Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > the spangenhelmet Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next 
E. Abela

PostPosted: Sun 28 Nov, 2010 3:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
Here's an old photo of one, provence unknown.

Mr. Kelly can you be so kind as to provide some more information regarding this helmet. For example I am interested to know in what publication the photograph was published and in what collection or museum the helmet resided at the time, if stated. Also is there any conjecture regarding origin or dating, in this publication, since you have specified it as provenance unknown.

This is the only post-11th c spangenhelm that I have ever seen, I know its provenance unknown but I place in it the 11th-early 12th c bracket only because it is displayed on a number of plates in Osprey books by D. Nicolle. However in the descriptions the original source from which the drawn helmet is derived (or inspired) is never provided.

Thank you in advance.
R D Moore

Reading list: 11 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 28 Nov, 2010 11:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Raino S wrote:
Chad Arnow wrote:
I've never heard of a bandehelm. That's a new term for me. It just looks like a spangehelm with a less involved frame. Since it's still made up of pieces, "spangenhelm" is still an appropriate term, right?

"spangen" specifically refer to the metal strip framework that the helmet plates are bolted onto.
the picture you posted is of a segmented helm, where the helmet plates are bolted directly together, without any "spangens".

Can you cite this? I can't seem to find anything to corroborate your definition.
Thanks

"No man is entitled to the blessings of freedom unless he be vigilant in its preservation" ...Gen. Douglas Macarthur
Maurizio D'Angelo

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Sun 28 Nov, 2010 3:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

from the book: L'esercito Romano by Giuseppe Cascarino pag. 134

spangenhelm: segments connected by rivets with radial bands (spangen, if the traslation is correct).
It appears for the first time around the fourth century.
Many spangenhelm described.
No other definition.
Apparently the first to wear these helmets were the Sarmatians.
Trajan's Column there are Sarmatian knights with this type of helmet.

Ciao
Maurizio
R D Moore

Reading list: 11 books

PostPosted: Sun 28 Nov, 2010 4:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Maurizio. I found a picture of the Sarmatians and Dacians on Trajan's column and I'll find the statement by Mr. Cascarino.

Now, back to your search Raino. Thank you for indulging me.

"No man is entitled to the blessings of freedom unless he be vigilant in its preservation" ...Gen. Douglas Macarthur
Elling Polden

PostPosted: Mon 29 Nov, 2010 10:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

"Spang" is a germanic word for narrow plate metal or rail. As such "Spang" could refer to both the pieces and the framework.
I am not sure if the norse used the term "Spanghelm" or it is a later import from german historians. The general shape is refered to as a "pointed helm" or "peak helm". Sometimes these are described as "four-pieced".

Rather than use a number of different definitions, one could talk about single, two, four, x plated pointed helms. The shape is the same, the only difference is how it is put together.

The depictions of helmeted viking show a variety constructions. For instance, the Ledeberg stone could be interpented as two plate, while the sigtuna figure could have four;

"this [fight] looks curious, almost like a game. See, they are looking around them before they fall, to find a dry spot to fall on, or they are falling on their shields. Can you see blood on their cloths and weapons? No. This must be trickery."
-Reidar Sendeman, from King Sverre's Saga, 1201
Till J. Lodemann

PostPosted: Tue 30 Nov, 2010 12:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Certainly the english terminology is not very clear.

As the english terminology on this subject derives from the german, I am happy give a short summary of what terminology we use in Germany.
Maybe it helps to clear the blurry terminology here.

In german, "Spangenhelm" means a helmet constructed along the lines of the Type Baldenheim/Nerona, the classical merovingian helmet with (usually six) T shaped copper bands (which we call Spangen in german) joining in a central plate on the top and beeing riveted to head band and with pointed oval plates (segments) riveted into this frame to fill the gaps.

But often this term is also used to refer to any helmet with similar construction lines, the defining feature are the "Spangen" (singular "Spange"), the bands forming the cross, to wich the filling plates/segments are riveted.
So the helmets from Der el Medina (both of them) and Gjermudbu (which is more specifcly called a Brillenhelm) could also be called Spangenhelme.
In this wider definition, the number of Spangen is also not important as long as they are more then two.

The late roman helmets (Types Intercisa and Bercasovo) are usually called "Kammhelm" (the direct homology to the normal english term for them: "Ridge Helmet") or the older term " Bügelhelm" (eng. "Bail Helmet"), but those of the vendelperiod helmets which are equally constructed are also called Kammhelm.

Bandhelm is not generally used in Germany but is sometimes used to describe the Kammhelme.

Lamellenhelm is the term for helmets which are constructed of flexibly joined lames, for example the helmets from Kertch and Niederstotzingen.

Segmenthelm is the term for helmets used to describe helmets constructed of segments riveted to each other without Spangen.

Generally, we make a clear distinction between different construction methods of the helmet, but this has nothing to do with either the siluette (e.g. conical or round topped) or the other features (e.g. cheeckbone guards, facemasks or cheeckguards) of the helmet.
Nathan Beal

PostPosted: Tue 30 Nov, 2010 4:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You mention two helms from England i haven;t come across before, named 'french-norman' and 'thames' do you have any additional info on these?

Strictly speaking I believe that all of the earlier english helmets are known as crested helms (though they are are spangenhelm construction), see "The Anglian Helmet from Coppergate" D Tweedle

AFAIK the Northampton helm is more correctly known as the Pioneer Helm, see wikipedia for explanation (i wrote the article).

Technically if the helm does not have bands (as is the case with many of the eastern European examples) it is not a spangenhelm, these are usually known as 'Great Polish'.

HTH
N

Beware of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.
Raino S

PostPosted: Tue 30 Nov, 2010 6:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

the "thames" helmet, people actually doesn't know the exact location where it was found. it is believed to have either originated from the river thames, or northern france.. also i might have duplicated the same helmet. first without the nasal restored(norman four-plate), and then restored one with a nasal.
Nathan Beal

PostPosted: Tue 30 Nov, 2010 8:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Raino S wrote:
the "thames" helmet, people actually doesn't know the exact location where it was found. it is believed to have either originated from the river thames, or northern france.. also i might have duplicated the same helmet. first without the nasal restored(norman four-plate), and then restored one with a nasal.

Any idea where it is? Any documentation on it?

Beware of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.
Matt Corbin

Reading list: 12 books

PostPosted: Tue 30 Nov, 2010 9:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'd be very interested in any additional information on this mysterious "thames" helm as well.
“This was the age of heroes, some legendary, some historical . . . the misty borderland of history where fact and legend mingle.”
- R. Ewart Oakeshott
Raino S

PostPosted: Tue 30 Nov, 2010 10:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

http://www.reenactment.de/reenactment_start/r...guide.html

this is the website that i first found the picture of the "thames/northern france" helm.

it doesn't really give away much more information than that it was found in either thames, or northern france.
Raino S

PostPosted: Tue 30 Nov, 2010 10:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Raino S wrote:
http://www.reenactment.de/reenactment_start/reenactment_startseite/diverses/kitguide/kitguide.html

this is the website that i first found the picture of the "thames/northern france" helm.

it doesn't really give away much more information than that it was found in either thames, or northern france.

the other one.. seems like i actually found it on hermann historica..
here:
http://www.hermann-historica.de/auktion/hhm50...b=A-50.txt
Johan Gemvik

PostPosted: Wed 01 Dec, 2010 4:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

In my personal opinion "Spangen helmet" cover all types of segmented helmets. Possibly even as far back as boar tusk and other ancient designs, In contrast to single piece helmets. If this is the true and correct way to interpret the definition I have no idea. "Rail" if intended to be the linking pieces sounds like it would only apply to some few variants but like many words and definitions it may well have taken on a wider meaning over the years.

I find it very interesting that a closer look at the Bayeux tapestry reveals what seems to be typical four-plate spangens with no connecting strip. It explains the conical shape since this type is easier to make conical than round topped and the Normans would have had them produced in great numbers for the invasion. There are examples of round topped 4-piece overlap construction even when it's not obvious at first glance. Like the Gjermundbu helmet which on close examination has four overlapping plates with a reinforcement band covering the seams as a cross over the top. The cross is not really holding the helmet pieces together as it only has the one row of rivets along it. So is this the "Rail" meant, a cross added for strength rather than a part keeping it all together?

This all leads me to think that possiby four plates overlapping was the most common way to construct helmets in the later half of the viking age and, also possibly if the tapestry is to be believed and interpreted that way, the most common on the Hastings battlefield? At the very least one wouldn't have to be embarrassed wearing a 4-piece overlap spangen when depicting a Norman of Hastings.

"The Dwarf sees farther than the Giant when he has the giant's shoulder to mount on" -Coleridge
Matthew Amt

PostPosted: Wed 01 Dec, 2010 6:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Beal wrote:
Strictly speaking I believe that all of the earlier english helmets are known as crested helms (though they are are spangenhelm construction), see "The Anglian Helmet from Coppergate" D Tweedle

Other authorities, particularly Late Roman historians, use the term "ridge helmet". In fact, they will go so far as to differentiate ridge helmets (Sutton Hoo, Coppergate, Pioneer, Vendel/Valsgarde, and many Late Roman styles) from actual spangenhelms, one distinction being that on a spangenhelm the segments and bands all come to the center in a radial fashion, whereas on a ridge helmet you have definite right and left halves joined by a fore-and-aft ridge.

*I* don't insist on such nit-pickiness, though it can be useful when you get into a really technical discussion!

Matthew
Scott Woodruff

PostPosted: Wed 01 Dec, 2010 8:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If you want to see an example of a late period (12th c, from memory) spagenhelm, check out "Arms and uniforms" by Fred and Lillian Funken. I may have the wrong title but the authors names are right. They describe and illustrate a strange spagenhelm with hanging neck and cheek guards and nasal.
Elling Polden

PostPosted: Wed 01 Dec, 2010 8:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Lewis chessmen (ca 1150-1200) have pointed helms without nasals, but hanging cheek and neck pieces. These look like single piece constructions, however.

"this [fight] looks curious, almost like a game. See, they are looking around them before they fall, to find a dry spot to fall on, or they are falling on their shields. Can you see blood on their cloths and weapons? No. This must be trickery."
-Reidar Sendeman, from King Sverre's Saga, 1201
E. Abela

PostPosted: Wed 01 Dec, 2010 11:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You may be interested in the following.

The photo of ‘Thames’ helmet appearing on the following website:
http://www.reenactment.de/reenactment_start/r...guide.html

is derived from:

Gravett, C., ‘Norman Knight 950-1204 AD’, Warrior No.1, Osprey Publishing, London, 1993, p6.

It was apparently a part of the MET NY collection at time of publication of book.

Also see:
http://time-lines.co.uk/norman-spangenhelm-he...033-0.html
Seems to have been discussed here: http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=18571

Regards.
Robert Rootslane

PostPosted: Wed 01 Dec, 2010 12:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Not totally ontopic perhaps but i didnt want to create another one for it.

Im planning to build a gjermundbu helmet and have a few qestions about it...

Firstly was the helmet made of 4 peaces or 2 halves? The 4 metal strips would suggest 4 plates but ive seen some sold on the internet that are made of 2 halves...

Secondly, how are the peaces attached to each other? Someone mentioned that the plates overlapped eachother, is that really so? And if so then in what order?

Also another thing i have wondered about is that on the picture of the original theare seems to be no spike, but almost every reproduktion i have seen has it. So wheare does the spike come from? Is it a part of the original or just a creation of modern ninja culture Big Grin ?
Raino S

PostPosted: Wed 01 Dec, 2010 7:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

made this thing:
www.dejawolf.com/gjermundbu.jpg

it seems like it might have been a clamped construction, where the four faceplates are clamped to the spangens.
afterwards, it seems like the plates have then been stitched to hold the plates together.
Robert Rootslane

PostPosted: Fri 03 Dec, 2010 7:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

thank you

I must admit i never expected it to be put together this way... Why such a weird method of construction? Im sure a regular spangenhelm method or overlapping plates would pe more durable...
Also maby the wire was added in museoum for the helmet not to fall into peaces?

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > the spangenhelmet
Page 2 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: