Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > myArmoury.com Features Talk > New site feature: Printer-friendly articles Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 26 Aug, 2004 12:21 pm    Post subject: New site feature: Printer-friendly articles         Reply with quote

I'm always trying to improve this site, adding educational and entertaining content, research materials, and improving usability. I recently got some good feedback from a few members about the site. They each mentioned that they enjoy reading the articles presented here, but would like to have a more attractive method of printing a hardcopy for later reference or for reading at the office, on the train, or whatever.

It never occurred to me to do that, as I very rarely print Web pages myself. But hey, it sounded like a good idea to me so I've added a new feature at the bottom of many pages of the site.

You now have the ability to open an article formatted in a printer-friendly fashion. This version removes all the navigational headers off the top of the page, changes the background to white, and generally has an improved format on the printed page. Nothing complex is going on here in terms of re-formatting. Not all articles will look absolutely perfect when printed on the page, but simply having the ability to have a hard-copy without the Web headers and navigation is hopefully golden to some of you.

To use this feature, look for the text, "Open a printer-friendly version of this page" at the extreme bottom of an article's page.

When printing any Web page, not just the ones here on our site, you may have to adjust the scaling in your page setup dialog box to get the page to fit on the paper. Some browses will do this automatically and offer a "Shrink to Fit Page Width" option. If your browser does not have this feature, you'll likely do well at 80-90%.

Hopefully this will prove useful for printing out our Featured Articles and Hands-on Reviews.

Here's some examples of printer-friendly versions of some pieces:

Variety and Evolution of the Hilt
The Winged Hussars of Poland
English Swords 1600-1650
The Albion Mark Tritonia Sword
Arms & Armor German Bastard Sword

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Mike Fletcher

PostPosted: Thu 26 Aug, 2004 3:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is excellent news! Thank you very much Nathan. I printed some articles to take with me on a camping trip (hey, no computer access would mean sword withdrawal Worried ) The hardcopy was difficult to read as a couple of words at the end of each line was cut off.

Thanks for your continued efforts to make myArmoury.com the best arms and armour resource on the 'net.

Regards,

Mike
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 26 Aug, 2004 3:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mike Fletcher wrote:
The hardcopy was difficult to read as a couple of words at the end of each line was cut off.

Printing any Web page is an annoying process. In your page setup for your browser, you can tell it to scale the page to better fit the printed page. On many browsers, this is automatic and you can say "Shrink to Page Width" without any thought. Otherwise you get to have fun entering 95%, 90%, 85%, etc. until it fits. This is true for any Web site, of course, and not just myArmoury.com and is also defined by what type of printer you have and the print driver you are using. (Aren't computers fun?)

Quote:
Thanks for your continued efforts to make myArmoury.com the best arms and armour resource on the 'net.

Thank you so much for saying that.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
William Goodwin

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Thu 26 Aug, 2004 6:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yes, Thank you so much Nathan for this added feature, I too have had the same trouble with a few of the articles.

The English Swords 1600-1650 is a great additon to my Mortuary data gathering research files. And yes, your continued hard work and commitment to this site is of great and much appreiciated worth to us all.

Three cheers for Nathan and myArmoury....HIP, HIP...Huzzah....HIP,HIP....Huzzah...HIP,HIP, ....Huzzah...
sorry dude, couldn't resist Laughing Out Loud

Bill
aka William
Allen Johnson

Reading list: 29 books

PostPosted: Thu 26 Aug, 2004 10:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I too am very glad to hear this! Thanks for the extra effort and for the site in general. I am constantly referring people to it. Only website I actually pay for !!! Happy

Forum Index > myArmoury.com Features Talk > New site feature: Printer-friendly articles
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic