Mercenary Tailor's Sallets review.
Just received my Fixed Neck Sallet ordered earlier in the year and I'm very pleased with it.

I like it just as much and the Articulated neck Sallet I bought a few years back: Both types work very well with the visor locked down and the Sallets can be worn tilted back so as to see below the visor and one can tilt one's head forward to protect the face and use the ocular to still see what one's opponent is doing: This might also explain why one also sees Sallets with fixed visors and ocular in use and popular as an option.

The neck protection is great with both and with the articulated neck section the articulations can permit the Sallet to be tilted a bit more or if one look very high up the articulation can be useful to a degree but the fixed neck version seems just about as useful: The differences are slight in use but the aesthetics of each are appealing which is why I now have both versions.

One can alternately choose to lift the visor and wear the Sallet more level rather than tilted and this also works well.

Wearability and comfort is great with these Sallets compared to many other types of helms that I find much more top heavy and a neck strain if worn for hours ..... if for no other reason, if I really had to wear a helm to fight with, the Sallet type helms are very practical and one can see why they became popular.

The lining inside Allan's helms seem to me to give a very secure fit on the head and are super comfortable to wear for extended periods of time.

The visor style is different from what is seen on the very old Merc Tailor's wed site pics and is not the slanted ocular shown but rather closer to the more generally seem rectangular opening with a raised lip. ( Not sure if this is now currently the standard model for these helms or an option but it matches the visor type I custom ordered for my Articulated Neck Sallet I purchased a few years back ..... I assume that if someone prefers the old pattern they could order it from Allan but the new pattern looks better to me, but to be sure please ask Allan as I don't want to give out erroneous information here ).

Well, this is a short product review and if you are looking for a very functional Sallet it should give you some idea of what to expect. ;) :D :cool: ( Oh, the good customer service was first class as usual. :) :cool: ).

Note: On this other Topic thread I have posted some pics of the Articulated Neck Version showing the " current " visor:
http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=21693

Here is the old one from the MT Web site for comparison:
http://www.merctailor.com/catalog/product_inf...cts_id=133
http://www.merctailor.com/catalog/product_inf...ucts_id=58

Last edited by Jean Thibodeau on Sat 11 Dec, 2010 9:42 pm; edited 2 times in total
Good evening Jean,

Can we see pictures of your new toy please? ;)
Scott Hrouda wrote:
Good evening Jean,

Can we see pictures of your new toy please? ;)

Well, the pics linked from the other thread are not of the new toy but it does give a good idea of what the new one's visor looks like based on my other helm. ( Still no camera. :blush: :( ).
Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Still no camera. :blush: :(

That's just fine, you have your priorities set correctly:
Armour
Weapons
Food
Camera ;)

Will you be using the sallet for steel or waster sparing? I'd be interested to hear your thoughts after some free play bouts.

Cheers,
-Scott
Scott Hrouda wrote:
Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Still no camera. :blush: :(

That's just fine, you have your priorities set correctly:
Armour
Weapons
Food
Camera ;)

Will you be using the sallet for steel or waster sparing? I'd be interested to hear your thoughts after some free play bouts.

Cheers,
-Scott

Well I mostly just collect the armour pieces + costume use and the only thing I have actually used is the 14th century steel Gorget when training as the throath is probably the only place even light blunt contact could kill you and the bib on my fencing mask might not be adequate protection or a blunt might slip under the bottom of the bib.

http://www.merctailor.com/catalog/product_inf...ucts_id=49

If I join a group that does armoured sparring I would certainly put a lot more of my Mercenary Tailor's armour to actual use.

Oh, as a side note my Longsword training group officially disbanded so I'm currently lacking in training partners and a place to train. :cry: :( The public park we can train in doesn't really work in Winter as it gets to dark early, not to mention a couple of feet of snow ! Might be able to occasionally train in the Spring and Summer as I have maintained contact with the trainers and some other students but I have to look up another group early in the new Year to see if their training style would be something I would enjoy or be able to learn from.

I also got to train in Ottawa when Craig Shackleton was gracious enough to invite me to a 1:33 seminar in mid November. :) :cool:

I'm sort of " bummed out " about not being able to train 6 hours a week. :(

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: