Personalized German Bastard Sword
Earlier this year, Nathan Robinson posted a review of his fantastic Custom A&A German Bastard Sword.

Arms & Armor recently had a different 'Personalized German Bastard' for sale. It was only up on their site for a few days, and then disappeared - so now, like the original, it resides in some unknown private collection somewhere in the world ...

I downloaded the photos at the time and am posting them here as an example of their fine custom work, but also to show the comparison to the original.

From what I can gather, we only have two (or maybe three) images available of that original, as Craig Johnson noted in the German Bastard Sword original info sought thread, which contains those images. Here's a comparison of Arms & Armor's standard German Bastard Sword with the original that inspired it:

[ Linked Image ]

A&A's description of the recent custom version was:

Arms & Armor wrote:
Personalized German Bastard

Here is a German Bastard sword that has some personalized details. The blade is tapered a bit more than the stock sword. The grip is custom made with a riser pattern in diamonds under a mottled brown leather grip. This is highlighted with two styles of bronze tacks in the field of the pattern, creating a striking looking weapon.

The guard and pommel were detailed very carefully and all components were fit with special care. The handling and dynamics were done to the preference of the owner and it is a sword designed for power and handling. This sword is a unique example of the German Bastard Sword and would be a great addition to any collection.

Overall Length: 48.5"; Blade L: 37.75"; Blade W: 2"; Grip L: 8"; Balance Point: 2.8".

And here are the images of the 'Personalized German Bastard' for your edification, education, and salivation!

Attachment: 55.7 KB
German Bastard hilt.jpg

Attachment: 59.1 KB
German Bastard hilt 2.jpg

Attachment: 44.6 KB
German-Bastard-1-226x750.gif

I am glad someone bought it because it saved me the temptation. I realize I have a really awesome version of the sword and I'm not getting rid of it, but I did think I also might need to have this other version too! that would be so decadent of course, but that grip treatment is so stunning that it had me thinking about it.

For contrast and to keep it in this same topic, here is a photo of my customized version:

[ Linked Image ]

Click photo for additional photos and information
I too saw it when it was first listed, only thing that saved me was the fact I had no money, off pay week, but was so close to putting it on the plastic. still I'm sure they could do something similar in the future maybe on a flamberge blade.
Suw-weet! They're both terrific for different reasons. I like the multiple fullers on Nathan's version, but the studded handle on this one is equally cool. You the man, Craig (or you the men, Craig et al.).

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: