Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Dawn Treader disapointment? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Michael G.

PostPosted: Wed 15 Dec, 2010 9:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeremy V. Krause wrote:

Eol's sword Gurthang could freaking talk! Also awesome!!

Of course the whole episode with Gurthang talking to Turin was lifted from the story of Kullervo in the Kalevala.
Connor Ruebusch

PostPosted: Wed 15 Dec, 2010 10:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think it's worth saying that having realistic weapons in a fantasy setting is a valuable thing. Any fantasy setting may have traits that are ridiculous in comparison to our world, but those traits must operate on their own special sort of logic. Having a fantasy world in which literally anything is possible is just boring. If there's magic, it should have a system and, yes, limitations. Talking animals are all well and good, but wouldn't a scene of the character having a conversation with a dog be even better if he/she was fastidiously trying to take a notch out of his/her sword?

Like Ryan said: swords that don't rust are kind of boring in most circumstances. The fantasy world has got to be real in it's own way, you know.

And now I think my geekiness is showing. Laughing Out Loud Wasn't trying to pick a fight with you Patrick, by the way! Just got my brain going, and I often have a difficult time stopping its inertia. Heheh.

Ex animo,

Connor
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 15 Dec, 2010 10:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael G. wrote:
Jeremy V. Krause wrote:

Eol's sword Gurthang could freaking talk! Also awesome!!

Of course the whole episode with Gurthang talking to Turin was lifted from the story of Kullervo in the Kalevala.

That's right Michael!!

You got me. That's what I get for not checking. I get the those iconic tragic fellows confused. . .

Oh, and IMO a geek-out thread beats many threads that come up with LONG histories of folks pondering wild historical weapon factors and uses. If the thread is wacky then let it be WACKY! Laughing Out Loud

BTW I don't read modern fantasy. I became spoiled on Tolkien. I don't have time for the rest of it.

I read the Dragonlance Chronicles at 14 because I wanted the magic of LOTR to continue for me and well. . . these books came up a little bit short. . . just a little. . . Wink
David Clark

PostPosted: Wed 15 Dec, 2010 11:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Get ye some Steven Erikson! The "Malazan Book of the Fallen" series is incredible. He is a master story teller to the utmost degree.
Quinn W.

PostPosted: Wed 15 Dec, 2010 11:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I also personally prefer realism in fantasy, as, to quote the Disney/Pixar "Incredibles" movie, "When everyone's super... no one is." Limitations make said super-weapons all the more impressive. If massive baddies just drop out of the sky left and right, it eventually gets to the point where you're thinking "Another 200 foot dragon? Well, here we go again, I guess."
Personally, I like to look at things on what I call a clockwork principle. If you were to set up this world and then let it go completely on its own, how long would it last before everything completely fell apart? I think a world where everybody and their grandmothers can shoot fireballs would be complete chaos.
Which is precisely why I can have a discussion about swords that don't rust while there are talking mice about. I am totally fine if that world runs under a completely different set of rules than ours does, as long as there is indeed a set of rules. I only have trouble suspending disbelief when I start to feel that the writer/director is just tossing in new exciting magical things because they feel like adding some more pizazz to their story, and not because it actually makes sense in the context of that world.

"Some say that the age of chivalry is past, that the spirit of romance is dead. The age of chivalry is never past, so long as there is a wrong left unredressed on earth"
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Wed 15 Dec, 2010 2:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well I saw the film and liked the film on it's own merits and since I never read the books I'm not suffering from the " They added WHAT ! And they didn't mention some other WHAT that is actually essential to the story ".

Maybe I'll go and read the books and start fresh trying to not even consider the films and enjoy the books for the kind of subtleties that don't translate well in movie form and even more when the Director decide that they have better ideas than what is in the Classic they are supposedly reproducing in film !

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Connor Ruebusch

PostPosted: Wed 15 Dec, 2010 3:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quinn W. wrote:
I also personally prefer realism in fantasy, as, to quote the Disney/Pixar "Incredibles" movie, "When everyone's super... no one is." Limitations make said super-weapons all the more impressive. If massive baddies just drop out of the sky left and right, it eventually gets to the point where you're thinking "Another 200 foot dragon? Well, here we go again, I guess."
Personally, I like to look at things on what I call a clockwork principle. If you were to set up this world and then let it go completely on its own, how long would it last before everything completely fell apart? I think a world where everybody and their grandmothers can shoot fireballs would be complete chaos.
Which is precisely why I can have a discussion about swords that don't rust while there are talking mice about. I am totally fine if that world runs under a completely different set of rules than ours does, as long as there is indeed a set of rules. I only have trouble suspending disbelief when I start to feel that the writer/director is just tossing in new exciting magical things because they feel like adding some more pizazz to their story, and not because it actually makes sense in the context of that world.

Well said. There has to be that internal logic. I've heard people justify bad, senseless fight choreography in movies by saying "it's a fantasy movie, so what does it matter?" But really, the fact that it's a fantasy movie makes it matter even more! If the creator wants us to suspend disbelief, then they really have to sell the premise to us, and if too much stuff is unbelievable--if the world the fiction creates wouldn't work according to a set system of logic, then the story has failed.

A fantasy without logic is just a fairy-tale, and not a particularly good one at that.

Ex animo,

Connor
J.D. Crawford

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 15 Dec, 2010 4:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

OK, enough beating around the bush, I'm just going to say what everyone is really thinking:

If Aslan and Gandalf got into a fight, who would win?

Who is - the deadliest warrior?
David Wilson

PostPosted: Wed 15 Dec, 2010 5:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J.D. Crawford wrote:
OK, enough beating around the bush, I'm just going to say what everyone is really thinking:

Who is - the deadliest warrior?

Oh dear lord no.

That there is just plain wrong.

Eek!

Razz

David K. Wilson, Jr.
Laird of Glencoe

Now available on Amazon: Franklin Posner's "Suburban Vampire: A Tale of the Human Condition -- With Vampires" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072N7Y591
Ryan J. Kadwell

PostPosted: Wed 15 Dec, 2010 6:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J.D. Crawford wrote:

Anyone who gets to watch.

Anyone.

Geoffrey: You fool! As if it matters how a man falls down!

Richard: When the fall’s all that’s left, it matters a great deal.
Connor Ruebusch

PostPosted: Wed 15 Dec, 2010 6:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hahahaha! Laughing Out Loud

But seriously. Gandalf.

Ex animo,

Connor
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 16 Dec, 2010 12:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
And now I think my geekiness is showing. Wasn't trying to pick a fight with you Patrick, by the way! Just got my brain going, and I often have a difficult time stopping its inertia. Heheh.

No worries here. I'm a lover of fantasy and science fiction, but I don't try to over analyze and attach too much logic to the subject. When Caspian gave Edwin the encrusted sword I did lean over to my wife and comment, "Don't tell me he's going to beat that on a rock, like Conan." Big Grin

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Connor Ruebusch

PostPosted: Thu 16 Dec, 2010 10:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
Quote:
And now I think my geekiness is showing. Wasn't trying to pick a fight with you Patrick, by the way! Just got my brain going, and I often have a difficult time stopping its inertia. Heheh.

No worries here. I'm a lover of fantasy and science fiction, but I don't try to over analyze and attach too much logic to the subject. When Caspian gave Edwin the encrusted sword I did lean over to my wife and comment, "Don't tell me he's going to beat that on a rock, like Conan." Big Grin

I laugh everytime I see that in Conan. Laughing Out Loud The only thing funnier are the noises Arnold makes when he first tumbles in to the tomb. It's hard to keep the bitter, cold image of the Cimmerian up with that goofy accent.

Ex animo,

Connor

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Dawn Treader disapointment?
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: