Display Help
Hey guys, looking for a site or advice on a display case for swords. The wife hates the traditional multi-sword hangers so I'm looking to build my own. I am looking for something that I can hang on the wall that I can close to keep people's fingers off the blades.

Any suggestions?

Wes
If Chad Arnow sees this post maybe he can post a picture of his solution. He had "hands" concerns too and addressed it very well IMO.

Last edited by Joe Fults on Sun 22 Aug, 2004 4:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Read This Topic and This Topic and This Topic.

None specifically address hanging it on the wall, but this is what others have done.
Chad's is on the last topic link in Nathan's post.

I hope Chad does not mind me posting this, becuase its his rig not mine. I also am moving some of his pictures, for convenience. thing is, his solution really is impressive seen first hand.

What does not show up all that well in the photo, is that Chad has a standard sword stand (off the shelf) that he fits into the bottom of the curio. End reslut is attractive and and secures the swords. Again, I was very impressed with the setup as Chad pieced it together, its attractive and effective.
No worries about posting the pics, Joe.

My setup sits on the floor, of course. I was going to build a cabinet, but I found one at a store and bought it instead. If you don't have tools or experience (which I didn't and still don't), buying is a good way to go. By the time you factor in tools (a couple hundred bucks), materials (potentially another couple hundred for nice wood, glass, stain, etc.) plus time and bandaids :), you can find a curio in a store for $500-$600, sometimes less.
Very nice Chad, I like the simple but effective method of combining the two. Thanks for the links Nathan, I will check them out and hopefully post my end result back soon. Thanks guys

Wes
I have a rack similar to the one above. I like it. I wish mine were filled with all those pretty Next Gens ;) Close! But not quite there yet.
The construction on this display isn't too diicult to reproduce. It helps if you have a radial saw though. The shorter one tends to be a space hog though.

Don

Attachment: 102.99 KB
reduced case.jpg

Attachment: 100.58 KB
short crop.jpg

Ok guys, I just started a prototype single sword\scabbard case with a lockable door. I'm still debating on pane glass or plexi-glass. This one I am building out of white pine since it is cheap. I'll post some pics soon.

Wes

By the way, nice job Don. I like the small one and I think I would consider building a cabinet base to store cleaning\sharpening materials etc..
Hey Don, where did you get the stands for the gauntlets and swords? Did you make them?
Thanks Wes,
The gauntlet stand is really simple. Just take round iron rods and cut them to the proper height. Then install wooden disks on the end to fit the cuff of the gauntlet. You may add an interior support rod to make the fingers stand up straighter if that is necessary. Finally, finish the iron with rustoleum. I suggest staggering the gauntlet height to make the display more interesting. If you need any technical help, just PM me or email, I'll be glad to give some assistance.

Don
Well, here is the basic framework so far. The case is assembled and now I'm working on the door. Once this is finished I will stain and add the final touches.

Attachment: 20.76 KB
CaseFrame.jpg
Basic box..heh heh

Attachment: 21.13 KB
DoorFrame.jpg
Making sure its square

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: