Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Contest -- Name That Sword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 
Jeremiah Swanger

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Mon 25 Oct, 2004 10:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter Johnsson wrote:

Well there is that, of course...Happy
You know, if all of the proposed designs IŽve developed for Albion to this date would be put into production there would be at least some 50 different models in production right now....
A nightmare situation?!?!?
I know what Eric, Jason & Co would say... Eek! ... Wink Big Grin

It might be possible that the Ritter's sales might pic up once the "Crusader" 1st Gen model is phazed out. I hope it doesn't get discontinued before I can buy one...

As for the name "Teuton" a little bird once told me, Peter, that you had a design in mind for a type XIII-- not XIIIa or XIIIb, but just XIII. As in the 6" or so grip with a meaty blade not much longer than most singlehanders. Beautiful cavalry weapon. Lloyd Clark would probably love it. Would it be too far out of period context to call IT the "Teuton"?

"Rhaegar fought nobly.
Rhaegar fought valiantly.
Rhaegar fought honorably.
And Rhaegar died."

- G.R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Mon 25 Oct, 2004 2:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeremiah Swanger wrote:
Peter Johnsson wrote:

You know, if all of the proposed designs IŽve developed for Albion to this date would be put into production there would be at least some 50 different models in production right now....

It might be possible that the Ritter's sales might pic up once the "Crusader" 1st Gen model is phazed out. I hope it doesn't get discontinued before I can buy one...

As for the name "Teuton" a little bird once told me, Peter, that you had a design in mind for a type XIII-- not XIIIa or XIIIb, but just XIII. As in the 6" or so grip with a meaty blade not much longer than most singlehanders. Beautiful cavalry weapon. Lloyd Clark would probably love it. Would it be too far out of period context to call IT the "Teuton"?

That might be an idea...
I know Jason is also very keen for one of these. We have been talking about it for quite some time.
hmm.... Happy
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 25 Oct, 2004 2:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alina Boyden wrote:
Peter Johnsson wrote:
Alina Boyden wrote:
Peter Johnsson wrote:
Jeremiah Swanger wrote:
]

Well, I don't think anyone would get too upset if you bought a Ritter and renamed it "The Teuton". Wink

I think that is a splendid idea. We were contemplating calling the Ritter just that: the Teuton. Finally the name Ritter won by a small margin.
If you are interested in a type of sword that could have been used by these wariors, the Ritter is a very good chioce. It is one of the sleepers in the line.
It is much more agile and responsive than you might think from seeing the photos and reading the stats...

Well that's certainly true. But there is one huge problem with that idea: It doesn't require you to make an entirely new sword for us to oggle!

Well if you feel that they aren't producing enough sword types you can always custom build a ton of rare sword types and give them away as myArmoury.com contests. Or sell them for thousands of dollars, but I didn't think that would be as tempting.

Oh, I think Albion are doing great filing out the Next Gen line with incredible speed and dedication.
It is just that there are always those swords that still needs some closer study. Never mind how many you add to a line, there will always be another interesting type or version youŽd whish was included.
WeŽll see just how tempting my handforged ones turn out to be.
With Albion covering a good spectrum of the most familiar types there is a possibility to explore some less well trod paths.
Perhaps even something turning to the fantastic or mythological?
WeŽll see what the future might bring.
(...and this is hijacking the thread, sorry Happy)
Alina Boyden

PostPosted: Mon 25 Oct, 2004 10:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter Johnsson wrote:

Oh, I think Albion are doing great filing out the Next Gen line with incredible speed and dedication.
It is just that there are always those swords that still needs some closer study. Never mind how many you add to a line, there will always be another interesting type or version youŽd whish was included.
WeŽll see just how tempting my handforged ones turn out to be.
With Albion covering a good spectrum of the most familiar types there is a possibility to explore some less well trod paths.
Perhaps even something turning to the fantastic or mythological?
WeŽll see what the future might bring.
(...and this is hijacking the thread, sorry Happy)

That's perfectly alright. I'm sure I'm not the only one around that wants to hear what sword ideas you've got rattling around in your head. We need a Peter Johnsson sword idea thread. Then you can just post drawings and waxes and ideas to bounce back and forth with people. People other than me preferably. My university is far too literature based at the moment for me to get into the nitty gritty details of sword design/development on any kind of academic level.
Brian M

PostPosted: Mon 25 Oct, 2004 11:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dear Peter,

Do you plan to sell a small number of hand-forged pieces through Albion each year? I had seen that mentioned but nothing definite. That will be fantastic, but at the moment I am focussed on purchasing the Sword of St. Maurice and the "Bayeaux" Type-X. I greatly look forward to the SoSM and plan to order the historical scabbard for it as well.

Regards,
Brian M
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 26 Oct, 2004 1:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Brian M wrote:
Dear Peter,

Do you plan to sell a small number of hand-forged pieces through Albion each year? I had seen that mentioned but nothing definite. That will be fantastic, but at the moment I am focussed on purchasing the Sword of St. Maurice and the "Bayeaux" Type-X. I greatly look forward to the SoSM and plan to order the historical scabbard for it as well.

Regards,
Brian M

Initially Howy contacted me in -99 asking me wether I could make swords to be sold through Albion. I liked the idea, but it turned out my production is not large enough for such a set up.
These last two years has mostly been spent doing design work, so not much has been produced in the smithy.
I like working together as member of a team but also look forward to spending more time in my own workshop.
The pace of development for new swords for Albion will be a little less intense over the next year and that will give more time for other projects.

These swords I make myself will mostly be made as avalable-now items and sold through my own coming website (peterjohnsson.com). You are most wecome to visit when the site functional.

The St. Maurice is a tremedous sword!
It is one of those that stand out among many others. It is very large. I visited Turino and the Royal Armouries there in the autumn 2000. The sword still stands out in my memory quite vividly. I could nto believe my luck hen they opened the vitrine and handed me the sword.

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Contest -- Name That Sword
Page 6 of 6 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: