Book Spanish circle/magic circle fencing technique?
Digging into the Spanish (colonial) histrory and wanting to own a spanish sword, I think it would be good to know something about Spanish swordplay of the period. I also heared (here?) about the spanish circle that involves a special technique of foodwork and posisions.

So my question is, is there a book that deals with this Spanish circle/magic circle fencing technique?
That I could buy and read?

thanks Folkert
Re: Book Spanish circle/magic circle fencing technique?
Folkert van Wijk wrote:
Digging into the Spanish (colonial) histrory and wanting to own a spanish sword, I think it would be good to know something about Spanish swordplay of the period. I also heared (here?) about the spanish circle that involves a special technique of foodwork and posisions.

So my question is, is there a book that deals with this Spanish circle/magic circle fencing technique?
That I could buy and read?

thanks Folkert

Well...

It is uncertain how much of the La Verdadera Destreza, the upper class true art, was used by the common soldier, at least until later 1600 or so. Before that, and in parallel you would have the Esgrima Antigua or Esgrima Comun, old or common fencing. Also, the mystical aspect may be overplayed, except perhaps in one instance, below.

But as to LVD (for short), there is really no work not in Spanish, or Portuguese, that is orthodox. There is one work, not orthodox, that has been translated into English (it was in French) which is Thibault's Academe d'Espee - translated by Michael Greer, available from Chivalry Bookshelf (Academy of the Sword, The Mystery of the Spanish Circle in Swordsmanship & Esoteric Arts, Girard Thibault d'Anvers, Trans. by John Michael Greer, ISBN: 1-891448-40-4 http://www.chivalrybookshelf.com/). The translator is also involved in mystical studies, and has included some interpretation that way. This is closest to your inquiry.

Puck Curtis has some material up from Ettenhard, on his blog, and there is a video from M. Martinez. Puck will have a large monograph on the Spanish school in "In Service Of Mars" coming out soon.

There is nothing on Esgrima Comun or Antigua, really, other than the two handed sword material that Eric Myers and I did.

Steve
Re: Book Spanish circle/magic circle fencing technique?
Beat to the punch...

Note Thibault was Dutch, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G%C3%A9rard_Thibault_d%27Anvers . I believe one of the claims of his book is that you can learn his system with just his book. I understand it is not that easy

mackenzie
Thanks guys! Very intriquing info!

That's another book for on my list!
Here's are some interresting webpages on the subject to get a feel for what it's all about...

http://sjaqua.tripod.com/spanishc.htm

http://www.martinez-destreza.com/articles/spanish1.htm

Cheers!
You can find scans of the whole of Thibault's book by following the links in this thread. It is actually one of my favourite treatises :) I did a write-up about some of the basic principles here, but the work is a lot richer than what I described...

Puck & Mary Curtis have put some good articles online in addition to the ongoing Ettenhard translation.

Regards,
Does any one have an opinion on Greer's translation?
Is it a good tool to work with for a unilingual North America?
mackenzie
Vincent Le Chevalier wrote:
You can find scans of the whole of Thibault's book by following the links in this thread. It is actually one of my favourite treatises :) I did a write-up about some of the basic principles here, but the work is a lot richer than what I described...

Puck & Mary Curtis have put some good articles online in addition to the ongoing Ettenhard translation.

Regards,

Thanks!! This is a lot of cool info and stuff, and uh....

... I think... ...I do feel an obsesion comming up... LOL
Hallo Folkert

Thibault is a fantastically complex and interesting source, with a huge and daunting focus on details. Do read it.

Other than that, I think there is a manuscript somewhere in Belgium, or in the Koninklijke Bibliotheek that Matt Galas has talked about on a few occasions. that seems to describe the older style of fencing, and it written (in Belgium) by a Spaniard.

You might also be interested in this:

www.bruchius.com

If you have further questions, feel free to contact me.

Cheers,

Reinier
Reinier van Noort wrote:
Hallo Folkert

Thibault is a fantastically complex and interesting source, with a huge and daunting focus on details. Do read it.

Other than that, I think there is a manuscript somewhere in Belgium, or in the Koninklijke Bibliotheek that Matt Galas has talked about on a few occasions. that seems to describe the older style of fencing, and it written (in Belgium) by a Spaniard.

You might also be interested in this:

www.bruchius.com

If you have further questions, feel free to contact me.

Cheers,

Reinier

http://www.swordforum.com/forums/showthread.p...light=1625

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: