Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Requesting Feedback: My Pastel of The Feral Knight Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Michele Hansen

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Wed 11 Jan, 2012 5:07 pm    Post subject: Thanks for the latest feedbacks on my finished Feral Knight         Reply with quote

Brian Robson wrote:
My only comment from an accuracy perspective is that I don't think plumes/mantles etc. were used on helms for that period. I don't think they started to come into play until around 1300.

Basing the helm off the Dargen helm (as in your 2nd pic) was a good call for 1280.

<Edit> Just noticed the hand. Mail Mittens please!

First: Yeah, I knew I would get a comment or two about using leather gloves rather than mail mittens... Wink

It was a compositional decision. The leather-wrapped shield is also inaccurate, alas. I admit to the historical flaws; however, my goal was to create a work of art rather than a representative historical model. I put a lot of flourish into the piece.

I have read that the use of veiling and disc crests, albeit with less feathers were used in the 13th C. In the 14th C. the disc crest was often replaced by sculptures in the round, and dagged veiling. In my conversations concerning crests, and veiling, I assumed that crests were reserved to tournaments. Some of my friends here made a good point. A rich knight, especially a baron, and above, was likely to wear crests and veils into battle to show the enemy that he was worth ransoming, rather than killing outright. LOL! Whatever it takes to stay alive, I suppose.

As for the helm. Yeah! I really dig that Dargen model. Glad you like it! Your feedback is much appreciated, Mr. Robson.

Now that you mentioned accuracy...Perhaps I should do a few truly representative illustrations for this site that are accurate to the point of anal obsessiveness. They would not only challenge me, but improve my own knowledge of arms and armaments. Thanks for the idea! Big Grin

Sam Gordon Campbell wrote:

I liked it before...
And now I like it even more!

The plumage I think follows the Rule of Cool, and hey, maybe the maille mufflers/mittens are there, but just out of shot.
Besides, hands are are to draw well at the best of times, so why not show 'em off!

Glad you like the plumage, Mr. Campbell. Your complement concerning the "Rule of Cool" is delightful. I'm so glad you liked that element.

As for the gloves? Nope! As I stated above to Mr. Robson, this guy is actually wearing a pair of leather gloves. No mufflers. I appreciate that you like my rendering of his hand. Another confession: I'm still trying to wrap my head around an accurate, and not so deep, dark fuller on the blade. Representing that lenticular profile and blade tip for the Type XII is also causing me more than a little frustration.

On a final note: I feel the best improvement concerning this piece as a work of art, is that his head is turned forward rather than to the side as in my first sketch. This guy emits a much more confident, and dangerously focused mein.

Il est apelée de Montfort. Il est el Mond, et si est fort. Si ad grant chevalrie; Je vois et je m’ acort. Il eime le droit, et het le tort. Si avera le mestrie!

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Requesting Feedback: My Pastel of The Feral Knight
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: