Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Cinquedea repro in progress Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 
Danny Grigg

PostPosted: Fri 10 Dec, 2010 12:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tod

Great looking sword and scabbard. I don't think I've ever seen someone reproduce this type of sword before.

Have you got some stats for us? Overall length, blade length, blade width, crossguard width etc.

Thanks

Danny
Leo Todeschini
Industry Professional

Spotlight topics: 1

Feedback score: 100%
(3 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Mon 13 Dec, 2010 3:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Julien M wrote
Quote:
I'm confused. Did the scabbard have a leather core? (leather over leather) I can't picture a wood core warping once covered with glued leather.

The wood core is quite thin and never underestimate the power of animal glue. Basically the leather expands slightly when you apply the water based animal glue so naturally shrinks as it dries putting everything under tension and as this scabbard was quite wide and thin it felt it needed to warp.

Danny Grigg wrote
Quote:
Great looking sword and scabbard. I don't think I've ever seen someone reproduce this type of sword before.

Have you got some stats for us? Overall length, blade length, blade width, crossguard width etc.

I haven't seen any recent reproductions either, but I am sure this comment will get some out of the woodwork!

width at guard 64mm
width just behind tip 16mm
thickness at guard 6mm
POB 75mm from guard
COP 49cm from guard
Blade length 69cm
Length overall 84cm

It is getting sent off to the States today - boo hoo

regards

Tod

www.todsworkshop.com
www.todcutler.com
www.instagram.com/todsworkshop
https://www.facebook.com/TodsWorkshop
www.youtube.com/user/todsstuff1
Ryan A. Currier

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Mon 03 Jan, 2011 3:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello all!
I’m a first time writer, long time fan…. of both myArmoury and Mr. Tod’s work.
This cinquedea really made my Christmas this year. It arrived two days before everyone else in the family got to open their gifts, so there is that too Laughing Out Loud

I can’t really put into words how truly beautiful this thing is in person. It’s simply gorgeous. My friends and family who aren’t swordaphiles have, all of them, appreciated the complex work in the hilt and the well laid fullers. You tell someone who has no idea how it was made… How it was made… And then they really seem impressed!

It’s also quite a little hefty fellow! Definitely quick, but definitely substantial… It lets you know you are holding something that, though small (compared to the rest of my collection), can really do some damage.

And it can do some damage… I’m lucky enough to live with a creek behind my house with a good supply of bamboo running along its banks. After I slowly, carefully and with great anticipation, unwrapped the entire package (Tod makes a nice belt too! Ha), and after I had a few moments to look it all over, be amazed and such… I walked down to the creek and tried it out!

From the two positions I prefer to start things out with in casual contest, I cut the best, so I did my first cuts from Ochs (Is it wrong to use German with an Italian weapon?) and a position from Fiore, which I do not know of a name for, wherein you hold the tip behind and place your hand on the blade (mixing German and Italian is surely going to bother somebody…). It cuts wonderfully. It cuts well from any starting point, really….

I’ve only taken time to try thrusts out against a few boxes so far, but it performs fine in this task as well. If the thrust is deliberate, and you are extended in your motion, the blade doesn’t flex. If you just use the tip, and do so gingerly, it does flex some. So take that as you will… just trying to let you know what the cinquedea is about.
If anyone is interested, and not offended by boar hunting, I can let you know how it thrusts against bone and flesh sometime in the future…

The fittings are tight as hell. There are a few places where something may be a millimeter or so off, and there you can see epoxy, but this in no way takes away from the appearance of the sword.Very small imperfections remind me how talented Mr. Tod and Mr. Bush really are. Compare this sword to many found in records, on sale at Hermann Historica, or in the albums here on myArmoury… and you HAVE TO be impressed. Or should be, imho.

I didn’t mean to run long but I really, really do love this weapon. The best of the type to be made in around 500 years, if you ask me! Tod took the budget I had and worked with me. He took the details I gave him and brought them to a better place than I had imagined. The sword performs and looks great.

In closing…. Talk to Tod, if you want something nice for yourself.
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Mon 03 Jan, 2011 4:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ryan A. Currier wrote:

I didn’t mean to run long but I really, really do love this weapon. The best of the type to be made in around 500 years, if you ask me! Tod took the budget I had and worked with me. He took the details I gave him and brought them to a better place than I had imagined. The sword performs and looks great.

In closing…. Talk to Tod, if you want something nice for yourself.

There is no such thing as too long a review when the information is useful and entertaining at the same time.

And I already " talked " with Tod for an Eared Dagger due sometime mid year and your Cinquedea project certainly makes me even happier about my custom order. Wink Happy Cool

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Ryan A. Currier

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Mon 03 Jan, 2011 5:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I can't wait to see it!

Do you have any of the details worked out yet or are they top secret? Ha

Glad it wasn't too verbose a post.
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Mon 03 Jan, 2011 5:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ryan A. Currier wrote:
I can't wait to see it!

Do you have any of the details worked out yet or are they top secret? Ha

Glad it wasn't too verbose a post.

Nothing secret and I hope that Tod can document the making of it when he starts working on it and the design is mostly up to him but we discussed a blade length of around 11", very thick blade stock as this was historically what they where like and my preference also. The tang should be of the recessed type that Tod hasn't made before and wanted to try and I'm leaving aesthetic details completely up to him.

It should be roughly based on the Eared Dagger he shows on his web site in style of handle and blade bevels except that the Dagger shown doesn't have the recessed tang and the materials and colour of handle and fine details might differ.

http://www.todsstuff.co.uk/knives-military/ea...knives.htm

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Cinquedea repro in progress
Page 3 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: