Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Cinquedea repro in progress Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next 
Leo Todeschini
Industry Professional

Spotlight topics: 1

Feedback score: 100%
(3 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Fri 26 Nov, 2010 11:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Jesse,

Lovely sword and it just shows how much of an artform the rondels on their own are on these period pieces.

Well my humble attempt at a repro has been assembled.

I made the rivet washers from silver and cut and annealed the rivet pins and put them all to one side and heat blued the furniture in 3 pieces. I then assembled the guard with the silver spacers and the washers. When assembling a guard like this it is often helpful to clamp the two halves together whilst rivetting to make sure nothing moves apart or skids off slightly.

The guard was the test fitted to the blade just to make sure................

I then bonded the handle scales on and fitted the pins in and bonded them and then filed them flush and polished the handle up.

The pommel cap was the fitted and peened in place. This must be fully annealed as on a pommel this small you cannot use heat to help the process.

The final stage was to slide the guard back onto the blade and rivet the blade between the guard halves.

I will be starting on the scabbard next week and will get some numbers up for the sword then.

I hope you like it.

Tod

Attachment: 150.74 KB
DSCF5007.JPG

Attachment: 173.67 KB
DSCF5003.JPG

Attachment: 175.42 KB
DSCF5004.JPG

Attachment: 190.21 KB
DSCF5006.JPG

www.todsworkshop.com
www.todcutler.com
www.instagram.com/todsworkshop
https://www.facebook.com/TodsWorkshop
www.youtube.com/user/todsstuff1
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 231 books

Spotlight topics: 15

(10 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Fri 26 Nov, 2010 11:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tod,
Congratulations. That is just fantastic. Amazing craftsmanship all around. Happy

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Henrik Zoltan Toth

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Fri 26 Nov, 2010 11:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Outstanding.
Julien M

PostPosted: Sat 27 Nov, 2010 11:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Absolutely splendid!
Maurizio D'Angelo

PostPosted: Sat 27 Nov, 2010 12:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Leo,
excellent work. Bravo.
Pins are works of art. Eek!
I'd love a cinquedea, now.
Thank for the pics.

Ciao
Maurizio
Dan P

PostPosted: Sat 27 Nov, 2010 1:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's a WOW to be sure...
Wonderful, Outstanding Weapon
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

(6 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Sat 27 Nov, 2010 2:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Excellent work, that's going to be one very pleased customer.
"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Christian G. Cameron

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Sat 27 Nov, 2010 2:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Great thread--thanks for the look. I've never seen one of these in construction--now that I have, has anyone else commented on how VERY like the construction of a hoplite xiphos this style sword is? These didn't appear just after the Etruscan tombs were opened, did they? Happy
Christian G. Cameron

Qui plus fait, miex vault

www.hippeis.com
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sat 27 Nov, 2010 2:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jesse,
Thanks for those pics, by the way. Happy It was very interesting to see how the grip slabs on some of those in Vienna didn't match the shape of the tang. We see the same thing on some ear daggers. A cool feature.

Happy

ChadA

Bartek Strojek

PostPosted: Sat 27 Nov, 2010 3:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Flawless victory.
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sat 27 Nov, 2010 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Cinquedea repro in progress         Reply with quote

Leo Todeschini wrote:
Hi All,

I have found that posts from makers that show the work in progress are very interesting and so I will try and do that with this comission I have started on; not least because it is quite an unusual piece and has a fair set of nasty technical challenges that will be interesting for me and so hopefully for you.

Yes these in progress Topic are very interesting and the work is impressive and very desirable. Big Grin Cool

Just a note to Leo that when he makes my recently ordered Eared Dagger I would be very happy if he decides to make a similar in progress Topic for it as I (we) would learn more about how these are put together.

By the way this Topic helped a great deal in pushing me over the " edge " from thinking about having an Eared Dagger made and actually ordering one Wink Laughing Out Loud

How long is the Cinquedea blade and OAL ? It does look like more the sword sized Cinquedea. ( Just a guess but I think around 22" ??? ).

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

Reading list: 327 books

Spotlight topics: 32

(12 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Sat 27 Nov, 2010 9:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tod, this piece turned out beautifully. I quite like your design choices.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sat 27 Nov, 2010 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Cinquedea repro in progress         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:

How long is the Cinquedea blade and OAL ? It does look like more the sword sized Cinquedea. ( Just a guess but I think around 22" ??? ).

Jean,
In the first post, Tod wrote:

Quote:
The brief for the project is to make a cinquedea with a blade based on this one from Records of the Medieval Sword but 27" inches long and the hilt is to be of a more traditional form rather than the sword hilt form, so similar to the one on the adjoining page in shape though not in construction. The guard and pommel cap are to be in blued steel, which is unusual in a cinquedea and the handle slabs in bone and the mosaic pins in silver and the peening cap, guard rivets and chape also in silver.

Happy

ChadA

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sat 27 Nov, 2010 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Cinquedea repro in progress         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
Jean Thibodeau wrote:

Jean,
In the first post, Tod wrote:

Quote:
The brief for the project is to make a cinquedea with a blade based on this one from Records of the Medieval Sword but 27" inches long and the hilt is to be of a more traditional form rather than the sword hilt form, so similar to the one on the adjoining page in shape though not in construction. The guard and pommel cap are to be in blued steel, which is unusual in a cinquedea and the handle slabs in bone and the mosaic pins in silver and the peening cap, guard rivets and chape also in silver.

My eyes must have skipped over that for some reason although I thought I had read and re-read the first post a few times: Hate when that happens. Eek! Blush

Leo Todeschini
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 29 Nov, 2010 12:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I really would like to say thank you to you all, the comments have been incredibly positive and that is always a great compliment and a spur to continue and is really appreciated and I am glad that it has turned out to be interesting for you as well.

As it turned out there is a slight detail I have forgotten to put in, so there will be a slight caddition to the sword over the next few days and I will start on the scabbard as well.

Chad Arnow wrote
Quote:
Jesse,
Thanks for those pics, by the way. It was very interesting to see how the grip slabs on some of those in Vienna didn't match the shape of the tang. We see the same thing on some ear daggers. A cool feature.

Yes the handle scales being wider than the tang is a feature found on both cinquedea and also on ear daggers, which of course show many form similarities and are of the same kind of period and location (in many instances) . I have not made or handled a piece with this feature as shown on the Cinquedea posted by Jesse but it does not look very comfortable and I discussed this with the client at the start and we decided to go for a full shape tang, but I have a couple of ear daggers coming up so maybe I will opt for this if the clients are willing - to be discussed Jean!

Jean Thibodeau wrote
Quote:
Just a note to Leo that when he makes my recently ordered Eared Dagger I would be very happy if he decides to make a similar in progress Topic for it as I (we) would learn more about how these are put together.

I will make a point of it Jean, they are also another very interesting dagger and again rather tricky to make so should prove a good topic to post up and in general I will try and do more of this when I have things that merit it.

Owen Bush wrote
Quote:
This is looking very good Tod
I always like the process of seeing a plain piece of steel leave the forge and manifest its self into one of Tods creations.
I will want to have this one in my hand before it goes to its new home.

For all those worried, Owen had his wish today. We met up to work on another job building trebuchets with school teachers and I took the sword along for him to have a play with.

Regards

Tod

www.todsworkshop.com
www.todcutler.com
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Mon 29 Nov, 2010 3:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Leo Todeschini wrote:

Yes the handle scales being wider than the tang is a feature found on both cinquedea and also on ear daggers, which of course show many form similarities and are of the same kind of period and location (in many instances) . I have not made or handled a piece with this feature as shown on the Cinquedea posted by Jesse but it does not look very comfortable and I discussed this with the client at the start and we decided to go for a full shape tang, but I have a couple of ear daggers coming up so maybe I will opt for this if the clients are willing - to be discussed Jean!

I assume that wider than the tang means more than a hidden tang in that the wider scales leave the tang exposed but in a recessed slot between then scales plates Question ( EDITED: Sort of see it in the pics posted by Jesse but it's hard to see except in one of them that the tang is below the edges of the scales and I think I can see scale liners Question )

Well, I can see some issues with comfort in the hand versus some pleasant surprises as the grip might be enhanced by the long longitudinal groove on each side ? if the inner edges are chamfered or rounded it might not be uncomfortable ?

I would also be concerned about a natural material like bone or wood being exposed to damage unless there is some edging of metal protecting the corners ? Don't know exactly how this would be done but a metal liner on the contact side of the scales would be flush with the sided of the scales and follow their contours ...... these would also be a good place for file work ?

But bottom lines: I'm intrigued and I would tend to be " willing " more than not. Wink Big Grin Cool Much more interesting than just repeating doing it the other way and experiment finding out how these feel in the hand. Our expectations may be that it wouldn't be comfortable but if it was a bad design functionally I don't think it would have been used historically i.e. we can pretty much assume that they knew what they where doing, and if it doesn't add anything useful to handling it would at least not make the handling worse. Wink Exclamation Question

Fabrice Cognot
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 29 Nov, 2010 4:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very cool Cool

Congratulations - can't wait to see the scabbard.

Cheers

Fab

PhD in medieval archeology.
HEMAC member
De Taille et d'Estoc director
Maker of high quality historical-inspired pieces.
R D Moore

PostPosted: Mon 29 Nov, 2010 5:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It's beautiful! It belongs next to your bone crossbow!

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...e+crossbow

"No man is entitled to the blessings of freedom unless he be vigilant in its preservation" ...Gen. Douglas Macarthur
Leo Todeschini
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 08 Dec, 2010 3:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks everybody.

Well the scabbard became a bit of a nightmare. After glueing the first leather on with hide glue the scabbard warped and was beyond saving so I made a second scabbard and sewed it this time. To make a similar scabbard to those shown the work involved would (for me) exceed the work in the sword so I opted for another route I saw on a Longsword scabbard in Paris where the scabbard had a pattern of gilded studs. The client liked the floral theme so I went for floral studs.

The chape is in silver and the suspension is pretty typical of cinquedea scabbards and can be worn either left or right handed (he is left handed but may want to sell at some point).

So here it is all done and dusted. I was going to add some pin work onto the slabs but felt with the bluing that this could be dangerous so opted not to.

It has been a long time coming, but I am pleased with the result and thanks for watching.

The sword finally came in at 2lb 5oz (1050g) This relatively heavy, but the blade is broad and the slab tang is solid and full width so this is cetainly where some of the weight is. The POB is about 3" forward of the guard.

Regards

Tod

Attachment: 191.49 KB
cinq scabb back.jpg

Attachment: 210.08 KB
cinq scabb 3.jpg

Attachment: 187.37 KB
cinq scabb 2.jpg

Attachment: 238.67 KB
cinq scabb 1.jpg

www.todsworkshop.com
www.todcutler.com
Julien M

PostPosted: Wed 08 Dec, 2010 3:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm running out of superlatives...Let's just say the all package looks absolutely fantastic.
That's one hell of a Christmas gift...and whoever ends up with this sword is a very lucky fellow.

Leo Todeschini wrote:
After glueing the first leather on with hide glue the scabbard warped and was beyond saving so I made a second scabbard and sewed it this time.

I'm confused. Did the scabbard have a leather core? (leather over leather) I can't picture a wood core warping once covered with glued leather.

Seeing this make me want to go back to the workbench asap. Thanks for this thread again.

Cheers,

Julien

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Cinquedea repro in progress
Page 2 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: