league.... http://www.rheinischeruestkammer.de/shop/arti..._klein.jpg

Also, here are a couple of original Polish type N pommel swords (to translate, copy the URL into ‘google translate’)
http://www.muzeumwp.pl/emwpaedia/miecz-z-xii-...skiego.php
http://www.pomorska.pl/apps/pbcs.dll/article?.../467897536
The second article is mainly about a truly outstanding, long-bladed B-pommel sword (a type N with broken blade shows up later in the youtube video)

By the way, the A&A sword has been stuck in customs for the last 10 days...grrrr!
Tim Lison

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Sat 26 Mar, 2011 11:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about the customs delay! You have got to be excited to get this sword. Thanks for the polish web links. I really like that type S viking sword on there...
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Sat 26 Mar, 2011 3:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The waiting will only make it's arrival all the more sweet! Wink Happy
J.D. Crawford

PostPosted: Thu 31 Mar, 2011 1:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks guys for the pep-talk - the 'object' has now arived in good shape after a two week holdover with Canadian Customs (that's a new record - hopefully not a new trend).

However, Nathan Robinson has requested that I put my review on a separate thread. So hang on a few days, and after I give it a good polish, take some pictures, and get the feel of it, the review will be forthcoming.

On a somewhat related note, I just recieved a book called 'The Teutonic Knights: a Military History". Looking forward to reading this book and learning more about their history. If it provides any insights about their weaponry, I will post those too.

Regards, JD
J.D. Crawford

PostPosted: Sat 16 Apr, 2011 12:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here's another picture from a Christie's lot - see the sword on the left. It appears to be intermediate between N and O pommel type -probably still N- and has a shorter blade, but otherwise quite similar to the project sword here. -JD

Attachment: 29.8 KB
d1633257x.jpg

Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Sat 16 Apr, 2011 12:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Interesting one. Btw, did you notice that kind of pommel is more popular on daggers than on swords? I got that impression looking at the various images...
J.D. Crawford

PostPosted: Sun 09 Oct, 2011 12:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

By the way, the journal article used for this project is now available on-line:

http://independent.academia.edu/MarkoAleksic/..._of_Type_N

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > A&A Custom 'type O' Pommel WarSword Project
Page 7 of 7 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: