Go to page 1, 2  Next

Surviving a fire
On Monday early morning, 5am to be accurate, an arson took place at the street we were located. The market stalls were burnt within a couple minutes and It became a huge fire. We got up from our sleep and took run. My wife took some firsthanded pictures of the tragedy. The fire lasted for 5 hours before being extinguished. Many stalls and shops were destroyed. Our building's entrance were burnt as well.

[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
Glad you guys are okay!
I am very glad to hear that you and your family are safe. :eek:

If they catch the arsonist, I think part of his restitution should include working as your pell for a few months.
Thanks everybody for the blessings! We got out ok! Just have plenty dust to clean afterwards and a harsh living environment suddenly. Not to mention that our rent is going up almost 30% starting next month. Man..... that's not a nice way to end a year.
Lancelot,

I'm very glad you and yours are OK.
Glad that you and your family are safe and your place didn't go up in flames.

Always good to appreciate how things could have been much worse.

The rent increase was that already something expected or related to the fire ? ( My guess is not related but a 30% increase is really high ! )
Hi Lance,

I'm sorry to hear about that ... seeing those photos was quite a shock - I fondly remember the view from your rooftop as being so colourful, vibrant, and full of people!

Like the others here, I'm glad to hear you and your wife are okay. Good luck for the clean-up, buddy!

Mark T
Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Glad that you and your family are safe and your place didn't go up in flames.

Always good to appreciate how things could have been much worse.

The rent increase was that already something expected or related to the fire ? ( My guess is not related but a 30% increase is really high ! )

The rent increase wasn't related to the fire but the landlord refused to lower it any bit to help in such situation. :S
WOW that must have been scary and exciting. Glad to hear you and your family are well.
rent increase and speculation
Lance , if all the rent in the block was going up , the arson may have been the result of anger and protest. some may have been being forced out???????? Glad your family is safe, but stay alert
Glad you are safe. Do they know if it was an electric fire or a man made fire yet?
David Clark wrote:
Glad you are safe. Do they know if it was an electric fire or a man made fire yet?

Man made. The arsonist was caught.
Lancelot Chan wrote:
David Clark wrote:

Man made. The arsonist was caught.

Well caught is better than unknown and free to do it again. :eek:

Common variety pyromaniac or someone with a specific motive or grudge ? Maybe at this time you wouldn't know but if you do I'm curious.

Well, again I hope the clean up isn't too much of a problem or expense and I had a small leaky roof issue this Summer with some interior damage to the house, minimal damage, but I can relate that these things are disturbing as they shake up you sense of safety and comfort in your home for a while and there is a certain boost of adrenaline that it take a while to calm down and not worry about what else could go wrong !

Best wishes to getting this behind you, but sorry about that large rent increase as it does sound rather excessive. :eek: :evil:
Almost 1 year after the last fire accident, today we just escaped another one, an EVEN MORE SERIOUS ONE! This one killed 9, injured over 30.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxS6KghBXFE&sns=fb
You can see me and my wife Annie at 1:56 of the video.
Lancelot:

Sorry to see that I even have the opportunity to make a new post on this Topic with another even worse or scarier fire.
So did you just have to evacuate your building because it was close to the fire or was it your building ?

Any smoke damage or .... water damage that can be even worse than smoke damage?

In any case very scary I'm sure and something you could have been happy to not live through again.

Hope you can get your life back to normal soon and my very best wishes for happier times. ( At the very least being in the same situation twice is very stressful and some Post Traumatic Stress and hyper vigilance is a real risk for you or your wife ).

Jean
One word, Man,

MOVE!!!!!

Glad you're OK, must have frightening as Hell!

Ken
Our building is fine, just barely smoked. Not as damaged as last year's fire. However, my wife shows more and more post traumatic stress and hyper vigilance problems.

Both cases were arson. The arsonist of this case hasn't been identified and caught yet.
Is arson a big thing where you are? Would moving help?

In any event I hope this is the last you see of this sort of thing, whether you move or not. I can't really relate to that kind of stress, my one experience with fire that comes to mind was my fault and didn't endanger anybody, so I can't do anything more than wish you and yours the best. I much prefer to see your face in a test cutting video than in the news like this.
We can't move because of my unique profession. It is EXTREMELY difficult to find someplace that fulfill the following needs: 1. transportation is good for students to come over; 2. geographically close to the materials stores for building RSW; 3. geographically close to post office for sending RSW out; 4. have a rooftop for live blade as well as sparring practice during lessons.

We had tried to locate alternative locations before due to the high increase in rent (28%). We failed to do so twice. Sigh.

Thanks everybody for your comforting words.
Lancelot Chan wrote:
However, my wife shows more and more post traumatic stress and hyper vigilance problems.

Don't know the best thing to do about this but I do think you have to take it seriously and get some sort of help and counselling if possible.

Just talking can help to a degree.

Taking medication can be a short term fix/risk but has it's down sides as the medications themselves can become addictive or cause longterm problems. ( Not sleeping, worrying 24/7, escape though excessive sleep or insomnia, drinking too much are all symptoms and to a degree normal reactions similar to grieving a loss .... in this case a loss of peace of mind ).

You certainly can't tell her that her fears are not based on " reality " i.e. not delusional as the danger(s) is real enough and this is where the hyper vigilance comes from: It's like being in permanent stage of high adrenaline being at all times ready to run or fight .... if it lasts too long it does burn you out and bad for one's general health.

Learning to let go and not have obsessive thoughts about it can help, but short term letting it out may be better than bottling it in.

Hope this helps or at least gives you ideas what to look at that might help. ( Googling PTSD might help ?
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/post-traumat...er/DS00246 )
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Page 1 of 2

Jump to: