Gendarmes at the battle of Marignano
Good day to all. :)

From what Ive read so far there were up to 2700 gendarmes present at the scene of battle, but I cant find anywhere more specific details about how would they be precicely equipped. (like how many would have horse armour, or complete armour at all, or if the figure of almost 3000 refers to men at arms alone) Im also interested in finding out nationalities that participated, how much foreign gendarmes would be there and also if there are any records about complete number of killed and wounded men and horses and their real effectiveness during battle.

Id appreciate any information to the subject. :)
You can check at www.condottieridiventura.it all battle done in Italy from 1300 to 1550,allinfo,but i uess in Italian.
Or,minfo at www.britannica.com.
Anyway,if you checkon Marignano battle 1515,you can find a lot,really a lot.
Andrea
Ive already checked all the books and sites possible on the internet but not found what I was looking for- nationality composition, losses, more detailed descriptions of their performance in battle. There is allways just brief description like they threw back swiss or were routed by swiss etc.

So I thought someone really interested in it and having access to high quality sources would like to share a little of his research. :)
On www.condottieridiventura.it,they mentioned how many died per each side,and who were injured,and who couldn'tmake it,between the higher ranks.But,it is only in Italian,i guess.
Hopeyou will find what you are lookin' for.
Andrea Scattolin :eek:
Jaroslav Kravcak wrote:
Ive already checked all the books and sites possible on the internet but not found what I was looking for

Have you checked the bibliographies, then? That's usually where I go if I can't find the information I need right away--at the very least it'd tell me about the primary sources I'd have to look for, such as potentially useful contemporary memoirs and reports.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: